Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeezebox Radio connects and the freezes after about 1 minute

Hello:

I've had 5 squeezebox radios working fine for many years. I started getting strange disconnections, so I upgraded my wifi a few weeks back, then this Monday 2 of the 5 Radios started Freezing after a few minutes of connections. They would start up fine and connect to my LMS and even play then after about a minute they just freeze. I've reset to default and removed them from the server.pref file and from the my.squeezebox.com. so that when I restart them they are clean. but the same thing still happens. If it was just one device, I would write it off to hardware failure due to age, but 2 on the same day, while 3 identical radios work fine.

Any thoughts. Is just rotten luck that 2 radios had the same hardware failure on the same day? is there a way to reflash the firmware?

Thanks

John

New WiFi6 device in the area?
    Do they fail if you move them to a different location - eg next to one that is not showing the symptoms?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Hi Paul:

The 2 failed radios fail no matter where they are, and I have replaced one of the failed ones with one of the working radios.

Failure is consistent to the individual radios themselves.

thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by Whenever View Post
        The 2 failed radios fail no matter where they are, and I have replaced one of the failed ones with one of the working radios.

Failure is consistent to the individual radios themselves.
        There was a recent thread where a user had a radio in the bathroom and it always failed. I think they switched Radio and still it failed in bathroom - I think conclusion was wifi related issue.

As a test, do these radios fail when wired ?

PSUs fail in strange ways - have you considered swapping PSUs with a working Radio ?

Comment

Hi BPA:

Both failed radios, fail in multiple places and places where a good radio works fine. Plugging them into ethernet is a good idea and I tried that and they do work fine when hardwired. This is a possible workaround, although I will be trying to acquire backup Squeezebox Radios as I certainly have not found anything close to these and the trend seems to be moving to the various Alexa type services which I have no interest in, I really like having radios I can walk up to push a preset button and adjust the volume with a knob.

Thank you for your suggestions

John

Comment

Originally posted by bpa View Post

PSUs fail in strange ways - have you considered swapping PSUs with a working Radio ?
            +1 - try swapping PSU, I have seen this, and a cheap fix.

Also, do any/or have batteries? If so, does it happen on battery power?

Jim

Comment

Both failed radios, fail in multiple places and places where a good radio works fine. Plugging them into ethernet is a good idea and I tried that and they do work fine when hardwired. This is a possible workaround, although I will be trying to acquire backup Squeezebox Radios as I certainly have not found anything close to these and the trend seems to be moving to the various Alexa type services which I have no interest in, I really like having radios I can walk up to push a preset button and adjust the volume with a knob.
              The Radio is a good device, together with LMS better than modern internet Radio.
              So Problem is wifi - PSU can still be the culprit.

I suspect some components are getting a bit old and out of spec. If wifi card is failing/become sensitive, on another thread - users have found a small wifi/ethernet adaptor that can be plugged in line in Radio PSU and into Radio Ethernet socket.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa View Post
                on another thread - users have found a small wifi/ethernet adaptor that can be plugged in line in Radio PSU and into Radio Ethernet socket.
                Vonets dongle - detailed in this post - which is generally about Radio wifi failing/unstable

Comment

Just a quick update:

A third device failed on WIFI, so I reassessed the cause and went back to my old wifi router. All devices still work fine on it, so I think it has something to do with the new router which is an ASUS RT-AX86U which is the latest generation and has WIFI-6 as well as Asus' air mesh. I think some of the "advanced features" are not quite as backward compatible as you would like and I'm not about to fiddle with wifi settings that I don't understand, despite my tendency to see every switch, button and setting as something to play with. Anyways, since my old router is also the ISP's router so still in place, I will keep its Wifi turned on and have my LMS plugged into both networks.

Thanks

John

Comment

A third device failed on WIFI, so I reassessed the cause and went back to my old wifi router. All devices still work fine on it, so I think it has something to do with the new router which is an ASUS RT-AX86U which is the latest generation and has WIFI-6 as well as Asus' air mesh. I think some of the "advanced features" are not quite as backward compatible as you would like and I'm not about to fiddle with wifi settings that I don't understand, despite my tendency to see every switch, button and setting as something to play with. Anyways, since my old router is also the ISP's router so still in place, I will keep its Wifi turned on and have my LMS plugged into both networks.
                    For Asus mesh Wifi 6 router causing problems on Tohch & Radio - check out this thread. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...e-Radios/page2

Comment

SQBox Radio interference fixed for me.. metal tape

For several months I had been getting constant disconnection with my three "Radio", previously hadn't been a problem... I read a lot of stuff here, aimed at a wifi network from outside my house being able to cause my "Radio" to drop my wifi network and end up with the red wifi symbol on the screen and no more connection to my network...
                      My problem was only on "RADIO"s, no problem with "BOOM"s..

Many tried replacing their in-house wifi system for something "better" to over-power the interfering network. What I did was stick some metal tape around the top right-hand side of the "Radio", which is where the wifi antenna lives on the "Radio", to try to REDUCE the power of all signals including the interferring one and obviously mine too. But mine being closer to the "Radio" should be the winner after the "attenuation"..

It worked straight away and the "RADIO"s have been un-disconnecting for several weeks now. The wifi network that I assume was the problem, shows as signal strength 2 and my own as 3.
                      The tape can be fitted inside the case if you are so inclined, but obviously make sure it doesn't touch any circuitry when the case is closed back up.

Thanks to all you guys for the wealth of knowledge this forum brings us all..
                      cheers CDClick image for larger version

Name:	SQbox radio metal tape.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1575377
                      LMS on win10 pro - 3x radio, 2x Boom, Receiver into Yamaha 3030 AVR, Duet controller, iPeng IOS Remote & Player.

Comment

Originally posted by doobre View Post
                        For several months I had been getting constant disconnection with my three "Radio", previously hadn't been a problem... I read a lot of stuff here, aimed at a wifi network from outside my house being able to cause my "Radio" to drop my wifi network and end up with the red wifi symbol on the screen and no more connection to my network...
                        My problem was only on "RADIO"s, no problem with "BOOM"s..

Many tried replacing their in-house wifi system for something "better" to over-power the interfering network. What I did was stick some metal tape around the top right-hand side of the "Radio", which is where the wifi antenna lives on the "Radio", to try to REDUCE the power of all signals including the interferring one and obviously mine too. But mine being closer to the "Radio" should be the winner after the "attenuation"..

It worked straight away and the "RADIO"s have been un-disconnecting for several weeks now. The wifi network that I assume was the problem, shows as signal strength 2 and my own as 3.
                        The tape can be fitted inside the case if you are so inclined, but obviously make sure it doesn't touch any circuitry when the case is closed back up.

Thanks to all you guys for the wealth of knowledge this forum brings us all..
                        cheers CD[ATTACH]38288[/ATTACH]
                        I have to say I was quite skeptical about this fix. But I stand corrected and thank you for posting your fix instructions and pic! It absolutely works for me!

I had seen this fix mentioned many months ago (likely by you?) and shrugged it off as a nutty idea. Last week a contractor was at my house and he had a roll of metal tape in his truck. I asked him for a 1 foot piece and temporarily taped it on with just blue painters tape (assuming it was not going to work) as per your pic. Radio has been streaming 24/7 for 3 days. I'll soon permanently mount this tape inside the cover.

Thanks again for breathing life back into my SB Radio and not having to hack in to fix it which I am certain I would have messed up!

Comment

Well that didn't last long. Started the disconnects again. Oh well, my first SB device to be thrown in the trash. Sad. Long live my SB3. Boom, Touch.

Comment

Originally posted by toby10 View Post
                            Well that didn't last long. Started the disconnects again. Oh well, my first SB device to be thrown in the trash. Sad. Long live my SB3. Boom, Touch.
                            Have you tried wlanpoke ? It has good diagnostics as well as active measures to keep radio connected.

I am sceptical of the metal tape in one narrow place can stop enough wifi signals from a specific source.
                            On a separate bug, when testing I tried to reduce wifi reception to create rebuffering - I ended up with the radio in a aluminum pot with a lid in a microwave. Pot lid had a gap just for power cable and door of microwave was ajar for the cable as well. Still the radio played.
                            Modern routers just up the power (and some MIMO) to get the signal through. I think your interfering source did the same - it "learnt" about the tape and upped/focussed the power.

Comment

Originally posted by toby10 View Post
                              Oh well, my first SB device to be thrown in the trash.
                              Also ... don't trash it.
                              Someone here will happily take it off your hands.
                              Paul Webster
                              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Working...
                              X