• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

> If we install now, after executing manually these codesign statements,
    > the version 8.3.1 would that be ok ? Are there going to be some
    > conflicts ?

That's totally fine. The files are being replaced on each update.
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

PLEASE NOTE: In order to run LMS on macOS 13 Ventura you MUST run LMS 8.3.

Yes, it seems to be working. Though some updated prefpane would be welcome...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirm­foto 2022-10-24 um 21.58.32.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1575876
    Last edited by mherger; 2022-10-25, 08:33.
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Comment

Ventura promptly broke the latest 8.2 build on our system.

Is 8.3 more ‘Ventura ready’ than 8.2? Should I upgrade to 8.3?

Otherwise, I will have to do an OS rollback via TimeMachine to try and get LMS working again.

LMS is more important around here.

UPDATE: We have an Intel Mac. Running the 'Legacy' version of 8.3 (no Apple Silicon support) did not work. But running the full MacOS version of LMS 8.3 did work.

So we are now riding the LMS 8.3 bus.
      Last edited by sgmlaw; 2022-10-24, 22:51.

Comment

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

> Ventura promptly broke the latest 8.2 build on our system.

In what way? Did you get any error message?

> Is 8.3 more ‘Ventura ready’ than 8.2? Should I upgrade to 8.3?

The big difference between 8.3 and 8.2 is that the former now comes with
        its own Perl environment. It's no longer relying on Apple's Perl. It
        seems the old Perl was still around. But I haven't tried using it yet.

So yes, 8.3 might be better prepared for Ventura.
        Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mherger View Post
          > Ventura promptly broke the latest 8.2 build on our system.

In what way? Did you get any error message?

> Is 8.3 more ‘Ventura ready’ than 8.2? Should I upgrade to 8.3?

The big difference between 8.3 and 8.2 is that the former now comes with
          its own Perl environment. It's no longer relying on Apple's Perl. It
          seems the old Perl was still around. But I haven't tried using it yet.

So yes, 8.3 might be better prepared for Ventura.

Once Ventura was installed, the LMS 8.2 server completely refused to start.

I didn't dive into the server logs to see what was hanging it up. It was easier to just make the move to 8.3.

Installing 8.3 took seconds, and once I installed the right version, it started right up. It is playing music as I type this.

My only surprise was that the Legacy version did not work on our Intel Mac. It required the full version with Apple Silicon support to work ... even on an Intel.

I imagine 8.3 is mature enough by this point to be de facto "stable".

I've had much rougher MacOS/LMS upgrades than this one. So all things considered, this one was smooth. And LMS 8.3 was ready for Ventura.

Comment

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

> Installing 8.3 took seconds, and once I installed the right version, it
            > started right up. It is playing music as I type this.

That's great!

> My only surprise was that the Legacy version did not work on our Intel
            > Mac. It required the full version with Apple Silicon support to work
            > ... even on an Intel.

That probably means that the system Perl we were using is no longer
            working. Just checked again, and indeed: that old Perl 5.18 is gone.

> I imagine 8.3 is mature enough by this point to be de facto "stable".

Yeah, it's probably time to release 8.3 "officially".
            Michael

Comment

Can't Connect

I installed Ventura on a 2020 MacMini M1 yesterday. I'm running the latest build of 8.3 (from Sept. 27). Prior to Ventura, LMS worked fine. Now, even though the server appears to be running, I cannot connect my players.

LMS starts up, then gives a warning about perl accepting incoming connections. I click on allow, but I am unable to connect to the server from any devices on my network. Perl shows up in the firewall settings as allowing incoming connections and is linked to the perl in the LMS Preference Pane folder. Perl is also given full disk access in the privacy and security settings.

Any ideas on what is going on? I'm not sure where to start looking for a solution.

Thanks.

Comment

Solved (at least for time being)

After rebooting again (I had already done so a couple of times previously) now I can connect.

Comment

After installing the LMS 8.3. it's working. Thank you.

Comment

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

> After installing the LMS 8.3. it's working. Thank you.

Great! Intel or Apple?

And do you get the "fixed" icon in the PrefPane, or still the broken one
                    shown in my screenshot?
                    Michael

Comment

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

Originally posted by mherger View Post
                      > After installing the LMS 8.3. it's working. Thank you.

Great! Intel or Apple?

And do you get the "fixed" icon in the PrefPane, or still the broken one
                      shown in my screenshot?
                      I'm still having issues since the upgrade. Running on a MacMini 2020 with M1 chip.

I have the start on login option selected. On reboot, the server runs, but there is a question on whether to allow perl to accept network connections. I select yes. Then, when I try to play a track on the server, I get a request to allow access to the folder with the track.

Once I do that, everything works normally. However, if I stop the server and try to start it again, it won't start. At that point, rebooting the machine seems to be the only option.

And in answer to the question about the icon in the PrefPane, the broken one is what I'm seeing.

Comment

LMS 8.3 on macOS Ventura

> I'm still having issues since the upgrade. Running on a MacMini 2020
                        > with M1 chip.

Same here.

> I have the start on login option selected. On reboot, the server runs,
                        > but there is a question on whether to allow perl to accept network
                        > connections. I select yes. Then, when I try to play a track on the
                        > server, I get a request to allow access to the folder with the track.

Did you grant LMS full disk access as outlined in many threads here?
                        Please note that the binary might have changed with the upgrade, as LMS
                        is no longer using the built-in Perl. The binary would usually be

/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/perl/bin/perl

> Once I do that, everything works normally. However, if I stop the server
                        > and try to start it again, it won't start. At that point, rebooting the
                        > machine seems to be the only option.

What if you tried to run the following in a terminal:

/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl

(again assuming you installed in the default folder)

Michael

Comment

Where can I download LMS 8.3 for Mac OS 13 Ventura?

I cannot find a site where to download LMS 8.3 for Mac OS Ventura!
                          Please help!

Comment

Originally posted by fsoares View Post
                            I cannot find a site where to download LMS 8.3 for Mac OS Ventura!
                            Paul Webster
                            Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                            and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Players will not connect

I upgraded my iMac (with the silicon chip) to Ventura last week and, as with most recent Mac OS upgrades, LMS and my players will not work without putzing around after installing the upgrade. Upgrading to LMS 8.3 did not change the situation.

My Squeezebox is a Duet, with 2 Squeezebox receiver players and several other players (2 Apple TVs, my AVR receiver) have been added to the 2 Squeezebox receivers. I run the Duet in hybrid mode, with LMS on my Mac connected to one receiver (feeding into my AVR) with ethernet cable and the other receiver being connected via wall plug ethernet. The music library on the Mac is contained in an external hard drive connected to the Mac.

After installing 8.3 and granting it full disk access and getting around the Mac firewall, LMS on the Mac sees the non-Squeezebox players, but not the Squeezebox receivers. LMS will not play through to these receivers, however, showing my library only on the Mac. LMS "plays" on the Mac, but no sound emanates from the Mac's speakers.

I have attempted to access one of the Squeezebox receivers via the Duet controller and I can get it connected via ethernet, and it sees my library on my Mac, but it cannot connect to the library.

The preference pane Michael shows above seems substantively the same as mine.

Trying to make things work through the terminal, as Michael suggests, failed.

I cannot successfully access the scanner log, apparently.

Would appreciate any insight people would care to offer regarding resolving this problem I am a retired lawyer, not a tech guy.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X