Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorites Problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Favorites Problem

    Hi:
    I use my Squeezebox to listen to National Public Radio (NPR) on both station WNIJ and WILL. But a few days ago, my radio would not connect to either station. There was a message: "Connection Reset By Remote Host"

    I tried using the search feature on the Squeezebox, entering WNIJ first and the WILL. This resulted in the same message. I then sent an Email to WNIJ asking what has changed. They responded with another link: https://peace.streamguys1.com:6815/live-96k.mp3 Next I went to my Favorites list on my home computer at "Mysqueezebox.com" However, when I try to add this link, nothing at all happens. No grief message. Nothing blinks. In the past, when I tried to add a link that is not compatible with the Squeezebox technology, there would be a message warning that the link may not play on my device. But I was able to add it to my favorites, even if it was not playable, and I would just delete it after testing for a connection.

    But now, nothing. It seems like my favorites page on "mysqueezebox.com" is inactive. Is there some sort of reset or update I need? Please try the link on your device to test it for me. By the way, I can connect and listen to WNIJ via my home computer through the WNIJ website. I am very confused at this point.

    Thank You,
    Ron Reeland

    #2
    Originally posted by Ron Reeland View Post
    Hi:
    I use my Squeezebox to listen to National Public Radio (NPR) on both station WNIJ and WILL. But a few days ago, my radio would not connect to either station. There was a message: "Connection Reset By Remote Host"

    I tried using the search feature on the Squeezebox, entering WNIJ first and the WILL. This resulted in the same message. I then sent an Email to WNIJ asking what has changed. They responded with another link: https://peace.streamguys1.com:6815/live-96k.mp3 Next I went to my Favorites list on my home computer at "Mysqueezebox.com" However, when I try to add this link, nothing at all happens. No grief message. Nothing blinks. In the past, when I tried to add a link that is not compatible with the Squeezebox technology, there would be a message warning that the link may not play on my device. But I was able to add it to my favorites, even if it was not playable, and I would just delete it after testing for a connection.

    But now, nothing. It seems like my favorites page on "mysqueezebox.com" is inactive. Is there some sort of reset or update I need? Please try the link on your device to test it for me. By the way, I can connect and listen to WNIJ via my home computer through the WNIJ website. I am very confused at this point.

    Thank You,
    Ron Reeland
    Your URL is playing fine using LMS (Logitech Media Server).

    I don't think mysqueezebox.com can play URLs starting with https, not sure, I don't use mysqueezebox.com. Others may confirm.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	WNIJ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1572992
    Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

    Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

    Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

    Comment


      #3
      I went here



      Links under
      Direct MP3 Stream Links, seem to be https

      Links under
      Download MP3 Streams Link
      seem to work on MySqueezebox.com

      I played this one




      ronnie

      Comment


        #4
        Thank You, Ronnie.
        I added the link you furnished to my squeezebox favorites. Now I can enjoy WNIJ again. But when I visited the other link to Northern Public Radio, I could not come up with the link you gave me. I clicked on this: "Download MP3 Streams Link" A little window pops up indicating I should open the download, but I cannot get any further to access or find the link you gave me. I really do not know what I am doing. Can you explain step by step so maybe i can learn something.

        Next, I tried to listen to WGN Radio out of Chicago on my squeezebox. It is in my favorites and worked fine a week ago. Today, no dice. So I used the search function on my squeezebox by entering simply WGN. That does not work either.

        In the past, I managed to add stations or streams to my favorites by using this search function. It will not work on WNIJ as I previously mentioned. Very frustrating. It seems the stations are changing to different streaming formats making my current links unplayable. I also listen to WBBM all news radio out of Chicago. That station revised to an app called AUDACY. I was able to add that app to my squeezebox and then access WBBM thru it.

        And I am clueless about "Logitech Media Server" I will Google it and such to see if I can learn something about it and what it can do for my problems. Please bear with me. I have 5 Squeezebox radios around home and work, so I can listen at different points in my home. I really treasure them and internet radio in general. No broadcast reception problems, but more technology involved, to be sure.

        Thanks for the replies:
        Ron Reeland

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Ron Reeland View Post
          It seems the stations are changing to different streaming formats making my current links unplayable....

          And I am clueless about "Logitech Media Server" ...
          For years there have been two ways to use squeezebox devices -

          1) "out of the box" - direct to a "web server" mysqueezebox.com, where you get an account, add favorites, use services like Pandora, etc. In this configuration you don't need a "server" running on a piece of hardware (e.g. PC, Mac, etc). But, with this method, you can't play music from your "library" (ripped and downloaded CD's). But it's a perfectly good (up until now) "internet radio" player.

          2) The other method is to install Logitech Media Server, free, on a piece of hardware in your home. Alot more functionality, even back in the earlier days, much much much more so now.

          Its my understanding that when the squeezebox line was dropped, so was further development of mysqueezebox.com, but to their credit, Logitech (and Michael) keep it up and running for legacy purposes. Meanwhile, LMS has flourished in stability and functionality thanks to the develpers here and this community. So, mysb.com will never be fixed to solve issues that come up.

          It seems the radio stations are starting to switch to the "secure" https from http. Mysqueezebox.com will not play https (although some may "play" because the stream is redirected to a http).

          The frustration that you are experiencing is the same as a friend (250 miles away) I had setup using just mysqueezebox.com, complaining to me his stations were dying. I sent him a raspberry pi running picoreplayer (under $50USD) to stop the complaints .

          So, it you have a pc, mac, NAS, etc for now, just download LMS (I think you can get it from mysb.com - ??) and give it a try. Go to the "Logitech Media Server" category in this forum for help.

          Jim

          Comment


            #6
            This is the link for WNIU




            WNIJ and WBBM are geo bocked, so no luck there

            ronnie

            Comment


              #7
              I use opml and radiotime and tunein

              A lot of times, just drop that s from the http and it loads and plays fine.

              There are Favorites in my list that don't always play, as Reset by Host or have a limited count allowed for connections. I keep them on preset buttons, and just keep poking it.

              To avoid restrictive streaming hosts, I use Tunein to find the full path there; you can load this into the Favorites list, like this:



              Radiotime opml transfers to Tunein with the partner ID from Logitech and if you have a Tunein account, set your username instead of the x's. Normally I wouldn't use these two pieces of info but I want them to see that our traffic still is active from the SB universe.

              Example:

              Comment


                #8
                Ron,
                In your comment from last year, you mentioned you were able to add the AUDACY app to your squeezebox. Where did you find it? I've been searching and I haven't found their app for LMS or squeezebox.
                Thanks!
                -dale

                Originally posted by Ron Reeland View Post
                Thank You, Ronnie.
                I added the link you furnished
                ...
                an app called AUDACY. I was able to add that app to my squeezebox and then access WBBM thru it.
                ...

                Thanks for the replies:
                Ron Reeland

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by sologuy View Post
                  Ron,
                  In your comment from last year, you mentioned you were able to add the AUDACY app to your squeezebox. Where did you find it? I've been searching and I haven't found their app for LMS or squeezebox.
                  Thanks!
                  -dale
                  Maybe I can help, Audacy (the steaming service) used to be Radio.com. Michael developed the Radio.com app (available at mysqueezebox.com). Available in the US only. I use it to stream WGR (buffalo NY). https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post921715

                  Even though there are advertisements on the stream that it will soon "only be available on the audacy app" my stream is still alive. If my memory is correct, I have been hearing these threatening message every since Radio.com became Audacy.

                  Jim

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hi Jim,

                    Thank you for your reply. I do have the radio.com app installed and am using it to listen to KCBS.

                    It seems like the threat has recently changed from "stuff you can only get using the Audacy app" to "you'll only be able to get this station using the Audacy app". That's what caused my ears to prick up and pay attention.

                    I reached out to Audacy for help and got this <snark>very useful</snark> reply from them...

                    Thank you for contacting Audacy support.
                    I understand that you need to know the availability of Audacy on some devices like LMS, Squeezebox or Slimserver.
                    Please click on this link to see the devices that support Audacy.
                    You may also reach out to Logitech support as they'll be able to assist you further with the issue. We request you to tap on the link below to share your concern,
                    - https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/re...1-b9f39f519d69
                    We appreciate your efforts and understanding.


                    Their link to see devices showed Roku, iOS devices, desktop, Android and so on. But of course no mention of LMS or the various Squeeze players.
                    The link to Logitech was for the Contact Support page, which doesn't allow entering a ticket, but only allows Community search, phone, or Chat. I tried chat, but that timed out and ending up asking me for email address to reply back to. The reply back was a copy of my chat with their bot and an offer to respond to the email. I'll try that, if only to ensure I've closed all attempt loops. But I don't expect any help from Logitech this many years later. :-)

                    Still hoping that Ron Reeland might see my inquiry and tell me more about where he found an Audacy plugin(?) for Squeeze.

                    Originally posted by Redrum View Post
                    Maybe I can help, Audacy (the steaming service) used to be Radio.com. Michael developed the Radio.com app (available at mysqueezebox.com). Available in the US only. I use it to stream WGR (buffalo NY). https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post921715

                    Even though there are advertisements on the stream that it will soon "only be available on the audacy app" my stream is still alive. If my memory is correct, I have been hearing these threatening message every since Radio.com became Audacy.

                    Jim

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by sologuy View Post

                      It seems like the threat has recently changed from "stuff you can only get using the Audacy app" to "you'll only be able to get this station using the Audacy app". That's what caused my ears to prick up and pay attention.


                      Their link to see devices showed Roku, iOS devices, desktop, Android and so on. But of course no mention of LMS or the various Squeeze players.

                      Still hoping that Ron Reeland might see my inquiry and tell me more about where he found an Audacy plugin(?) for Squeeze.
                      I agree that the recent messages are more threatening, my dim memories seem to be the same as yours, that previously, it was just an app promotion. But I also think I remember when my station (WGR550) went into the radio.com family, there was a similar message, and indeed the old streams stopped working. There were workarounds (see my linked thread), but Michael eventually developed the Radio.com plugin. Maybe the threat will not affect our plugin, or maybe if it does, Michael can address it (with our begging of course ).

                      I would be surprised if squeezebox would be linked by any service, as the product is no longer produced, yet this community keeps it alive (and thriving). We don't have much clout

                      Jim

                      <edit - a related thread from a few days ago - https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...96#post1063196 >

                      <edit #2 - I think the "audacy only" message might be old and irrelevant. As you know there are alot of garbage fill in commercials (e.g. I hear the same one up to 3x on one break). I did a bit of internet search and it seems audacy did a big update to their app 07/2022. I'm guessing (only guessing) that these messaged were being broadcast before then, referring to this update on 07/2022, and are just filler now. Since our stations still work on radio.com app, I'm guessing it will continue, only time will tell>
                      Last edited by Redrum; 2022-10-19, 15:45. Reason: add thread

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X