Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Power Supply with a USB Power Out too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio Power Supply with a USB Power Out too?

I've got very fed up with trying every which way to solve the Radio / WiFi6 issue. I still love my Radios (nothing on the currect market quite does the job as well......) and frankly almost never move them about the place (a smartphone does a temporary roving radio / music job almost as well, and is smaller and lighter......). So, I think the Vonets WiFi / Lan dongle is the way to go - damn the expense!

It's a neat solution, except of course it wants USB-derived power. There's not USB power out on the Radio, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a replacement Radio power supply that has an USB built into the power brick part? I'm seeing lots of SB power supplies on the net - but not one that offers the USB too. Anyone seen one, by chance? If not, I'll use one of those convertor plugs that gives 220v out, plus a couple of USBs. Or rewire the house power sockets with a mains / usb combo! This could be never ending........
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    2 x Touch Wireless (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
    1 x SB Radio, LAN into Vonets WiFi Bridge (8.0.1-r16907)

Originally posted by agbagb View Post
    I've got very fed up with trying every which way to solve the Radio / WiFi6 issue. I still love my Radios (nothing on the currect market quite does the job as well......) and frankly almost never move them about the place (a smartphone does a temporary roving radio / music job almost as well, and is smaller and lighter......). So, I think the Vonets WiFi / Lan dongle is the way to go - damn the expense!

It's a neat solution, except of course it wants USB-derived power. There's not USB power out on the Radio, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a replacement Radio power supply that has an USB built into the power brick part? I'm seeing lots of SB power supplies on the net - but not one that offers the USB too. Anyone seen one, by chance? If not, I'll use one of those convertor plugs that gives 220v out, plus a couple of USBs. Or rewire the house power sockets with a mains / usb combo! This could be never ending........
    An alternative option would be a rechargeable power pack with USB outputs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

On a previous house move, when I was endlessly fiddling with all the SB kit, my wife remarked that it would probably cheaper, and certainly quicker, to just book the Berlin Phil to come and play Brahms live for us in the living room .......
      8.2.1 - 1639114554
      Win11

Comment

In the past I've used this Vonets dongle, plugging the DC jack from the Vonets into the SB Radio and powering the Vonets from the SB Radio PSU. At some point the Vonets broke down though. It might have been because the SB Radio PSU is 18V and the maximum voltage the Vonage could use was 15V... Or for another reason unrelated to that.

Comment

Originally posted by jj_0 View Post
          In the past I've used this Vonets dongle, plugging the DC jack from the Vonets into the SB Radio and powering the Vonets from the SB Radio PSU. At some point the Vonets broke down though. It might have been because the SB Radio PSU is 18V and the maximum voltage the Vonage could use was 15V... Or for another reason unrelated to that.

How was the Radio powered? Just via its battery?
          8.2.1 - 1639114554
          Win11

Comment

How was the Radio powered? Just via its battery?
            The SB power supply plugs into the Vonets. The Vonets has a barrel connector that plugs into the SB radio. (The pictures from the web seem to show a barrel to Ethernet adapter.) Thus the 18 volt power supply drives both devices. It should be noted that the Voents is rated to 15 volts, so the 18 volts from the power supply is higher than the specification. It appears many people have no problem, but some do. I tried the vonets, but I could not get the settings to work for me. Probably user error on my part as the instructions are sparse.

There are two versions, and there is some discussion on which is the preferred version. Hopefully, those that use them will post something.

Paul

Comment

Just an update - I completely missed that the Vonets VAP11G-300 dongle has a power pass-through until I physically held the thing in my hand. I know that, technically, there is a voltage issue (the Radio power block shoves 18v into the Vonets (which only wants 15v ...) and then the Vonets passes the 18v through to the Radio. Neat - and the user experience here in the community seems to be that the Vonets will easily handle the 18v - I do believe that one user got a detailed spec from Vonets that showed it was happy with a much wider range of input voltages than advertised.

All that said, all of a sudden my Radio (I have several, but am just using my red one....) is working fine on WiFi. No real idea why - I did disable WiFi6 in the new router, with no initial success. But now it's worked for a week fine. The Vonets will undoubtedly come in useful for something, in due course.
              8.2.1 - 1639114554
              Win11

Comment

All that said, all of a sudden my Radio (I have several, but am just using my red one....) is working fine on WiFi. No real idea why - I did disable WiFi6 in the new router, with no initial success. But now it's worked for a week fine. The Vonets will undoubtedly come in useful for something, in due course.
                Sometimes my SB radios work for days without a problem. Then other days it would shut down several times a day. It drove me nuts, and I have concluded it is the Wifi6 interference problem. The wlanpoke also helps.

My theory (without any proof) as to why the SB radio will work somedays but not others is perhaps due to beamforming technology. For example, a neighbor takes his or her phone into the front yard and now neighbor's wifi signal becomes stronger in the direction of my house. When that occurs, the signal is now strong enough to cause the interference and the SB disconnects from my router. Just a guess.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X