Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Boom speaker deterioration inevitable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Sure, I just measured 3.7Ω on one of the originals, close enough to 4Ω.
    Thank you Sir !!

Comment

With Joe's update to let us know about 4 ohm I would think this should work.

Sounds like it should be in stock by the end of the month.
      Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.3.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, farthest unit gets 60% signal strength and always works since new power supply) and Squeeseslave
      Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.3.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
      Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
      Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

looks really promising, please let us all know how it went.

Gesendet von meinem STK-LX1 mit Tapatalk
        sigpic

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Comment

Some may remember that I ordered some replacement drivers fro Ali-Express ?

Well they turned out to be nill stock and I got my money refunded.

Luckily parts express had the FaitalPRO drivers back in stock, so I ordered a couple of those.
          After a bit of modifying, they fitted great !

They sounded very average.......... until they were "run in" for about 20 hours, then they sounded just like the old ones !!!
          I have the bass set at +10 and the treble set at +2

I have ordered new rubber surrounds and will give that a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	1574958

Comment

Hi,
            I ordered new foam rings and glue from speakerrepairshop.nl to my second sb boom. The sound is exactly the same as my other one after repair, i recomend that use glue on both contact surfaces and wait a couple of minutes before gluing them together.
            /Patrik

Comment

fix it yourself

Just to concur, the rubber surround (called the foam surround for some reason) is not very difficult to replace, with some gentle persuasion and the right tools.
              I have fixed four drivers units personnally. The SimplySpeakers shop, Good HiFi VOF or even AliX all have suitable replacement rubber surrounds. The AliX ones being a thinner rubber than the others, and cheaper too. I haven't researched the type of glue that the first two places supplied, one being clear, the other white, but both allow a bit of positioning before they become fully stuck which takes overnight to fully harden. The white glue comes in a small bottle with a small brush in the lid, like nail polish, which helps applying the glue to the right place.
              Dismantling instructions are available thru links here or even videos on YT.
              So give it a go, replacing the whole driver unit or re-coning the driver is way over the top, unneccessary, in my op.
              cheers CD
              LMS on win10 pro - 3x radio, 2x Boom, Receiver into Yamaha 3030 AVR, Duet controller, iPeng IOS Remote & Player.

Comment

Originally posted by doobre View Post
                I have fixed four drivers units personnally. The SimplySpeakers shop, Good HiFi VOF or even AliX all have suitable replacement rubber surrounds.
                Any parts numbers so others can order?

DR

Comment

I was able to repaired the two woofer with silicon.
                  Applied gently the silicon with a Q-Tip layer per layer.

I also take my Dremel and removed about 1mm or 2mm of the metal surronding in front of the woofer.
                  It's been more than 8 years I made this modification.
                  SB Boom is used every day for listeming to radio and music in the kitchen.
                  Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
                  2 X SB2
                  1 X SB Boom
                  2 X SB Touch
                  3 X SBRadio
                  1 X Transporter
                  1 X Duet + Remote
                  4 X Rpi+ Picoreplayer
                  2 X Chromecast
                  1 X Chromecast Audio
                  1 X Atoll ST100
                  1 X Merging NADAC

All devices connected via CeolBOX server aka The Musical Box
                  Using OrangeSqueeze and Material Skin Plug-in to remote all my connected devices.

Comment

Specific part numbers

Originally posted by djringjr View Post
                    Any parts numbers so others can order?

DR
                    I didn't include that detail cos the suppliers that I mentioned are likely to change over time... BUT they are easily contacted and they will recommend suitable parts..

AliX might be a different story though, fit and quality wise.. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...48ef1802INnN1l
                    LMS on win10 pro - 3x radio, 2x Boom, Receiver into Yamaha 3030 AVR, Duet controller, iPeng IOS Remote & Player.

Comment

Working...
                    X