Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enjoy Radio Paradise? Like Lossless Internet Radio Streams? Read On...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redrum View Post
    I'll say...

I never really noticed, I just felt that the gain wasn't low, like some stations. When I would turn it on, especially on nice kit (as compared to say a radio or boom), I would think "this sounds good!". I guess I am a sucker for the perception that louder sounds better .

Janis and Peter do sound different Which Janis song?

There are different definitions of brickwalled, are you saying you think they are limiting, compressing the dynamic range? I can't say I hear it, but my ears have alot of years on them, and maybe I am not listening for it,

I would be interested in what a waveform looks like for say a Van morrison, Ray Lamontagne, even older less dynamic, like Moody Blues.

I listen to this station on good equipment quite a bit and always think it sounds good, like RP. I has always attributed it to the higher bitrate than the typical 128kbps of alot of other stations.

Very interesting...

Jim

PS - There is another radio station that I have alweays thought "sounds hot" (the audio signal) - Planet Pootwaddle https://planetpootwaddle.com/ wonder how this compares..
    Planet Pootwaddle doesn't look heavily compressed at all
    Attached Files
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by garym View Post
      Is JBRadio the top or bottom section of the second graph?
      I assume JB is the left of the second, showing right and left channel (top bottom).

@slarti - can you stretch the JB vs CD to see a bit more detail? I have always thought that the station sounded real good, but in thinking, maybe it was especially things on the softer or even mid dynamic (Gabriel, Steely Dan, etc). Now that you mention it, I can remember turning down a real rocker because it was mildly irritating at higher volumes. Maybe this is why, Maybe you picked up on this right away and I was oblivious

Even though FLAC crashes,I wonder what their waveform looks like...

Jim

Comment

ok, it's obvious that RP, Pootwaddle, seem to have close to unity gain. But, what we are seeing for JB radio, is it compression, or is it mode a case of 3, 6, etc dB gain added? I guess you could examine a few samples of the waveform.

How are you recording it? Sorry, I used to have access to a studio and protools, don't now, and have never explored how to do it since...

Jim

Comment

Aha. Now I understand. I was reading this wrong. No coffee yet.
          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
          Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
          The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
          Controllers: iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

ok, it's obvious that RP, Pootwaddle, seem to have close to unity gain. But, what we are seeing for JB radio, is it compression, or is it mode a case of 3, 6, etc dB gain added? I guess you could examine a few samples of the waveform.

How are you recording it? Sorry, I used to have access to a studio and protools, don't now, and have never explored how to do it since...

Jim
            I just used Audacity recording from Squeezeplay. The JB Radio waveform isn't clipped so I assume they just use compression.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
            Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF

Comment

I assume JB is the left of the second, showing right and left channel (top bottom).

@slarti - can you stretch the JB vs CD to see a bit more detail? I have always thought that the station sounded real good, but in thinking, maybe it was especially things on the softer or even mid dynamic (Gabriel, Steely Dan, etc). Now that you mention it, I can remember turning down a real rocker because it was mildly irritating at higher volumes. Maybe this is why, Maybe you picked up on this right away and I was oblivious

Jim
              Right, this shows JB Radio Left and Right at the top and CD Left and Right on the bottom.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by garym View Post
                Aha. Now I understand. I was reading this wrong. No coffee yet.
                and I had had my first cup...

Comment

Jim
                  They are playing something now
                  Am Fenster - City
                  and that looks and sounds fine on both AAC and FLAC streams so not everything is compressed. Weird. The next track
                  The Stable Song - Gregory Alan Isakov
                  looks OK as well.

Comment

Maybe it depends on time of day, this is Rock The Casbah. It looks fine to me.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                      Just for fun ... I have added the Jazz flac station to my beta RadioNowPlaying plugin.
                      Great Paul. Thanks

Working fine and with extended character set too, or does that come automatically?

Comment

Originally posted by ian_heys View Post
                        Working fine and with extended character set too, or does that come automatically?
                        That is the magic of UTF8 and JSON encoding.
                        Basically - it works when everyone behaves well.

I found that the flac stream stopped just after an hour of playing.
                        Could have been a local networking problem ... but if it happens again just after an hour then I suspect they are limiting things to prevent people using up bandwidth while not really listening.
                        Paul Webster
                        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
                          Maybe it depends on time of day, this is Rock The Casbah. It looks fine to me.
                          well...hmm...might explain why I think it sounds quite good (which I attributed to high bitrate, especially in the days when this was rare), and also why some rockers were a bit irritating, harsh sounding.

Maybe they have a "compress if needed algorithm". Maybe that is triggered by the different gains of their media files. We all have CD's/music files that have varied gain at record. Who knows, I'm not a producer

Makes me wonder if you would find the same thing for say, a RP track. For the songs you captured, they look fine, but....Who has a relationship with Bill to ask him? Michael?

Jim

Comment

well...hmm...might explain why I think it sounds quite good (which I attributed to high bitrate, especially in the days when this was rare), and also why some rockers were a bit irritating, harsh sounding.

Maybe they have a "compress if needed algorithm". Maybe that is triggered by the different gains of their media files. We all have CD's/music files that have varied gain at record. Who knows, I'm not a producer

Makes me wonder if you would find the same thing for say, a RP track. For the songs you captured, they look fine, but....Who has a relationship with Bill to ask him? Michael?

Jim
                            All the currently playing tracks on JB Radio look fine. I'll check again later.

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
                              All the currently playing tracks on JB Radio look fine. I'll check again later.

What are the chances that someone from JB Radio is reading this forum and took action after reading the complaints? (Vanishingly slim, I suspect.)
                              Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

Jim
                                Well this is really odd. They finally played a track I have in my collection, Led Zeppelin - Thank You. The top track is from JB radio Left and Right. The bottom is from my CD. I normalised both waveforms to 0dB peak. They have done something very nasty indeed to it. I even checked remastered versions from Spotify to see if there were any loud remasters on there but no, this is all down to JB Radio. Incredible is one word for it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X