Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by d6jg
    My FLAC copy has a different Kbps !!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	90
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	1629273​
    What level of FLAC compression do you choose? I captured mine at 24/96 then converted to 16/44.1 level 5 FLAC after removing the obvious clicks.
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

    Comment


    • Originally posted by slartibartfast

      What level of FLAC compression do you choose? I captured mine at 24/96 then converted to 16/44.1 level 5 FLAC after removing the obvious clicks.
      Level 5 but the capture was direct to 16:44.1

      Jim



      VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
      Dining Room SB Radio
      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
      Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

      Comment


      • Originally posted by d6jg

        Level 5 but the capture was direct to 16:44.1
        This is track 5 info Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230205-003355.png
Views:	77
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1629277
        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
        Bedroom: Radio
        Bathroom: Radio

        Comment


        • Originally posted by slartibartfast

          Indeed so it is now redigitised 🀣. I have seen many reviews complaining about the "thin" sound quality and blaming it on the digital recording. It sounds fine to me.
          Cooder's Bop Till You Drop is one of my favorite albums. It was in fact recorded completely digitally, not to analog tape and then digitized, so there shouldn't be any analog files that can be re-digitized. I've loved the album from the first listen and have never really understood the issues people claim. But for years Cooder made it known he wasn't too pleased with the final product. Favorites - Little Sister and the instrumental I Think It's Going To Work Out Fine. This was about the time that I was listening a lot to Ike and Tina Turner's River Deep Mountain High, and they had a vocal version of Work Out Fine, I enjoyed playing them back to back, or at least CD after CD (much harder to play tracks back to back, back in the day).
          LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
          Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
          Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
          Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
          Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
          Radio (WiFi) - home office
          Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
          Touch x 1 - spare
          UE Radio x 1 - spare
          Boom x 1 - spare
          Controller x 1 - Spare

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RonM

            Cooder's Bop Till You Drop is one of my favorite albums. It was in fact recorded completely digitally, not to analog tape and then digitized, so there shouldn't be any analog files that can be re-digitized. I've loved the album from the first listen and have never really understood the issues people claim. But for years Cooder made it known he wasn't too pleased with the final product. Favorites - Little Sister and the instrumental I Think It's Going To Work Out Fine. This was about the time that I was listening a lot to Ike and Tina Turner's River Deep Mountain High, and they had a vocal version of Work Out Fine, I enjoyed playing them back to back, or at least CD after CD (much harder to play tracks back to back, back in the day).
            In my case it is redigitised because I did a needle drop of the vinyl πŸ˜€
            Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
            Bedroom: Radio
            Bathroom: Radio

            Comment


            • Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (1967) Just to follow on from recent Ry Cooder posts, this was one of Cooder's earlier appearances on record. I'm a long time listener to Captain Beefheart, having started with the magnificent Trout Mask Replica about a decade or so after its release, backtracking to the earlier LPs and forward including the 'tragic band' era and Beefheart's return to form.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	safeasmilk.png
Views:	70
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	1629288
              Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
              Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
              2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
              Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
              Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

              Comment


              • Playing the longest track in my music collection. La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela - The Well-Tuned Piano in the Magenta Lights: β€œ87 V 10 6:43:00 PM β€” 87 V 11 1:07:45 AM NYC”. It's 6h25m01s long, and I rarely play it all the way through!

                Click image for larger version

Name:	a0501089148_16.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1629290
                Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
                Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
                2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
                Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
                Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
                  Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (1967) Just to follow on from recent Ry Cooder posts, this was one of Cooder's earlier appearances on record. I'm a long time listener to Captain Beefheart, having started with the magnificent Trout Mask Replica about a decade or so after its release, backtracking to the earlier LPs and forward including the 'tragic band' era and Beefheart's return to form.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	safeasmilk.png
Views:	70
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	1629288
                  I saw Beefheart live at Loughborough Uni during his tour promoting "Doc At The Radar Station". One of the weirdest concerts I have ever seen, in a good way πŸ˜€. I found a bootleg recording of the concert on Dimeadozen and you hear the sound of plastic beer "glasses" on the floor being kicked in between tracks at times. That sound was a constant at all concerts in the Student's Union building 🀣
                  Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Bathroom: Radio

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by d6jg
                    My FLAC copy has a different Kbps !!

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	90
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	1629273​
                    This has started to bother me for some reason. I can only think it is down to the amplitude of the waveform. I played the same track from Tidal which was 800kbps compared to my 741kbps. The Tidal track was louder than mine with replaygain turned off.
                    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                    Bedroom: Radio
                    Bathroom: Radio

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by slartibartfast

                      I saw Beefheart live at Loughborough Uni during his tour promoting "Doc At The Radar Station". One of the weirdest concerts I have ever seen, in a good way πŸ˜€. I found a bootleg recording of the concert on Dimeadozen and you hear the sound of plastic beer "glasses" on the floor being kicked in between tracks at times. That sound was a constant at all concerts in the Student's Union building 🀣

                      How about a theme covering 'Bands at the Union'?

                      Here's two I recall (date is only approximate!) :
                      ​​​​​​
                      The Kinks - 1968 Newcastle Uni

                      Wings - 1971 Birmingham Uni
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by slartibartfast

                        This has started to bother me for some reason. I can only think it is down to the amplitude of the waveform. I played the same track from Tidal which was 800kbps compared to my 741kbps. The Tidal track was louder than mine with replaygain turned off.
                        It could easily be the volume setting at the ADC stage. As you know I use VinylStudio which has a setting for digital in to effectively set the volume at optimum level. There is no such option in Audacity that I’m aware of where the recording level is manually set
                        Jim



                        VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                        Dining Room SB Radio
                        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by d6jg

                          It could easily be the volume setting at the ADC stage. As you know I use VinylStudio which has a setting for digital in to effectively set the volume at optimum level. There is no such option in Audacity that I’m aware of where the recording level is manually set
                          If you use replaygain can you check all the values for that track. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the peaks on the Tidal version are clipped. I noticed some minor clicks on some of my tracks which I am tracking down one by one. I wouldn't normally bother but the rest of it is so quiet they are annoying me πŸ˜€
                          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                          Bedroom: Radio
                          Bathroom: Radio

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by slartibartfast

                            If you use replaygain can you check all the values for that track. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the peaks on the Tidal version are clipped. I noticed some minor clicks on some of my tracks which I am tracking down one by one. I wouldn't normally bother but the rest of it is so quiet they are annoying me πŸ˜€
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	30A6DF6B-9C0B-4FA3-B165-B9DCBA06ED80.png
Views:	137
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1629330 Click image for larger version

Name:	C39BA885-DC0E-409B-8F71-64E8B7DD3EF6.png
Views:	138
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1629331
                            Attached Files
                            Jim



                            VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                            Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                            Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                            Dining Room SB Radio
                            Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                            Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                            Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by d6jg

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	30A6DF6B-9C0B-4FA3-B165-B9DCBA06ED80.png
Views:	137
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1629330 Click image for larger version

Name:	C39BA885-DC0E-409B-8F71-64E8B7DD3EF6.png
Views:	138
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1629331
                              That probably explains it then. My figures are very different. Does Vinyl Studio normalise each track separately? My highest peak is track 3 followed by track 1 but track 5 has a lower peak than both of them.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230205-160015.png
Views:	140
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1629337

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230205-160042.png
Views:	135
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1629338
                              Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                              Bedroom: Radio
                              Bathroom: Radio

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by slartibartfast

                                That probably explains it then. My figures are very different. Does Vinyl Studio normalise each track separately? My highest peak is track 3 followed by track 1 but track 5 has a lower peak than both of them.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230205-160015.png
Views:	140
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1629337

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230205-160042.png
Views:	135
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1629338
                                VinylStudio can do β€œnormalisation” but I don’t use it. My RG tags come from Foobar2000 which I use as a post processor after Flacs have been created.
                                Jim



                                VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                                Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                                Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                                Dining Room SB Radio
                                Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                                Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                                Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎