Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kappclark
    • Apr 2009

Convert FLAC TO 320mp3

Have an older Ford Fiesta. Stereo does not support FLAC, but plays MP3 fine off USB.

What is a good linux utility to convert FLAC to MP3 .. I have maybe 100 FLACS I would like to convert...I am running Debian.

Thank YOu ,

================
    UPDATE -- I solved this with a quick search ... simple code works like a charm, so maybe this will help the next person:

Apologies for the false alarm
    Last edited by kappclark; 2022-05-30, 21:37.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.2 - 1684876716 @ Wed 24 May 2023
    Hostname: Pi-Base34​
    -----------------------------------------------
  • Yatsushiro
    • May 2017

I use Clementine. It offers many tools for audio (conversion, tag editing, cover art, etc) as well as being a good player in itself.

Comment

• kappclark
      • Apr 2009

I will check out Clementine...thx
      Bill Clark, Windham, VT

Comment

• elstensoftware
        • Jun 2009

mp3fs is my favourite solution: https://www.blisshq.com/music-librar...ng-with-mp3fs/
        bliss - fully automated music library management. Read the music library management blog including how to use bliss to manage Squeezebox album art

Comment

• kappclark
          • Apr 2009

Interesting mp3fs -- reading through it, it appears it is transcoding the flacs in real time as MP3's (which saves so much space) ..

my need is for the actual mp3 files, which need to be put on a flash drive, and then can be listened to in the car...
          Bill Clark, Windham, VT

Comment

• Miles9
            • Feb 2021

Originally posted by kappclark
            my need is for the actual mp3 files, which need to be put on a flash drive, and then can be listened to in the car...
            The neat thing about mp3fs is that you are only maintaining one set of files. You don't need to use additional space for mp3-versions of your files, and also don't need to think about making a separate version of those files you just added to your collection - just in case you may want to bring them to your car later. Instead the mp3-version is created the moment you copy the songs you want onto your flash drive.

Mp3fs is convenient when you now and then need to pick up a low resolution copy of some songs.
            On the other hand, if you have a large flash drive that contains your complete collection in mp3 format this becomes more of a one-time script job. Then there isn't that much to gain by using mp3fs.
            Depends on your use case :-)

Comment

• zordaz
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Yatsushiro
              I use Clementine. It offers many tools for audio (conversion, tag editing, cover art, etc) as well as being a good player in itself.
              IMO Fre:ac and Sound Converter are also good options for converting files. Which one suits you best is of course mostly a personal preference, althought it also might depend on your current installation.
              Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
              Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
              Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
              LMS: Version 8.5.1 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS

Comment

• gordonb3
                • Dec 2020

Just use ffmpeg - it will also fill the mp3 tags with information from the source flac

Code:
                ffmpeg -i input.flac -b:a 320k output.mp3
                Or to process all files below the current folder:

Code:
                find . -type f -name '*.flac' -exec bash -c 'FILE="$1"; ffmpeg -i "${FILE}" -b:a 320k "${FILE%.flac}.mp3";' _ '{}' \;

Comment

• RobbH
                  • Jun 2017

Just for the sake of completeness, this is the script I use to convert all flac files in a directory to mp3. It is practically identical to the command Bill found in the first post in this thread, but using ffmpeg. It is not original, but I don't recall where I found it:

Code:
                  #!/bin/bash
                  [[ $# == 0 ]] && set -- *.flac
                  for f; do
                    ffmpeg -hide_banner -i "$f" -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 320k "${f[@]/%flac/mp3}"
                  done
                  Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with a mix of Squeezebox Radio, Boom, Touch, and virtual players.

Comment

• agbagb
                    • Aug 2006

I use FlacSquisher, which has the advantage of both working in bulk (if you want) and preserving the file structure of the FLAC originals in the new MP3s.
                    Gary Brown
                    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
                    Win11
                    Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
                    Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
                    External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
                    1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
                    1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
                    [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]

Comment

• elstensoftware
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Miles9
                      The neat thing about mp3fs is that you are only maintaining one set of files. You don't need to use additional space for mp3-versions of your files, and also don't need to think about making a separate version of those files you just added to your collection - just in case you may want to bring them to your car later. Instead the mp3-version is created the moment you copy the songs you want onto your flash drive.
                      Some sort of hybrid that works lazily but caches transcoded files, checking the last modified dates to know when to flush the cache, would be nice.
                      bliss - fully automated music library management. Read the music library management blog including how to use bliss to manage Squeezebox album art

Comment

• kappclark
                        • Apr 2009

Thank you all for the fabulous suggestions .. so much to learn ... and all very helpful...
                        Bill Clark, Windham, VT

Comment

• DavidBullock62
                          • Oct 2021

Apologies for a late reply, I am pretty sure the VLC Media player also has a bulk conversion capability under save/convert.

Comment

• w3wilkes
                            • Jan 2009

DBPoweramp also has a batch converter that works well and preserves tags.
                            Wilkes

Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.5.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, both work perfectly, new power supply) and Squeeseslave
                            Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.5.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
                            Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
                            Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Comment

• pfarrell
                              • Apr 2005

I've been using ffmpeg to do the flac to mp3 conversion. I find the ffmpeg documentation to be dense and hard to follow. Apparently ffmpeg the program is just a wrapper that calls all sorts of amazing libraries to do all sorts of conversions. But there is little consistency between modules so the same command options can mean varying things. So far, I'm using
                              -b:a 320k -q:a 0
                              but I don't know what the -q option does.
                              Pat
                              http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

Working...