BOOM suddenly refuse to connect to server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOM suddenly refuse to connect to server

My 3 squeezebox Boom has work almost flawlessly during 10 year (apart from fixing displays and power adapters).
    But a few days ago they disconnected form my server and refuse to connect.

As all stopped at the same time I don't think it is hardware related, I wonder if it could be a Nightly release?
    I'm currently at LMS Version: 8.3.0 - 1654547000

Other squeezeboxes works fine.

Any help is appreciated.
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 8.3.0 by QLMS 2.30.01 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Receiver, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: Control by Material skin or iPeng, Local music or Spotify by Spotty

LMS logs?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Reboot LMS server and each Boom? IP address change on LMS host?

Comment

Logs do not show anything related (just regular issues of spotty seeing an empty credential file).

LMS is restarted.
        QNAP (LMS host) is rebooted.
        LMS runs on same IP-address and port as the last 15 years.

Boom is restarted (long press on power button untill logo appears).
        Boom restarts and and acquire IP-address.
        Then it tries to access server... for days without success.

Comment

Seems like BOOM kan get a very short connection, sometime it pulls a screensaver that appear frozen, one time it picked up a radio stream.
          When radio-stream was picked up, it played but then connection to server was lost so volume or stop did not work.

Comment

Perhaps force it through a reset
            Paul Webster
            Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
            and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
              Tried both reset and Xilinx reprogramming.
              No improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

LMS servers announce their presence to players using a reply to a broadcast UDP packet sent by the player. So if broadcast UDP has been blocked - player will not find LMS servers.

Can you manually LMS Server IP address into a Boom (use Boom FW menu) and see if contact can be made ?

Comment

Could be the host. Try installing LMS on a PC/Rpi/mac and see if the Booms connect to that server
                  Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                  Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
                  Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
                  Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Shed: Radio
                  Workshop: Boom
                  Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
                  Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

Originally posted by bpa View Post
                    LMS servers announce their presence to players using a reply to a broadcast UDP packet sent by the player. So if broadcast UDP has been blocked - player will not find LMS servers.

Can you manually LMS Server IP address into a Boom (use Boom FW menu) and see if contact can be made ?
                    I tried to reset WiFi settings, I use DHCP so it is a matter of requesting new IP-address.
                    No difference.

After a BOOM reboot I can see it in LMS for a short time, but as soon I try to access the player disappear, or just waiting a few seconds without doing anything make it disappear as well.
                    I tried different versions of LMS (8.3.0 and 8.2.1,) and different version of Perl (my LMS run an a Qnap with QLMS).

----

I started to investigate my network, so I started to ping my squeezeboxes, I noticed that all responded but the BOOM's.

When checking my DHCP server vs. my WiFi controller I could see DHCP reported BOOMs with unique IP, but WiFi controller (Unifi) reported all BOOMs on the same IP!
                    I'm not sure why, or even how this could happen. But of course this is the reason.

I did static mapping/reservation to all players and now they have unique IP addresses on both DHCP and Server, and as expected BOOMs started to work immediately.

I assume a new firmware on the AP caused this.

All is good after a few days debugging... never thought this would be the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by jasell View Post
                      I tried to reset WiFi settings, I use DHCP so it is a matter of requesting new IP-address.
                      No difference.
                      Nothing to do with DHCP.
                      You misunderstand - manually enter the IP address of the LMS server in the player not the IP address of the player.

After a BOOM reboot I can see it in LMS for a short time, but as soon I try to access the player disappear, or just waiting a few seconds without doing anything make it disappear as well.
                      I tried different versions of LMS (8.3.0 and 8.2.1,) and different version of Perl (my LMS run an a Qnap with QLMS).
                      Enable LMS logging such as network.protocol.slimproto to INFO, make it persistent and then restart LMS. Then reboot one Boom player (the UDP Discover broadcast packet is only sent on player power up)

Comment

Years ago I had a similar issue with wifi. I had to replace or reseat (I forget which) the wifi card. There are some instructions here somewhere how to take the player apart to get to it.
                        Can you connect via ethernet to see if it connects that way?

Comment

Originally posted by stereoptic View Post
                          Years ago I had a similar issue with wifi. I had to replace or reseat (I forget which) the wifi card. There are some instructions here somewhere how to take the player apart to get to it.
                          Can you connect via ethernet to see if it connects that way?
                          It would be a massive coincidence if the WiFi cards in 3 Booms failed at the same time [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                          Bedroom: Radio
                          Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
                            It would be a massive coincidence if the WiFi cards in 3 Booms failed at the same time [emoji2]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                            Yeah, play the lottery!! . I missed the post where the OP explained that he had sorted it out.

Comment

Problem solved!

It was my wifi controller (Unifi ) that registred each BOOM, in spite of unique MAC, by same IP address.

The address showed correct on each BOOM and thoose corresponded with the DHCP record.

As PING did not work on any of the BOOMs, I looked further trying to find some indication of what could be wrong. By coincident I saw the fault when I was looking for connection quality.

I have no explanation how this could happen, seems extremely odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X