Wi-Fi 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rajdude View Post
    My take is our beloved devices are now super old devices and have compatibility issues with newer routers.

You could try disabling WiFi6 (if you do not need it, e.g. if you really do not have any WiFi6 capable client).....that may resolve the problem......like it did for my XT8 pair. Unfortunately, for me, the whole point of upgrading my router was to get WiFi 6. I do have two gamer dudes in the house, who have very capable PCs

Another thing is you could try is if by mistake or otherwise, you have WPA3/WPA2 enabled (instead of just WPA2).

Another thing....separate the bands..........although that did not help me.

YMMV........good luck!

If nothing works, and you HAVE to keep the new routers............just setup a wifi network for just these two SB radios........using the old router.....daisy chained after the new router..............that was my backup plan.
    I tried this approach...
    New wifi6 mesh causes my wifi connected radios to lose connection after a few minutes.
    I added my older access point to create separate wifi network, 2.4g only, with unique ssid, channel. I still have same problem... radio will connect to the new network, but will drop after a few minutes.
    I suspect something about the wifi6 network is causing interference on the sperate net (even though they appear on non-competing channels).
    For now I've wired my key radio, but others are currently useless.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah I had a similar experience.
      The mesh surely was causing the problem....but IMHO WiFi6 is NOT the problem, mesh is.

I switched to a standalone WiFi 6 router (Asus RT-AX3000)........worked find right out of the box!......"with" WiFi6 enabled and actively used in my house!

Originally posted by tcutting View Post
      I tried this approach...
      New wifi6 mesh causes my wifi connected radios to lose connection after a few minutes.
      I added my older access point to create separate wifi network, 2.4g only, with unique ssid, channel. I still have same problem... radio will connect to the new network, but will drop after a few minutes.
      I suspect something about the wifi6 network is causing interference on the sperate net (even though they appear on non-competing channels).
      For now I've wired my key radio, but others are currently useless.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as I know wifi6 combines frequencies from 1 to 6GHz. I don't think that a SB can work with that. They only operate at 2.4GHz.
        I'm using ubiquiti unifi stuff and created a single SSID at 2.4 just for the oldies because when I activated fast roaming to get voip working they were unable to connect.
        SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
        Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
        Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

AFAIK......... WiFi6 is a protocol....it can work on on 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz bands. My router has option to turn Wifi 6 on/off on those two bands individually. But that did not make any difference in my XT8 mesh system. When I deleted the mesh the SB radios able to connect to the XT8 a little more reliably. They did connect even with the mesh on..........but would disconnect after a few minutes. I guess you are experiencing the same thing.........guessing "fast roaming" is the same thing as "smart connect".

I also created a seperate SSID for 2.4 GHz....that is the way to go IMHO for all devices....for example I have some iOT devices which are also 2.4 GHz only.........with single SSID enabled for both bands........it was almost impossible for them to connect.

Now I have no mesh, and no problems!
          I am not convinced that mesh is really needed. I recommend getting a single powerful router and placing it centrally......that is what I did............but I totally understand that for many folks ideal, central placement may not be possible.

Originally posted by edwin2006 View Post
          As far as I know wifi6 combines frequencies from 1 to 6GHz. I don't think that a SB can work with that. They only operate at 2.4GHz.
          I'm using ubiquiti unifi stuff and created a single SSID at 2.4 just for the oldies because when I activated fast roaming to get voip working they were unable to connect.

Comment

Originally posted by rajdude View Post
            AFAIK......... WiFi6 is a protocol....it can work on on 2.4 GHz and/or 5 GHz bands. My router has option to turn Wifi 6 on/off on those two bands individually. But that did not make any difference in my XT8 mesh system. When I deleted the mesh the SB radios able to connect to the XT8 a little more reliably. They did connect even with the mesh on..........but would disconnect after a few minutes. I guess you are experiencing the same thing.........guessing "fast roaming" is the same thing as "smart connect".

I also created a seperate SSID for 2.4 GHz....that is the way to go IMHO for all devices....for example I have some iOT devices which are also 2.4 GHz only.........with single SSID enabled for both bands........it was almost impossible for them to connect.

Now I have no mesh, and no problems!
            I am not convinced that mesh is really needed. I recommend getting a single powerful router and placing it centrally......that is what I did............but I totally understand that for many folks ideal, central placement may not be possible.
            My experience is that after years of reliable service, my Radio started losing connection to my "single powerful router", and my guess is that one of my neighbors upgraded to a mesh system which is interfering with my old school wifi setup. Unless you live in an area with no neighbors, don't be too surprised if your solution stops working.

Oh, and btw, I got rid of my old router to upgrade to a mesh, as it's better suited to a two story 2500 sq ft house. My TP-Link Deco M9 Plus system features an extra ethernet jack on each unit, so I use one for the radio.
            Last edited by familyfung; 2021-01-29, 17:53.

Comment

Same problems here, discovered it ws WIFI6

Same Problems with my squeezebox devices. Discovered it was WiFi6 also. No solution.
              Originally posted by ToreBB View Post
              Hi there!

I have recently bought myself a new Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router (Asus RT-AX58U), and running it in Access Point mode.

I have found that the 3 SB Radios I have connected with wifi looses their connection after a few minutes.
              A reboot alway brings them back online, again only for a few minutes.

Have also tried another Asus (RT-AX88U), same problem.

Now these Asus routers are set up as a mesh system, but this made no difference.

I found that disabling Wi-Fi 6 in the wireless settings of the routers solves the problem,
              regardless of running them seperatly in stand alone mode or togheter as a mesh system.

Also discovered that disabling Wi-Fi 6 is not permanent if the router is running in "Smart connect" mode.
              A reboot / power loss will make Wi-Fi 6 enabled again.

If you turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 it is permanent.

Anyone else experienced the same with Asus?

Tore BB

Comment

Same problem 😡

3 SB Touches, 2 Classics, 2 Boomboxes , a Duet and a Squeeze radio...what now.

Originally posted by ToreBB View Post
                Hi there!

I have recently bought myself a new Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router (Asus RT-AX58U), and running it in Access Point mode.

I have found that the 3 SB Radios I have connected with wifi looses their connection after a few minutes.
                A reboot alway brings them back online, again only for a few minutes.

Have also tried another Asus (RT-AX88U), same problem.

Now these Asus routers are set up as a mesh system, but this made no difference.

I found that disabling Wi-Fi 6 in the wireless settings of the routers solves the problem,
                regardless of running them seperatly in stand alone mode or togheter as a mesh system.

Also discovered that disabling Wi-Fi 6 is not permanent if the router is running in "Smart connect" mode.
                A reboot / power loss will make Wi-Fi 6 enabled again.

If you turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4 it is permanent.

Anyone else experienced the same with Asus?

Tore BB

Comment

Originally posted by Claudius View Post
                  3 SB Touches, 2 Classics, 2 Boomboxes , a Duet and a Squeeze radio...what now.
                  Have you done this:

turn Smart connect off and disable Wi-Fi 6 for 2.4
                  Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                  Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                  Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                  The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                  Controllers: iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
                  Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

An update to my post of 24/1. Even with Wi-fi 6 AX mode disabled for 2.4ghz band and ip address reserved for the Touch, intermittent disconnection occurs. iPeng says player not found. Touch will not connect to LMS music folder running on PC. Takes two consecutive reboots of Touch to reconnect. The battle continues ...

Comment

Give up on 'consumer' WiFi products and move over to Unifi products. https://unifi-network.ui.com/

All the diagnotics you need via the Controller and superbly reliable WiFi. Lots of products to choose from to suit your individual needs: https://www.ui.com/products/#default
                      Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                      Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
                      Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
                      Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
                      Bedroom: Radio
                      Shed: Radio
                      Workshop: Boom
                      Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
                      Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

Originally posted by Heuer View Post
                        Give up on 'consumer' WiFi products and move over to Unifi products. https://unifi-network.ui.com/

All the diagnotics you need via the Controller and superbly reliable WiFi. Lots of products to choose from to suit your individual needs: https://www.ui.com/products/#default
                        Unfortunately Unifi has similar issues. Since upgrading my APs to 5.XXX my radios are dropping from the network. I'm now in the process of testing an older AP with only 2.4Ghz to see if it will stay up for any period of time.

Comment

unifi, working for me mostly

Originally posted by nappyhead View Post
                          Unfortunately Unifi has similar issues. Since upgrading my APs to 5.XXX my radios are dropping from the network. I'm now in the process of testing an older AP with only 2.4Ghz to see if it will stay up for any period of time.
                          For my 3 Unifi APs (AC Pro, AC Lite, AC IW), I am running Unifi Controller 6.0.43 and all are running the latest firmware (4.3.24). I don't see a v5 firmware for my APs but perhaps you have different model APs (?).

I have issue with one of my radios, but the other two run fine using these APs. I do have "fast roaming" switched off in the controller. I also have separate wifi network ssids for 2.4 and 5 ghz. I hope whenever there is a firmware upgrade to 5.x I don't get hit with what you are seeing.

Tom
                          SB3(1), Boom(2), Radio(3), piCorePlayer (1)

Comment

Also using unifi but created a separate SSID for the SB stuff. Especially since fast roaming prevents SB to connect but also since pcp does not accept all characters as key (not sure which anymore but stumbled over it)
                            SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
                            Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
                            Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

I am using Unifi with 5 Switches, 4 AP Lite's, single SSID, latest Controller 6.0.45 and 4.3.24 AP f/w. My two Radio's have never disconnected. Controller setings are prety much those 'out of the box'. I have 'Prefer 5G' and 'Meshing' enabled. There are 34 WiFi clients.

One thing I have discovered is some devices do not like Channel 6 so I stick with 1 or 11.
                              Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                              Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
                              Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
                              Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
                              Bedroom: Radio
                              Shed: Radio
                              Workshop: Boom
                              Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
                              Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

Originally posted by Heuer View Post
                                I am using Unifi with 5 Switches, 4 AP Lite's, single SSID, latest Controller 6.0.45 and 4.3.24 AP f/w. My two Radio's have never disconnected. Controller setings are prety much those 'out of the box'. I have 'Prefer 5G' and 'Meshing' enabled. There are 34 WiFi clients.

One thing I have discovered is some devices do not like Channel 6 so I stick with 1 or 11.
                                I was poking around the Unifi community forum - read a few times (maybe from the same person) that 4.3.24 is not a great firmware and has issues with DHCP among other things. Don't know if that factors in to anyone's issues, just reporting. Clearly it works for some of us....

TomS
                                SB3(1), Boom(2), Radio(3), piCorePlayer (1)

Comment

Working...
                                X