Can't connect to my picore install all of a sudden?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gizmo1990
    • Jun 2018

Can't connect to my picore install all of a sudden?

I seem to have messed something up with my install but can't understand what's going on.

I tried installing the BBC sounds app plugin on my Squeezebox classic but when it came to finding where to enter my login details I ended up being caught in a loop on the login to the squeezebox account setting. So I turned the player off and tried again this time quickly shuttling past the squeezebox login and just going to network setup. However I then couldn't log into the server. I entered the ip address 10.0.0.23 into a browser to check that picore was running and found that I couldn't connect. So I power cycled my pi zero2. I still can't connect though! I've run advanced ip scanner and it sees Slim Devices Inc running on 10.0.0.23 so I don't get it?

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to connect to my player now?

Any help really appreciated.
  • slartibartfast
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by gizmo1990
    I seem to have messed something up with my install but can't understand what's going on.

I tried installing the BBC sounds app plugin on my Squeezebox classic but when it came to finding where to enter my login details I ended up being caught in a loop on the login to the squeezebox account setting. So I turned the player off and tried again this time quickly shuttling past the squeezebox login and just going to network setup. However I then couldn't log into the server. I entered the ip address 10.0.0.23 into a browser to check that picore was running and found that I couldn't connect. So I power cycled my pi zero2. I still can't connect though! I've run advanced ip scanner and it sees Slim Devices Inc running on 10.0.0.23 so I don't get it?

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to connect to my player now?

Any help really appreciated.
    Any clues in this thread when you had a similar issue [emoji3].

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• gizmo1990
      • Jun 2018

@slartibartfast Thanks for the reply. Yep, I went there first! Unfortunately the trick I came up with there doesn't seem to apply here. It didn't make any sense to begin with really. IP scanner is showing it fine but with no 2nd drop down heading under 'pcp.home' called 'HTTP, pCP this time for me.

I've connected the pi up to a monitor and picoreplayer seems to be loading fine. It says 'Finished loading picoreplayer v8.1.0 startup' and that 10.0.0.23 is what I should enter.

I can't understand why I shouldn't be able to connect to it now?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• slartibartfast
        • Jan 2010

@slartibartfast Thanks for the reply. Yep, I went there first! Unfortunately the trick I came up with there doesn't seem to apply here. It didn't make any sense to begin with really. IP scanner is showing it fine but with no 2nd drop down heading under 'pcp.home' called 'HTTP, pCP this time for me.

I've connected the pi up to a monitor and picoreplayer seems to be loading fine. It says 'Finished loading picoreplayer v8.1.0 startup' and that 10.0.0.23 is what I should enter.

I can't understand why I shouldn't be able to connect to it now?

Does anyone have any ideas?
        Sometimes IP scanners show cached results. Did you refresh it?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
        Bedroom: Radio
        Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• gizmo1990
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by slartibartfast
          Sometimes IP scanners show cached results. Did you refresh it?
          Yes it's still showing up as alive and on 10.0.0.23. Plus I'm getting boot up text (with it saying that entering 10.0.0.23 will get me to the web interface) as I've got the pi connected to a monitor.

Comment

• castalla
            • Feb 2008

Yes it's still showing up as alive and on 10.0.0.23. Plus I'm getting boot up text (with it saying that entering 10.0.0.23 will get me to the web interface) as I've got the pi connected to a monitor.
            So, is the device with the browser on the same 10.0.0.n network?
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• gizmo1990
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by castalla
              So, is the device with the browser on the same 10.0.0.n network?
              Yep, my desktop pc showing up as 10.0.0.8

I've tried connecting via my macbook and my phone too and they both report unable to connect.

Comment

• strebor56
                • Jun 2016

You should be able to login locally as the tc user and ping your router...S

Comment

• gizmo1990
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by strebor56
                  You should be able to login locally as the tc user and ping your router...S
                  You mean via the console? Could you detail exactly how to do that?

I have tried doing it with advanced ip scanner on my PC via ip scanners TOOLS/PING command and I get a ping return fine. That's the same thing isn't it? It keeps repeating fine saying:
                  Reply from 10.0.0.23: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Comment

• strebor56
                    • Jun 2016

Yes, login as tc and pw piCore or whatever you changed it to, then
                    ping 10.0.0.1 or whatever is your default gateway

If you can ping both ways then it's likely that the browse has it's 'panties in a wad' or the web server is hosed.
                    or some such abstruse notwork thing.
                    ..S

Comment

• gizmo1990
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by strebor56
                      Yes, login as tc and pw piCore or whatever you changed it to, then
                      ping 10.0.0.1 or whatever is your default gateway

If you can ping both ways then it's likely that the browse has it's 'panties in a wad' or the web server is hosed.
                      or some such abstruse notwork thing.
                      ..S
                      Thanks, just run it. It seems to ping fine but with 85% packet loss.

This is really annoying, can't think what I've done to cause this. Wish I'd never tried to install that plugin now!

If I have to do another install of picore will I be able to just plug my usb stick in once it's working and it will just re-read my music files?

Comment

• Paul Webster
                        • Apr 2005

Just to double-check ...

The system that you cannot reliably ping is where your LMS is installed.

If you access the console you can stop LMS (by stopping the perl process that is running it).

You can then check to see if the networking situation improves.

If it does then at least there is somewhere to research further.
                        For example - something could be stealing all of the CPU and the system is unable to respond to pings etc in a timely fashion.

Then you could remove the BBCSounds plugin from the file system and restart LMS.

Then you could see if things are back to normal.

It does seem unlikely though.
                        Paul Webster
                        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• gizmo1990
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                          Just to double-check ...

The system that you cannot reliably ping is where your LMS is installed.

If you access the console you can stop LMS (by stopping the perl process that is running it).

You can then check to see if the networking situation improves.

If it does then at least there is somewhere to research further.
                          For example - something could be stealing all of the CPU and the system is unable to respond to pings etc in a timely fashion.

Then you could remove the BBCSounds plugin from the file system and restart LMS.

Then you could see if things are back to normal.

It does seem unlikely though.
                          Thanks Paul. I can ping my zero from my pc via a command box but it only sends 3 pings before stopping and giving me stats, which report 0 packet loss

When I ping my modem/router from my zero via the console I get sporadic pings with ctrl+c bringing up stats of 80%+ packet loss.

Could you tell me how I stop LMS? I'm not too familiar with linux commands and a search isn't bringing anything up.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                            • Apr 2005

I don't remember if "killall" is on pCP installations ... so

ps -ef | grep perl
                            will output something like
                            17431 tc 22:48 {slimserver.pl} /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user tc --group staff
                            17687 tc 0:00 grep perl

rake the first number with the slimserver.pl on it ... in this case 17431 but your will be different and type

sudo kill -5 17431
                            but replace that number with yours.
                            I suspect "-5" will be enough ... if not then try -9
                            Do
                            ps -ef | grep perl
                            again and you should see the slimserver.pl has gone.
                            Paul Webster
                            Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                            and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• gizmo1990
                              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Paul Webster
                              I don't remember if "killall" is on pCP installations ... so

ps -ef | grep perl
                              will output something like
                              17431 tc 22:48 {slimserver.pl} /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user tc --group staff
                              17687 tc 0:00 grep perl

rake the first number with the slimserver.pl on it ... in this case 17431 but your will be different and type

sudo kill -5 17431
                              but replace that number with yours.
                              I suspect "-5" will be enough ... if not then try -9
                              Do
                              ps -ef | grep perl
                              again and you should see the slimserver.pl has gone.
                              Thanks a lot for that Paul. I've tried it and I'm still getting a high packet loss, 86%. Any idea what this means? I've not changed anything network or router wise and my setup was working pretty flawlessly (very occasional pauses) up to attempting to install the plugin.

I get the feeling I'm looking at a reinstall..

Comment

Working...