Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Squeezebox with bluetooth speakers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Squeezebox with bluetooth speakers ?

Hi Everyone,
    Here is my scenario.......

I'm running both a Transporter(Livingroom room/main system) and a Squeezebox Duet(Older receiver with wired speakers on patio)

I'm looking to get rid of the wired speakers on the patio and replace them with bluetooth speakers. Keep in mind the receiver I have is an older Yamaha. no bluetooth capabilities.

I usually sync both my squeezebox & Transporter, but still enjoy being able to play different content to each receiver.

Any solutions for running bluetooth speakers to the squeezebox ? I currently running RCA cables directly into the Yamaha receiver. From my research a dongle could be attached to an input, but how do I get that signal wired to squeezebox receiver.

Hope I have not made this sound too confusing, just like to give all the details of my set-up.

Any help is ALWAYS greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bunkertoy; 2022-08-24, 20:12. Reason: wrong info

I believe you would need to change out your Duet receiver for a Raspberry Pi running the PiCore Player software that supports bluetooth and then you could leave it configured the way it is with RCA's from your amp to the speakers and either use LMS to drive the Pi or bluetooth.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.3.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, farthest unit gets 60% signal strength and always works since new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.3.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

After digging deeper..... I found a site saying I can use a headphone jack on my receiver to plug in a bluetooth receiver and this way I can still have my source selection on the Yamaha receiver.

Anyone think this won't work ?

Comment

Originally posted by bunkertoy View Post
        use a headphone jack on my receiver to plug in a bluetooth receiver
        You mean BT transmitter. That should work; whatever is playing on the receiver will be available via BT. Some receivers mute speakers when headphones plugged in, if that matters. You could alternatively connect BT transmitter to rear panel "Tape Out".

Comment

Originally posted by Apesbrain View Post
          You mean BT transmitter. That should work; whatever is playing on the receiver will be available via BT. Some receivers mute speakers when headphones plugged in, if that matters. You could alternatively connect BT transmitter to rear panel "Tape Out".
          Yes I meant transmitter. This appears to be a nice quick fix. Just need to find a decent one.
          Cheers

Comment

Yes I meant transmitter. This appears to be a nice quick fix. Just need to find a decent one.
            Cheers
            Assuming you have a smartphone or tablet, you already have Bluetooth transmitter.

Install either Squeeze Player or SB Player (Android) or iPeng (iOS). You can then select your phone/tablet as a player, and control it with your Duet's controller or whatever control method you normally use, and transmit to a Bluetooth speaker.

Picture below shows available players I have on my network. ATM I'm using my phone to Bluetooth to an Audio Engine B2 speaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MotoG8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1575626

Name:	MotoG802.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1575627
            Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
            Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
            Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

Originally posted by kidstypike View Post
              Assuming you have a smartphone or tablet, you already have Bluetooth transmitter.

Install either Squeeze Player or SB Player (Android) or iPeng (iOS). You can then select your phone/tablet as a player, and control it with your Duet's controller or whatever control method you normally use, and transmit to a Bluetooth speaker.

Picture below shows available players I have on my network. ATM I'm using my phone to Bluetooth to an Audio Engine B2 speaker.

[ATTACH]38619[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38620[/ATTACH]
              I'm using Squeeze Ctrl as my app to control players. I paid for it on google store. Is SB player different ? or maybe I can accomplish this on Squeeze Ctrl.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm using Squeeze Ctrl as my app to control players. I paid for it on google store. Is SB player different ? or maybe I can accomplish this on Squeeze Ctrl.
                Squeeze Ctrl isn't a player, it's solely an LMS controller app.

SB Player is a player, it will appear as a player in Squeeze Ctrl's select player.

Name:	MotoG803.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1575632
                Last edited by kidstypike; 2022-08-24, 22:42.
                Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Comment

Wow, I'm always blown away with how versatile the whole thing is. Amazing !!
                  Thank you

Comment

Squeeze Ctrl isn't a player, it's solely an LMS controller app.

SB Player is a player, it will appear as a player in Squeeze Ctrl's select player.

[ATTACH]38625[/ATTACH]
                    Last question: Much of a difference between the 2 apps you mentioned, besides the price ?

Comment

Last question: Much of a difference between the 2 apps you mentioned, besides the price ?
                      No, none that I know of, they don't really have much of an interface, a few settings each, but I've never touched those.

Name:	SB Player.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1575633

Name:	Squeeze Player.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1575634

Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Comment

No, none that I know of, they don't really have much of an interface, a few settings each, but I've never touched those.

[ATTACH]38626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38627[/ATTACH]
                        I seem to remember reading that SB Player synchronizes better to other players than Squeezeplay.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                        Bedroom: Radio
                        Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
                          I seem to remember reading that SB Player synchronizes better to other players than Squeezeplay.

Squeezeplay isn't Squeeze Player

SqueezePlay is a JiveLite player for Windows or Mac.

Name:	SqueezePlay.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1575635

Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Comment

Thanks again everyone, some great stuff to figure out which works best for me.
                            Think I'm going to just plug in a BT transmitter to my Yamaha amp, otherwise my amp becomes a boat anchor.

Comment

Squeezeplay isn't Squeeze Player

SqueezePlay is a JiveLite player for Windows or Mac.

[ATTACH]38628[/ATTACH]
                              I meant SqueezePlayer [emoji1787]

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                              Bedroom: Radio
                              Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Working...
                              X