Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Knobs - 3D printed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Radio Knobs - 3D printed

    Just strolling around in ebay (US), I came across this (from Germany):



    In case anyone is interested. I usually sand mine down and repaint them, but the flat face is an interesting look, and allot less work

    The listing says one set left, but perhaps there are more

    Jim

    #2
    Originally posted by Redrum View Post
    Just strolling around in ebay (US), I came across this (from Germany):



    In case anyone is interested. I usually sand mine down and repaint them, but the flat face is an interesting look, and allot less work

    The listing says one set left, but perhaps there are more

    Jim
    I bought a set of them a year back, they are fine.

    Then I realised that the old sticky coating on the original knobs can easily be removed with methylated spirits (de-matured alcohol for US listeners), so I cleaned up the originals and re fitted.

    The 3D printed ones are a useful backup though.
    Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by staresy View Post
      I bought a set of them a year back, they are fine.

      Then I realized that the old sticky coating on the original knobs can easily be removed with methylated spirits (de-matured alcohol for US listeners), so I cleaned up the originals and re fitted.

      The 3D printed ones are a useful backup though.
      denatured/isopropyl alcohol has been mentioned several times, but I have never had allot of luck with it. That is, maybe it works eventually, but it took allot of rubbing and reapplication.

      I usually end up sanding them, then repainting with a matte black. Easy (for knobs), and looks good, but I just bought a sticky (all over) boom, and would like to clean it up without having to repaint.

      Do you have any tips? I do realize there is another thread on it, but like I said my experience with the alcohol was not that great. Maybe it's user error.

      Jim

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Redrum View Post
        denatured/isopropyl alcohol has been mentioned several times, but I have never had allot of luck with it. That is, maybe it works eventually, but it took allot of rubbing and reapplication.

        I usually end up sanding them, then repainting with a matte black. Easy (for knobs), and looks good, but I just bought a sticky (all over) boom, and would like to clean it up without having to repaint.

        Do you have any tips? I do realize there is another thread on it, but like I said my experience with the alcohol was not that great. Maybe it's user error.

        Jim
        Clean the front plate with soap and hot water (70C) for 5 mins. Let it dry and then spray plasti-dip transparent rubber coat. I’ve made that on many booms (and other sticky devices)? They come back new with no effort. And what’s greys with plasti-dip is that if you miss, just peel it off and do it again.
        LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Redrum View Post
          denatured/isopropyl alcohol has been mentioned several times, but I have never had allot of luck with it. That is, maybe it works eventually, but it took allot of rubbing and reapplication.

          I usually end up sanding them, then repainting with a matte black. Easy (for knobs), and looks good, but I just bought a sticky (all over) boom, and would like to clean it up without having to repaint.

          Do you have any tips? I do realize there is another thread on it, but like I said my experience with the alcohol was not that great. Maybe it's user error.

          Jim
          From memory it was pretty straightforward and didn't require too much effort to remove the old sticky coating, no real trick involved.

          All I can say is I definitely used Methylated Spirits (the purple stuff) and not Isopropyl Alcohol. I'm not sure if that's the key, I think methylated spirit is methanol based and IPA is ethanol based, but I may be wrong, I'm no chemist, or perhaps the formulation is stronger here in the UK?

          The purple dye, plus other additives are put in to deter people from drinking it, mmm, lovely. Not recommended.
          Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks Starsey, I'll look for the right alcohol and give that a shot.

            Thanks Philippe, so it sounds like you are not really removing the sticky "rubber" coating, you are just applying a new "rubber" coating that isn't sticky? If so, great idea...

            Jim

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Redrum View Post
              I''ll look for the right alcohol and give that a shot.
              Not a phrase you'd expect to read on these forums
              Location 1: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x3 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.3 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by staresy View Post
                Not a phrase you'd expect to read on these forums
                with a chaser?

                Comment

                Working...
                X