• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement PSU for Boom

Hello

Mine has failed (after 10 years).

I've found this:

Any other recommendations (I'm UK-based) ?

Thanks
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S9+ (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Originally posted by swayzak View Post
    The original PSU that comes with the Boom is a 12V/2.5A (30W) switch mode power supply. The power output of the PSU that you are linking to is not specified, which does not give me high confidence.
    For a replacement look for a 12V supply with a max power output of at least 30W. More than 30W is OK, and is in principle more reliable.

I am using now a "Mean Well GST60A12" (12V / 60W) with my Boom, and that one is working fine, even if 60W is overkill.
    You can also consider the "Mean Well GST40A12" (12V / 40W), which is lower priced and should be more than sufficient for the Boom. Mean Well PSU's have a solid reputation.

PS: Are you sure your PSU has died? It is probably a good idea to check the 12V power connector of the Boom. I remember that I have read about contact problems on this forum.
    Last edited by CJS; 2021-05-28, 22:00.
    | LMS 8.3.1 | Squeezebox Boom | RPi0W + pCP 8.2.0 + HiFiBerry DAC Zero | SqueezeAMP | ESP Muse Luxe |

Comment

Thank you.

Does it have the correct fitting plug (for the Boom) ?

I've read some of the replacements are a bit loose....
      Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S9+ (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Comment

IIRC The Boom PSU needs a high current rating as there is surge on power on when charging the internal hicap

Also the PSU on pre-production Booms were 18V 1.67A - it'll work but lots of excess heat.

Comment

Thank you.

Does it have the correct fitting plug (for the Boom) ?

I've read some of the replacements are a bit loose....
          My Mean Well has the correct plug. Btw, it is probably a good idea to check if the power plug of your existing PSU makes a reliable connection with the power connector of your Boom. It seems that a bad connection is a common problem, see following posts:

| LMS 8.3.1 | Squeezebox Boom | RPi0W + pCP 8.2.0 + HiFiBerry DAC Zero | SqueezeAMP | ESP Muse Luxe |

Comment

Originally posted by CJS View Post
            PS: Are you sure your PSU has died? It is probably a good idea to check the 12V power connector of the Boom. I remember that I have read about contact problems on this forum.
            It works fine with my 2nd Boom's PSU.

We had a serious electrical issue this week after having electric car charging point installed (involved losing electricity for 12 hours and our supplier digging up half the neighbourhood looking for faulty earth cable !).

I suspect the death of this Boom psu may be related to this ...

Comment

It works fine with my 2nd Boom's PSU.

We had a serious electrical issue this week after having electric car charging point installed (involved losing electricity for 12 hours and our supplier digging up half the neighbourhood looking for faulty earth cable !).

I suspect the death of this Boom psu may be related to this ...
              I use Berls badged 40W adaptors to power my two booms, the connector is a good fit, they are quite small, not much bigger than a 13A plug and run cool.
              BS-40W1203000DUI

Comment

Originally posted by IanH99 View Post
                I use Berls badged 40W adaptors to power my two booms, the connector is a good fit, they are quite small, not much bigger than a 13A plug and run cool.
                BS-40W1203000DUI
                Thanks

So this would do ?

Comment

I'm not enthusiastic about adjustable power supplies, I've blown up more than one device by plugging a supply set to the wrong voltage. You might be more careful than me though.
                  Looking back through my Amazon history they are recorded as BENSN 12V 3A Power supply adaptor, even though mine are badged as BERLS, they might even be the same company.

Comment

Originally posted by IanH99 View Post
                    I'm not enthusiastic about adjustable power supplies, I've blown up more than one device by plugging a supply set to the wrong voltage. You might be more careful than me though.
                    Looking back through my Amazon history they are recorded as BENSN 12V 3A Power supply adaptor, even though mine are badged as BERLS, they might even be the same company.
                    Purchased now. Will be extra careful !

Comment

The Berls I linked to seems to work fine.

However I'm not an electrical engineer or electrician.

I would be v grateful if someone could run over the spec and compare to that required by the Boom - is it likely to be ok in the long run ?

Thanks

Comment

The Berls I linked to seems to work fine.

However I'm not an electrical engineer or electrician.

I would be v grateful if someone could run over the spec and compare to that required by the Boom - is it likely to be ok in the long run ?

Thanks
                        Yes that should be fine long term. Modern power supplies are more efficient and accurate than they were when the booms were being made. So the Boom should be very happy with that supply.
                        Since the squeezebox family are all getting old I suspect many of them are now running on replacement supplies.
                        My booms burn about 9W at my usual volume, so the supply is running at about 25% of its rated power. Which means it stays cold and should last for years.

Comment

Much obliged. Thanks (all).

Comment

My Boom and SB3 power supplies both stopped working recently - can' t be sure, but I suspect related to a power cut during a thunderstom.

Had an extra SB3 PSU but didn't have anything for the Boom. Was briefly excited to see that Logitech still list them on the spares site, but when I tried to add it to my basket, got told they were out of stock. So thanks to this thread, got myself a Berls, and my Boom is now happily working again!

i'm sure you can appreciate my delight/relief. Thanks all, particularly IanH99 and swayzak

Comment

Working...
                            X