Annouce: Squeeze Control, a squeezebox remote app, is now available for Android

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wt0
    • Jul 2008

Annouce: Squeeze Control, a squeezebox remote app, is now available for Android

Now Available in the Amazon App Store.

Squeeze Control has been republish as Squeeze Ctrl after the former app was removed from the Play Store.

For current owners who wish to purchase the republished version, email or pm me your order number and I will refund your original purchase. It looks like Google will only let me refund orders as old as October 24th, 2013 and this limit will probably slowly move forward too.

Also, the licensing system within the original app is still functional and refunding the app will probably cause the existing app to stop working.

If you bought tablet mode, I will need the order number of that purchase as well to refund it.

Features:
    - Replicates almost all of the functionality of a SqueezeBox Controller, including the context menus and plugin apps.
    - Incremental list loading for fast navigation through the menus.
    - Works with both MySqueezebox.com and Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox Server) as the music source.
    - Automatic server discovery.
    - Customizable backgrounds for each player.
    - Works with multiple servers, players can be switched between servers.
    - Mini controls in the notification area lets you control your Squeezebox even when the app is in the background.
    - Song Downloading - download songs from your server to the device.
    - Player Manager for easy syncing/unsyncing of players.
    - Customizable Home menu.
    - Pebble Smartwatch support.
    - Android Wear Support
    - Chromecast support (Now Playing display only, no audio)
    - Can pause music during a phone call.
    - Support for device docks.
    - App Widget (home screen and lock screen)
    - Tablet Mode (requires In-App purchase)

Requirements:
    - Android 4.0+
    - Logitech Media Server version 7.7 or better

The support thread is here:
    This is the official support thread for Squeeze Control for Android. Squeeze Control has been republished as Squeeze Ctrl after the former app was removed from the Play Store...

Intents for Tasker:

Squeeze Control was removed from Google Play due to Google's idiotic belief that the display of album covers requires the content owners authorization.

For current owners who need to sideload the app, the APK is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9m...ew?usp=sharing

This apk will never be updated.

For anyone who feel that the removal was unfair and would like to protest, I would recommend flagging the "Google Play Music" app as inappropriate with the following reason "This app is not authorized to publish album covers on behalf of the original content or brand owner"
    Last edited by wt0; 2015-03-12, 00:54.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for Android and Windows UWP, http://www.angrygoatapps.com
  • pippin
    • Oct 2007

Interesting App. Would like to know whether that price point works out for you on Android, though.

The one thing I keep wondering: this is at least the 5th or 6th serious Android App with a phone UI, but there is not ONE with a tablet UI. And it's like that not only for Squeezebox Apps but for all kinds of Apps, I still have to run into my first convincing tablet App of any kind on Android.

I mean: in the past there were simply no Android tablets but that should no longer be the case given all the Kindles, Nexis and Nooks around so is there a reason within Android why nobody does this?

Wouldn't that be an opportunity? Stefan, wouldn't that be something for you? (and sorry wt0 for spoiling the thread... How about you on a tablet App?)
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• kidstypike
      • Feb 2007

Swindled! Twice!!

Installed it on my Nexus 7, cost £6.22, went to install it on my Motorola smartphone, it doesn't show up in Googleplay, is this app for tablets only?

It's now showing as £3.73 on Googleplay on my Nexus 7.
      Attached Files
      Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
      Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
      Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
      Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• pippin
        • Oct 2007

Oh. Strange kind of "earlybird" pricing....
        ---
        at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• wt0
          • Jul 2008

Nah..., I originally gave it the same price I had used on webOS, then started looking around and realized that everything else is lower priced including ipeng. Since I don't have the luxury of having no competition like I did on webOS, I lowered the priced a couple hours after I published it. I didn't think anyone would be so quick to get it.

Actually it's mostly for phones. I set it to be available for devices with 7" and smaller screens so the Nexus 7 is the largest device it should be available on.

It does require Android 4.0.3 (API level15) or better. Maybe your phone using 4.0.0(API 14)?

I'll go check compatibility with with 4.0.0....
          --------------

Comment

• wt0
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by pippin
            Interesting App. Would like to know whether that price point works out for you on Android, though.

The one thing I keep wondering: this is at least the 5th or 6th serious Android App with a phone UI, but there is not ONE with a tablet UI. And it's like that not only for Squeezebox Apps but for all kinds of Apps, I still have to run into my first convincing tablet App of any kind on Android.

I mean: in the past there were simply no Android tablets but that should no longer be the case given all the Kindles, Nexis and Nooks around so is there a reason within Android why nobody does this?

Wouldn't that be an opportunity? Stefan, wouldn't that be something for you? (and sorry wt0 for spoiling the thread... How about you on a tablet App?)
            I originally thought about a tablet version especially since I already have one for the Touchpad, but the UI design I used for the Touchpad version would be difficult to duplicate on Android so I decided to hold off until later. However, I had a pretty miserable time writing the app on Android (it's a poorly thought out platform with a crappy API, but that's a discussion for elsewhere...), so I'm not sure if I want to submit myself to more pain. If Google wants people to write better tablet apps, they need to provide some compelling tablet layout structures in the API other than just side by side panels.

Besides, I'm getting a little tired of Squeezebox apps, this is the third one I've written in three years.
            --------------

Comment

• pippin
              • Oct 2007

Yea, I mean: it was as much a general statement as one about your App. As I said: I have yet to meet my first compelling Android tablet App. At all.
              ---
              at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• wt0
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kidstypike
                Installed it on my Nexus 7, cost £6.22, went to install it on my Motorola smartphone, it doesn't show up in Googleplay, is this app for tablets only?

It's now showing as £3.73 on Googleplay on my Nexus 7.
                BTW, you should be able to return it and re-buy it at the lower price.
                --------------

Comment

• pippin
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by wt0
                  How?
                  ---
                  at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• wt0
                    • Jul 2008

How?
                    I've never tried it, but with Android you're supposed to have 24 hours after the app purchase to return it for a full refund.
                    --------------

Comment

• pippin
                      • Oct 2007

Oh no. That was years ago. Now it's just 15 minutes.
                      ---
                      at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• wt0
                        • Jul 2008

Oh no. That was years ago. Now it's just 15 minutes.
                        Oh... did not know that... still pretty new to Android.
                        --------------

Comment

• kidstypike
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by wt0
                          No, don't need to return it, I like the app. I more or less got it for free anyway, with the £15.00 voucher when I bought the Nexus 7.

On my Motorola Defy+, (which runs their own version of Android - Motoblur)

Android version - 2.3.6
                          System version - 45.0.2310

Is this my problem?
                          Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                          Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                          Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                          Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• wt0
                            • Jul 2008

No, don't need to return it, I like the app. I more or less got it for free anyway, with the £15.00 voucher when I bought the Nexus 7.

Android version - 2.3.6

Is this my problem?
                            Yes, you will need at least Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
                            --------------

Comment

• wt0
                              • Jul 2008

Android version - 2.3.6

Is this my problem?
                              BTW, I guess you're the user that encountered the error with v1.0.0 that crashed the app. Sorry about that one, couldn't believe I missed it. In case you haven't gotten it yet, v1.0.1 is already published and should fix the problem.
                              --------------

Comment

Working...