Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philippe_44
    • May 2008

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP and SqueezeliteESP32

> Can you tell me what was the url of the RP interactive stream involved?

Unfortunately no. That's one for next time, sorry.

--

Michael
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3
  • philippe_44
    • May 2008

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP and SqueezeliteESP32

This is a pre-announce of the SqueezeliteESP32 (Software) and SqueezeAMP project(s). @bgirault sparkle the initial idea of using espressif chipset to build a squeezebox from scratch then @sle118 suggested to try esp32 instead and port squeezelite. I jumped in to help and recently we have been joined by @daduke.

There are 2 components of the project: SqueezeAMP which is the audio board and SqueezeESP32 which is the software that runs on it. SqueezelisteESP32 can also be compiled to run on any espressif esp32 board, I'll come back on that

1- SqueezeAMP: The project lives here https://github.com/philippe44/Squeez...ster/README.md. It's a complete audio board with the following characteristic
    • integrated power amplifier up to 2x20W
    • analogue line-out (which can be used as a headset output, with some precaution)
    • opticial spdif
    • WiFi and BT connectivity
    • power from 5-20V
    • battery charger and automatic switch (battery can be 2 or 3xLiIon cells)
    • all inputs/outputs (including reset and power on) are using through connectors so they can be un-populated and replaced by wires for integrating inside another design
    • 3 extension connectors with 5, 2 and 3 generic purpose IO (i2s, i2c, spi, gpio)
    • can provide 3.3V regulated output 100mA++ for external devices
    • the board is modular, so you can chose to not build the battery system and not build the amplifier (removes line-out)

2- SqueezeliteESP32 lives here https://github.com/philippe44/squeezelite-esp32. It's the software to run on the SqueezeAMP but it can be used on any esp32-based devices.
    • full port of squeezelite (up to 192kHz samplerate, but 16 bits only)
    • pcm, aif, alac, flac, mp3, ogg, opus, aac (mp4) codecs
    • resampling to and from any rate
    • synchronization with other squeezeboxes
    • BT sink (play from any BT-capable devices)
    • AirPlay sink with synchronization (play from any iOS/iTunes or compatible device)
    • when used with SqueezeAMP, plays on internal amplifier, analogue line-out, spdif or send audio to a BT device (external speaker or headset)
    • when used standalone, it can output to BT, an i2s DAC or a spdif connector.
    • you can even do funny things like AirPlay to Bluetooth ...

This is an non-commercial, open source, free project. I have build a few SqueezeAMP board, but this is manual work that cannot scale. Anybody can make their own, there is all the information available on the github repositories

We will continue to evolve the software and the board, but at this point we wanted to gauge interest from the community here to have a small batch of SqueezeAMP made by my PCB vendor. It would be delivered with the board fully populated and the full set of connectors, but these would not be mounted so that you can chose how you want to integrate the board. There will be no $ margin taken, but I estimate that if we can build around 30 units, price will be somewhere between 50 to 70$. This is not the cheapest ever, I know, but I think it brings plenty and there is no magic when volume is small.

Please understand this is not a professional project, so if you are interested, let us know but be mindful that it comes with no warranty of any kind.

The esp32 has plenty of potential to add features, from a LCD and few buttons for local control to a microphone for vocal command, but that we'll have to be later if there is interest. We would also need to build a case, so CAD expert are welcome to help
    Click image for larger version

Name:	top.png
Views:	1
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1566978Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5096.JPG
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1566975Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.png
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1566979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5094.JPG
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1566976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5097.JPG
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1566977
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-09-03, 21:34.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• mherger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP andSqueezeliteESP32

> We will continue to evolve the software and the board, but at this point
      > we wanted to gauge interest from the community here to have a small
      > batch of SqueezeAMP made by my PCB vendor. It would be delivered with
      > the board fully populated and the full set of connectors, but these
      > would not be mounted so that you can chose how you want to integrate the
      > board.

I've been following the discussion silently, but with great interest!
      What I haven't understood so far is how involved building the board and
      the software is. I would love to tinker around, but have close to zero
      soldering experience. And what does it need to flash a board, and
      potentially un-brick it?

> build around 30 units, price will be somewhere between 50 to 70$. This
      > is not the cheapest ever, I know, but I think it brings plenty and there
      > is no magic when volume is small.

You could count me in.

--

Michael
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Julf
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mherger
        You could count me in.
        Likewise, but... Chinese suppliers are now getting pretty good at even small batches. Maybe worth looking into doing a fully assembled batch?
        "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• philippe_44
          • May 2008

potentially un-brick it?

You could count me in.

Michael
          Originally posted by Julf
          Likewise, but... Chinese suppliers are now getting pretty good at even small batches. Maybe worth looking into doing a fully assembled batch?
          Great! Yes, that's the idea to get a batch of ~30 fully assembled from my usual PCB vendor (PCBWay)

Comment

• philippe_44
            • May 2008

> We will continue to evolve the software and the board, but at this point
            > we wanted to gauge interest from the community here to have a small
            > batch of SqueezeAMP made by my PCB vendor. It would be delivered with
            > the board fully populated and the full set of connectors, but these
            > would not be mounted so that you can chose how you want to integrate the
            > board.

potentially un-brick it?

> build around 30 units, price will be somewhere between 50 to 70$. This
            > is not the cheapest ever, I know, but I think it brings plenty and there
            > is no magic when volume is small.

You could count me in.

--

Michael
            The board will be fully assembled, except for the connectors unless there is a preference to have them as well in whoch case there is no hardware tinkering involved, except connecting the speakers .
            For flashing it, you need to use, at least for the first time, a usb to serial converter, but that's super easy. I think we'll be happy to do the first download if needed. And then, @sle118 and @daduke are working on an OTA procedure where there will be no need to connect anything anymore (although it helps to debug and if bricked).
            @sle118 is working on a jenkins build infra so that it's not necessary to have to install espressif build system

Comment

• RobbH
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by philippe_44
              The board will be fully assembled, except for the connectors unless there is a preference to have them as well in whoch case there is no hardware tinkering involved, except connecting the speakers . ....
              I'll be in, IF the connectors are already soldered in place. I'm not part of the core group for this purchase, though: not a serious developer or builder, just somebody who likes to tinker, but prefers to steer clear of hardware. I could probably handle the soldering if I had to, but it's an obstacle that I'd rather not deal with.
              Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with a mix of Squeezebox Radio, Boom, Touch, and virtual players.

Comment

• chill
                • Mar 2007

I’ll take two. Populated except for the through-hole parts would be perfect. I’d be interested in having a go at making a case in AutoCAD, suitable for 3D printing. Do you have any design files with accurate dimensions?

Comment

• philippe_44
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by chill
                  I’ll take two. Populated except for the through-hole parts would be perfect. I’d be interested in having a go at making a case in AutoCAD, suitable for 3D printing. Do you have any design files with accurate dimensions?
                  Here is a gerber simple PCB outline and a step model. Let me know if it helps

Comment

• sle118
                    • Dec 2009

@Philippe_44, thanks for the extensive write up. I'm happy to see there's interest outside of the thread where this all started! I've been a huge fan of the squeezebox ecosystem and bringing a new "all in one" option outside of the left overs from eBay it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. This platform is so simple compared to DIY alternatives that it becomes an attractive option.

Hoping others can enjoy some simplicity as well!
                    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
                    6xSqueezeAmp, several other ESP32-Wrover boards with jumper wires flying around, some with ethernet!

Comment

• mherger
                      Babelfish's Best Boy
                      • Apr 2005

pre-ANNOUNCE: SqueezeAMP andSqueezeliteESP32

> For flashing it, you need to use, at least for the first time, a usb to
                      > serial converter, but that's super easy. I think we'll be happy to do
                      > the first download if needed.

I should still have one around from SB beta days. Let's see whether I
                      can still get them to work with the latest macOS. Is anybody in your
                      group using a Mac?

> And then, @sle118 and @daduke are working
                      > on an OTA procedure where there will be no need to connect anything
                      > anymore (although it helps to debug and if bricked).

The very reason why I got those adapters :-).

--

Michael
                      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• daduke
                        • Apr 2013

> For flashing it, you need to use, at least for the first time, a usb to
                        > serial converter, but that's super easy. I think we'll be happy to do
                        > the first download if needed.

I should still have one around from SB beta days. Let's see whether I
                        can still get them to work with the latest macOS. Is anybody in your
                        group using a Mac?
                        hey Michael, long time no see!
                        There's no reason the USB adapter shouldn't work, but if for some reason it doesn't, just get one off aliexpress for $3..
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        1 x Touch, 2 x Radio, 1 x squeezeAMP, 6 x squeezeESP32, 1 x ESP32-A1S, LMS 8.0.0

Comment

• chill
                          • Mar 2007

Here is a gerber simple PCB outline and a step model. Let me know if it helps

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8u4vw4ffd...DZatpZtba?dl=0
                          The step file is perfect, thank you. Any thoughts on how tall the two heatsinks on the underside need to be? Are they the tallest parts on the underside?

Comment

• Julf
                            • Dec 2010

Great! Yes, that's the idea to get a batch of ~30 fully assembled from my usual PCB vendor (PCBWay)
                            Great! In that case, I would actually be interested in 2.
                            "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• philippe_44
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by chill
                              The step file is perfect, thank you. Any thoughts on how tall the two heatsinks on the underside need to be? Are they the tallest parts on the underside?
                              They are, their height is 4.8mm, so I assume they stick ~7mm above PCB. The bottom of the case is where one might want to add a fan maybe at least something like that https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...106-ND/1165500.

Although I've decided to move to a 2-LiIon battery cell and a 12V power supply to minimize heat

Comment

Working...