Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi 6

Hi there!

I have recently bought myself a new Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router (Asus RT-AX58U), and running it in Access Point mode.

I have found that the 3 SB Radios I have connected with wifi looses their connection after a few minutes.
    A reboot alway brings them back online, again only for a few minutes.

Have also tried another Asus (RT-AX88U), same problem.

Now these Asus routers are set up as a mesh system, but this made no difference.

I found that disabling Wi-Fi 6 in the wireless settings of the routers solves the problem,
    regardless of running them seperatly in stand alone mode or togheter as a mesh system.

Also discovered that disabling Wi-Fi 6 is not permanent if the router is running in "Smart connect" mode.
    A reboot / power loss will make Wi-Fi 6 enabled again.

If you turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 it is permanent.

Anyone else experienced the same with Asus?

Tore BB

If it is any consolation, I have the same issue.

Various squeezeboxes
    2 asus wifi6 boxes, in access point mode / mesh with ethernet link.

I cannot switch on wifi 6, else the squeezeboxes lose connection

I had the same issue with a laptop, that needed an intel firmware upgrade. Perhaps the same is true for the wifi chips in these devices, although I wouldn't know how to achieve this.

Please do update with any new information you have!

James

Comment

The SqueezeBox Radio is a 802.11g device (2.4GHz with theoretical transfer rates up to 54Mbps).

802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) unlike 802.11ac also makes changes to the modulation in the 2.4GHz band (offering OFDMA and a bunch of other under the hood changes).

My guess (and it is just that) is considering the relative newness of 802.11ax something in the firmware or config is upsetting your older 802.11g devices like the radio.

If it is just modulation or legacy suppression that is an issue you may find creating a dedicated 2.4GHz WPA2 802.11g/n SSID for the radios and older devices might be a good option. It may have a tiny impact on performance of 2.4GHz ax devices but I don't really think it will be an issue in any real sense.

It may also be something as simple as the vendors default Wi-Fi 6 settings simply turning off legacy g support assuming (incorrectly) that most 2.4GHz devices support n. Does the firmware have some sort of advanced menu to set that?

I guess my preference would be a separate SSID as a 1st test, but then my media devices are on a vlan'ed network so my setup is far from typical .

Comment

From the Asus FAQ ... if interop is a problem then ..
        Code:
        Go to [Wireless] > [General] page. Turn off [Enable Smart Connect] and select the [Band] for your network devices.

Disable [802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode]

Disable [Wi-Fi Agile Multiband]

Disable [Target Wake Time]

Disable [Protected Management Frames]
        Presumably you could try them individually to see which ones (or combination) makes it work (if any) and report back to help others who will face the same dilemma in the future.
        Last edited by Paul Webster; 2020-06-13, 11:59.
        Paul Webster
        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

i've had a similar issue with the Touch and an eero mesh network. Touch sees the network, signal strength is high, but can't connect. occasionally, rebooting (unplugging) the Touch fixes the issue.
          --
          4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
          Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
          G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
          Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Comment

I'm seeing the same problem with an ASUS AX3000, also running in Access Point mode.

Originally posted by ToreBB View Post
            Hi there!

I have recently bought myself a new Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router (Asus RT-AX58U), and running it in Access Point mode.

I have found that the 3 SB Radios I have connected with wifi looses their connection after a few minutes.
            A reboot alway brings them back online, again only for a few minutes.

I found that disabling Wi-Fi 6 in the wireless settings of the routers solves the problem,
            regardless of running them seperatly in stand alone mode or togheter as a mesh system.

Anyone else experienced the same with Asus?

Tore BB

Comment

See my earlier post with suggestions from Asus.
              Paul Webster
              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Disabling wifi6 does work, but it misses the point a bit, because wifi6 is the point.

Comment

Originally posted by time4tea View Post
                  Disabling wifi6 does work, but it misses the point a bit, because wifi6 is the point.
                  Does it make much difference? How many WiFi 6 devices do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                  Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by time4tea View Post
                    There were 3 other suggestions from Asus in that post. I presume that they do not require WiFi 6 to be disabled to try them - but perhaps they do (I do not have a WiFi 6 access point).
                    Paul Webster

Comment

I’d just use a separate older Access Point with separate SSID purely for the SBs
                      Jim
                      https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                      Dining Room SB Radio
                      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                      Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Is it known yet if this is an "Squeezebox / ASUS" problem, or a "Squeezebox Radio / Wi-Fi 6" problem?

My network involves 4 access points, one of which I just replaced with an ASUS AX3000 -- and that's when the connection problem started. The ASUS AX3000 is the only access point that supports Wi-Fi 6.

It's interesting that my SqueezeBox Radio connects a different access point (not the ASUS AX3000). I.e., just adding the ASUS AX3000 to the network provokes the connection problem between the radio and a different access point (the radio shows a strong signal, but all bars are red, not white).

The connection problem does not occur when Wi-Fi 6 is turned off.

Comment

I have been using Asus AC88 and nowdays AX88 for a rather long time, and the way I kind of solved all this: My 2.4GHz Wifi is setup separatly to only support old stuff that don't like new modern solutions. For the moment this is just 4 devices: SB Radio, Google Nexus 7 (2013) and two Samsung TAB 10.5S (Android tablets). My 5GHz radio has all things turned on, incl Wifi6. But not so the 2.4 which uses the "Legacy" setting on supported devices (that limits N to 54Mbit/s, and B and G support - that's about it), also fixed channel (4 in my case).
                          Best Regards
                          Bamsefar

Comment

Wi-Fi 6 problem avoided by NOT using an ASUS AX3000

The problem (quoted below) does NOT occur when using either of these two routers (instead of an ASUS AX3000):

TP-Link Archer AX50
                            Netgear AX1800 RAX15

In both cases, Wi-Fi 6 is enabled and works well. And no problem with the Squeezebox Boom.

Unknown if ASUS has fixed the AX3000 (I reported the problem to them.)

P.S. As the TP-Link Archer ran warmer than I preferred, I returned it in favor of the Netgear AX1800 RAX15, which runs much cooler.

Originally posted by squmhe View Post
                            Is it known yet if this is an "Squeezebox / ASUS" problem, or a "Squeezebox Radio / Wi-Fi 6" problem?

My network involves 4 access points, one of which I just replaced with an ASUS AX3000 -- and that's when the connection problem started. The ASUS AX3000 is the only access point that supports Wi-Fi 6.

It's interesting that my SqueezeBox Radio connects a different access point (not the ASUS AX3000). I.e., just adding the ASUS AX3000 to the network provokes the connection problem between the radio and a different access point (the radio shows a strong signal, but all bars are red, not white).

The connection problem does not occur when Wi-Fi 6 is turned off.

Comment

I had an ASUS XT8 for about 3 months. Spent two months almost daily with ASUS Tech Support trying to get it to work. It would just dump all the Squeezeboxes offline for no apparent reason. No amount of crying, cussing, screaming, ranting, offerings to the gods did any good. I finally returned it. Had to pay a restocking fee, but I just couldn't waste any more time on it.

Waiting for the Ubiquiti Unify line to get the Wifi 6 stuff out of Beta and I'll try again.

Comment

Working...
                              X