Radio auto brightness oscillation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio auto brightness oscillation

I have never noticed this before. I have a radio at my cabin which is very remote. There is literally zero light pollution, only the moon. Sometime I am awake before dawn (old age) and as dawn starts, the radio auto brightness starts to oscillate. It gets very light (enough to make a "glow" in the room), then back to nighttime levels (enough to see but no glow). This repeats for quite a while, from every say 10 seconds, to every minute or so. I assume that this behavior stops after sunrise, because during the day it's fine.

My radio in my bedroom at home (suburb light pollution levels) doesn't do this.

Both radios have batteries if it matters.

I found a post that describes this in the archives from 2007, and it was posted that a mod was being made to auto brightness, not sure if anything was changed. See Model Citizen's posts: https://forums.slimdevices.com/archi...p/t-70618.html

My brightness settings are on auto, and minimal auto is, say about 30-40%. I imagine this is default as I don't change them typically. I'd prefer to not go manual brightness, but don't like the pulsating glow when I am awake early

Guess I am not expecting a fix, maybe just if someone else has seen this.

Jim

Originally posted by Redrum View Post
    I have never noticed this before. I have a radio at my cabin which is very remote. There is literally zero light pollution, only the moon. Sometime I am awake before dawn (old age) and as dawn starts, the radio auto brightness starts to oscillate. It gets very light (enough to make a "glow" in the room), then back to nighttime levels (enough to see but no glow). This repeats for quite a while, from every say 10 seconds, to every minute or so. I assume that this behavior stops after sunrise, because during the day it's fine.

My radio in my bedroom at home (suburb light pollution levels) doesn't do this.

Both radios have batteries if it matters.

I found a post that describes this in the archives from 2007, and it was posted that a mod was being made to auto brightness, not sure if anything was changed. See Model Citizen's posts: https://forums.slimdevices.com/archi...p/t-70618.html

My brightness settings are on auto, and minimal auto is, say about 30-40%. I imagine this is default as I don't change them typically. I'd prefer to not go manual brightness, but don't like the pulsating glow when I am awake early

Guess I am not expecting a fix, maybe just if someone else has seen this.

Jim
    Can't say I've noticed that on the Radio but I use the patch from this post

which IMHO should be the default for brightness settings. Give it a try.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
      Can't say I've noticed that on the Radio but I use the patch from this post

which IMHO should be the default for brightness settings. Give it a try.

Thanks! I have the patch installed. I am unsure of how it affects the "auto" aspect, but we will see. Maybe tomorrow morning.

In thinking about it, it behaves as if there is no hysteresis in the algorithm. It seems like when it's pitch black its at the minimum, then with the slightest hint of ambient light, it goes full maximum for a second, then back, repeat repeat.

Moon is 6%, new moon tomorrow, maybe that's why. For anyone reading that might think I am crazy talking about the moon, you could be right!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Redrum View Post
        Thanks! I have the patch installed. I am unsure of how it affects the "auto" aspect, but we will see. Maybe tomorrow morning.

In thinking about it, it behaves as if there is no hysteresis in the algorithm. It seems like when it's pitch black its at the minimum, then with the slightest hint of ambient light, it goes full maximum for a second, then back, repeat repeat.

Moon is 6%, new moon tomorrow, maybe that's why. For anyone reading that might think I am crazy talking about the moon, you could be right!

Jim
        With the patch you can choose different max and min brightness levels when the Radio is idle. I have both those levels set much lower than the levels when the Radio is playing.

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
        Bedroom: Radio
        Bathroom: Radio

Comment

right, but I think the only thing that might do to my situation is lessen the swing. Maybe that will do.

I'll see if I can grab a video, just for grins...

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X