Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK BBC Local Radio Stream problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by rockhopper View Post
    BBC Sounds is not in my list of 3rd-party plug-ins. I have "Show All 3rd-Party Plugsins" set on.
    What version of LMS are you running?

    From https://github.com/expectingtofly/LM...ds_Plugin/wiki:

    You will need an LMS installation of version 7.9.1 or higher (7.9.3 recommended)
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by rockhopper View Post
      BBC Sounds is not in my list of 3rd-party plug-ins. I have "Show All 3rd-Party Plugsins" set on.
      Apologies if I've wasted people's time, just found out I'm running an out of date version of LMS.
      Updated to v8.3.0 and BBC Sounds now listed in plugins.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
        BBC Sounds is under 3rd party plugins.

        Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by rockhopper View Post
        Apologies if I've wasted people's time, just found out I'm running an out of date version of LMS.
        Updated to v8.3.0 and BBC Sounds now listed in plugins.
        All sorted. Now listening to the correct stream via LMS BBC Sounds.

        Thank you very much to all, and especially slartibartfast.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by rockhopper View Post
          All sorted. Now listening to the correct stream via LMS BBC Sounds.

          Thank you very much to all, and especially slartibartfast.
          [emoji106]

          Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
          Bedroom: Radio
          Bathroom: Radio

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by rockhopper View Post
            All sorted. Now listening to the correct stream via LMS BBC Sounds.

            Thank you very much to all, and especially slartibartfast.
            When you get five minutes of sunny weather tomorrow, you know what you have to do

            Click image for larger version

Name:	naughty step.png
Views:	4
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	1575987

            ronnie

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by bpa View Post
              You need to have the PlayHLS plugin installed for the normal Search to find HLS stations (same as BBCSounds), otherwise it will find the Shoutcast MP3 stream.
              That said, I just tested the MP3 URL and in stream metadata says it is BBC Radio Northampton
              Code:
              Input #0, mp3, from 'http://stream.live.vc.bbcmedia.co.uk/bbc_radio_northampton?s=1668071502&e=1668085902&h=6383508c998ff3a080c0ea97ac793746':
                Metadata:
                  icy-br          : 128
                  icy-pub         : 1
                  icy-name        : BBC Radio
                  icy-description : BBC Radio
                  StreamTitle     : BBC Radio Northampton
                Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 128 kb/s
                Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s
                 5.57 M-A:  0.000 fd=   0 aq=   16KB vq=    0KB sq=    0B f=0/0
              I don't see any HLS stream options even though I have PlayHLS 2.9 installed. I am sure I used to see them but not sure which PlayHLS plugin I was using at the time. Do you see HLS options for BBC stations?

              Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
              Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
              Bedroom: Radio
              Bathroom: Radio

              Comment


                #22
                BBC Sounds Plug-in

                Further to the issue I faced in my OP where I was not hearing Radio Northampton. As advised, I now use the BBC Sounds plug-in, which worked fine, initially.
                However, since Friday (18/11) I'm getting a prerecorded announcement saying "Thank you for listening to BBC local radio on the internet. Unfortunately the current program is unavailable. This is due to contractual reasons or a temporary technical fault....".

                I used to get this message whenever the Olympic games were on, and I put it down to whatever 3rd party streaming network I was using nabbed streams to provide feeds for the games.
                I assume that is now what is happening for the football world cup.

                Yet, why is this happening when using the BBC Sounds plug-in? My TV is streaming local radio correctly as usual. LMS is showing the expected programs as per the usual radio schedule.

                Comment


                  #23
                  I think this happens during lots of big sporting events.
                  It is not that the streams have been nabbed - but more that BBC does not have the rights to stream content that might include clips from the sporting event to an international audience ... and perhaps they think you are outside UK or they have a configuration problem.
                  Most of our radio programmes and podcasts are available internationally, but occasionally we need to restrict programmes to within the UK. Usually, it’s sporting events that are affected (have a look at our Why isn't all sports coverage available? page) as rights restrictions prevent us from distributing some programmes outside the UK. Sometimes other types of programmes may also be restricted.


                  Next time it happens, try to listen to the same station via BBC Sounds app (the one from BBC) on your phone and and via BBC web site from a computer on the same LAN as your LMS.
                  Paul Webster
                  Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                  and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                    I think this happens during lots of big sporting events.
                    It is not that the streams have been nabbed - but more that BBC does not have the rights to stream content that might include clips from the sporting event to an international audience ... and perhaps they think you are outside UK or they have a configuration problem.
                    Most of our radio programmes and podcasts are available internationally, but occasionally we need to restrict programmes to within the UK. Usually, it’s sporting events that are affected (have a look at our Why isn't all sports coverage available? page) as rights restrictions prevent us from distributing some programmes outside the UK. Sometimes other types of programmes may also be restricted.


                    Next time it happens, try to listen to the same station via BBC Sounds app (the one from BBC) on your phone and and via BBC web site from a computer on the same LAN as your LMS.
                    Thank you very much for your help.

                    My TV is on the same network as my LMS hosted on my laptop. I checked again this morning and my TV's internet is happily streaming my local radio from BBC Sounds from bbc.co.uk. As is my phone via BBC Sounds app for Android.

                    I followed the link. I do use a VPN. My virtual IP address location is showing as London, England.
                    Regardless, disabling it has had the desired effect on LMS / BBC Sounds / local radio. Result!

                    I remain curious as to why LMS or BBC Sounds plug-in is more sensitive to the VPN, but the main thing is it is now working. Thank you.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      LMS and the BBC Sounds plugin don't know about the VPN.
                      It is BBC that is seeing traffic from the VPN provider and blocking.

                      Are your TV and phone (via WiFi) definitely using the same VPN connection?
                      Paul Webster
                      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                        LMS and the BBC Sounds plugin don't know about the VPN.
                        It is BBC that is seeing traffic from the VPN provider and blocking.

                        Are your TV and phone (via WiFi) definitely using the same VPN connection?
                        It could easily be that the official Apps are connecting to a different CDN which is unaware of the VPN (at the moment)
                        Jim
                        https://jukeradio.double6.net


                        VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                        Dining Room SB Radio
                        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                          LMS and the BBC Sounds plugin don't know about the VPN.
                          It is BBC that is seeing traffic from the VPN provider and blocking.

                          Are your TV and phone (via WiFi) definitely using the same VPN connection?
                          Apologies for the delayed reply. Yes, all my devices are on the same network from my Virgin Media Hub.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            But where is the VPN connection initiated from and is it transparently applied for all devices on the network?

                            If your TV has a web browser then you can access a site that shows the IP address of the visitor to verify that it is seen as a VPN address.
                            Paul Webster
                            Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                            and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                              But where is the VPN connection initiated from and is it transparently applied for all devices on the network?

                              If your TV has a web browser then you can access a site that shows the IP address of the visitor to verify that it is seen as a VPN address.
                              Dear oh dear, I must be getting old or going senile!
                              I use AVG VPN s/w, installed on my laptop which also hosts my LMS. You have made me realise my TV's browser won't be included, nor will my phone!
                              Very sorry and thank you for your patience.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I documented the strange behaviour of the BBC local radio mp3 streams over the past few weeks.
                                They were either down or playing the wrong station:
                                Please see https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ment_101878339

                                BBC Radio Berkshire silent.
                                BBC Radio Derby (mistakenly said BBC Leeds before) airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Devon airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Foyle airing BBC Radio Lancashire.
                                BBC Radio Gloucestershire airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Kent silent.
                                BBC Radio Lincolnshire airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Norfolk airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Nottingham airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Sheffield airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Solent for Dorset airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Somerset airing BBC Surrey.
                                BBC Radio Suffolk airing timeshifted BBC Radio Tees.
                                BBC Radio Surrey airing timeshifted BBC Radio Merseyside.
                                BBC Radio Wiltshire airing BBC Surrey.
                                It all seems to be fine again now.
                                Last edited by vinnielo; 2022-12-01, 23:32.
                                RadioFeeds UK & Ireland.. an up-to-date radio directory for your Squeezebox/Transporter/UE Smart Radio.. available from the mysqueezebox.com App Gallery.
                                Bonus: our RadioFeeds LMS plugin also lists AAC and the BBC's high-quality HLS streams on top of what's available in our MSB app.
                                Now with over 1000 registered users, it's available for Logitech Media Server (and Squeezebox Server, SqueezeCenter and SlimServer).
                                Click for more info: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/squeeze

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X