External battery extension for Boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External battery

I've been using my Boom in the garden with a USB battery pack that has a 12V output, unfortunately these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) don't seem to be available any more, but there may be an equivalent at a sensible price. This one was only £21 when I bought it.

It's a 12Ah battery, with a selectable 12 / 16 / 19V output and gives around 7.5 hours of continuous use on the Boom, even at quite elevated volumes. It's reminded me just how good the Boom is, compared to a similarly powerful Sony Bluetooth speaker I have, the clarity and musicality of the Boom is streets ahead. Active speaker operation is such a big win.

I've just made a simple lead that connects the two (the one in the image was a lash up, held together with masking tape!), but I may look to make at a 3D-printed holder that attaches to the Boom - I hadn't even realised there were screw fixings under that recess at the back!

I need to fix the display, it's impossible to see in daylight now!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200424_165451_Bokeh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	1568748

Comment

Originally posted by ALW View Post
      I've just made a simple lead that connects the two (the one in the image was a lash up, held together with masking tape!), but I may look to make at a 3D-printed holder that attaches to the Boom - I hadn't even realised there were screw fixings under that recess at the back!
      There is piece that is screwed to the boom using existing mounting holes and then the rest box with battery and charger slides into it.
      Last edited by philippe_44; 2020-05-01, 16:34.
      LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

I may look to make at a 3D-printed holder that attaches to the Boom - I hadn't even realised there were screw fixings under that recess at the back!
        If my AutoCAD file for the box shown in Philippe's photo would be any use to you as a starting point, drop me a PM.

Comment

I've been using my Boom in the garden with a USB battery pack that has a 12V output, unfortunately these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) don't seem to be available any more, but there may be an equivalent at a sensible price. This one was only £21 when I bought it.

It's a 12Ah battery, with a selectable 12 / 16 / 19V output and gives around 7.5 hours of continuous use on the Boom, even at quite elevated volumes. It's reminded me just how good the Boom is, compared to a similarly powerful Sony Bluetooth speaker I have, the clarity and musicality of the Boom is streets ahead. Active speaker operation is such a big win.

Hi, can you share the name of your battery pack? I'm interested in this and amazon link is not working any more.

Comment

Working...
          X