Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A photo of your Squeezebox setup (please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi finkster,

I think you meant to post this in the original thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...r-audio-newbie). Perhaps if a moderator spots this he/she can move these posts there?

In general you want to keep your line-level cables (that is, RCA cables) short because they are "unbalanced", and thus susceptible to picking up low frequency hum from electrical lines or other interference. You might get away with it if you are careful running the cable, being sure not to run the component cable alongside electrical cable for any appreciable distance.

My #1 recommendation would be to get a second SB and use that for the outdoor/basement system. You can sync it to the other SB when needed, or let it play something different. Then you can locate the SB with the amp/receiver, connecting the SB to your network via wifi or ethernet (the blue cable in my basement photo is ethernet running from a network switch about a meter away). You can still find SBs on the second-hand market. The prices are often steep, but if you look patiently you'll probably find something priced reasonably.

If that doesn't work then my #2 recommendation would be to put your amp/receiver for the outdoor speakers close to your Duet Receiver's current location. Then instead of running a long line-level RCA component cable you could run long speaker wires to the outdoor speakers, going through the basement if needed. Speaker cables are not susceptible to interference the same way that line-level cable is, so interference/hum wouldn't be an issue.

Now, note that my recommendations #1 and #2 are based on absolutely zero knowledge of the layout of your home, the ease/difficulty of running cables, etc. So consider this as general guidance, and remember that the devil really is in the details.

To control the Duet Receiver in the basement I use the Duet Controller or the iPeng app on either my iPad or iPod. Network connectivity isn't an issue because I get good wifi on my deck, and the Duet Receiver in the basement is connected via ethernet cable. But wifi would work fine for Duet Receiver because it's less than 2m from my wifi router. Your connectivity may be different depending on the distances involved, construction materials, and network interference. Good luck with this -- I really enjoy having the tunes outside!
    Last edited by aubuti; 2014-06-12, 23:10.
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

Originally posted by get.amped View Post
      NADland
      Nice. With an NAD turntable no less. Did you ever see the early 5120 with the circuit board arm?

Comment

Originally posted by Apesbrain View Post
        Nice. With an NAD turntable no less. Did you ever see the early 5120 with the circuit board arm?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...images/423247/
        I have one of those in storage.
        Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
        Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Comment

Updated Compact Apartment System

Click image for larger version

Name:	system_m.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	1557817
          ...pablo
          Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
          System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
          Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
          Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Comment

My little headphone squeezething - piCorePlayer running on a Raspberry Pi, with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS Headphone amp with a pair of Sennheisers. A modest setup for early morning/late night listening when I don't want to wake up the household! I have also tried Volumio, RuneAudio and SqueezePlug on the Pi with a Wolfson DAC card, but this is the most foolproof.

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1557818
            Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
            Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
            2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
            Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
            Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
              My little headphone squeezething - piCorePlayer running on a Raspberry Pi, with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS Headphone amp with a pair of Sennheisers. A modest setup for early morning/late night listening when I don't want to wake up the household! I have also tried Volumio, RuneAudio and SqueezePlug on the Pi with a Wolfson DAC card, but this is the most foolproof.
              [ATTACH]17018[/ATTACH]
              Beautiful, absolutely beautiful and I bet the setup sounds pretty darn good to boot.
              Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
              Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
              Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
              Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
              Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
              Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
              Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
              Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
              Last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
                [ATTACH]17018[/ATTACH]
                that is very, very cool. well done.
                ...pablo
                System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
                Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub

Comment

Another headphone setup

Hi,
                  this is my newest configuration, 1x Odroid U3 with Max2Play as LMS + TEAC UD-501 USB-DAC + AKG K701 headphones:

Name:	_DSC2482.jpg
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	1557826

Name:	_DSC2478.jpg
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1557825

Name:	_DSC2466.jpg
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1557824
                  LMS 8.4 on MacbookPro 11.1 from 2014 running Ubuntu Budgie | 1x Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + moOde 7 UPnP as USB-Player + TEAC UD-501 USB-DAC + Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier + AKG K812 headphones | 4x Squeezbox Radio | 1x Raspbery Pi4 + Allo Boss 2 + Marantz PM 8000 + B&W Nautilus 805

Comment

great little system. great photography too. shot with...?
                    ...pablo

Comment

Controlled via squeeze2upnp program and smartphone app/squeezeplay
                      Attached Files
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by pablolie View Post
                        great little system. great photography too. shot with...?
                        Thanks. The pictures are shot with an old Nikon D90 and AFS Nikor 50mm f1/8. Developed with CaptureOne Pro and optimized in Photoshop CC.
                        PS.: Optimizing photos is my profession
                        LMS 8.4 on MacbookPro 11.1 from 2014 running Ubuntu Budgie | 1x Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + moOde 7 UPnP as USB-Player + TEAC UD-501 USB-DAC + Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier + AKG K812 headphones | 4x Squeezbox Radio | 1x Raspbery Pi4 + Allo Boss 2 + Marantz PM 8000 + B&W Nautilus 805

Comment

Squeezebox and Audio Pro Addon.

Replacement for my Boom (R.i.P). Audio Pro T9 and an old iPhone 4 with iPeng player. The dock is a Apple iPhone 4 Dock. It bypass the volume controll and the headphone amp. Don't think the Universal dock does that.

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1558461

Audio Pro T20.

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1558462

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1558463
                          SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
                          Spare SB3
                          AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
                          Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
                          SB Radio
                          ReadyNAS 202
                          iPeng

Comment

Originally posted by bernt View Post
                            Replacement for my Boom (R.i.P). Audio Pro T9 and an old iPhone 4 with iPeng player. The dock is a Apple iPhone 4 Dock. It bypass the volume controll and the headphone amp. Don't think the Universal dock does that.
                            nice setup. what's the center speaker?
                            --
                            4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
                            Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
                            G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
                            Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Comment

Originally posted by netchord View Post
                              nice setup. what's the center speaker?
                              It's a Philips 4.1 soundbar with detachable wireless surround speakers.
                              SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
                              Spare SB3
                              AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
                              Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
                              SB Radio
                              ReadyNAS 202
                              iPeng

Comment

I have relocated to a 80 square meter 2 room apartment with open floor plan ( kitchen and living room goes together ) and loggia hence I moved around my squeezeboxes and now it looks like this .
                                The former kitchen Touch is now in the loggia and the radio found a home in the bathroom/laundry you can see my server under the computer desk and there is squeezeplay on the PC so if I'm on my PC I don't use the boom that resides in the bedroom/study.

Welcome to my humble bachelor abode ( over aged audiophile bachelor abode... naturally )
                                Attached Files
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                                Bedroom/Office: Boom
                                Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                                Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                                iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                                (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                                server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Working...
                                X