Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions about piCorePlayer (8.2.0.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about piCorePlayer (8.2.0.)

Hello, this forum is very extensive, so I will ask directly, if this has been addressed somewhere, I apologize, I installed your awesome piCorePlayer (8.2.0.) , and I would like to ask a few things.
    I have the installation on a raspberry pi 3 b+ (SD card) and an external SSD drive is connected where the data is stored.
    This setup will serve as a server, I have players from Logitech.
    I would like to connect the whole thing to a UPS backup.

Is there somewhere in the system the possibility of automatic shutdown when the UPS value is low?

Is it possible to set the disk to sleep somewhere (if I used a classic 2.5ยจ HDD)?

Excuse my english, google translate :-)
    Thank you for the advice.
    Jack

On the tweaks page, there is the ability to configure shutdown based on a GPIO pin.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

Thanks for the advice and can you please guide me to some help on how to do this?
      It is not clear to me what I should plug in where.

EDIT :

One of the solutions can be found here:
      In this guide, I'll teach you how to build your own Raspberry Pi UPS, or interruptible power supply, using some simple hardware and any Raspberry Pi.

Given the consumption of such an undemanding device, it probably makes no sense to solve something on the system side, according to the estimate, my UPS should keep the raspberry running for several tens of hours.

And please, what about putting the classic HDD disk to sleep, is there somewhere in the system this function so that the disk does not keep spinning when the device is not in use?
      Last edited by joys_33; 2022-11-29, 19:10.

Comment

Originally posted by joys_33 View Post
        ....And please, what about putting the classic HDD disk to sleep, is there somewhere in the system this function so that the disk does not keep spinning when the device is not in use?
        Isn't this usually a setting in the external drive's firmware, rather than on the computer?

Searching for the opposite of what you want, I found this page, mostly more than ten years old, but with one suggestion from last year:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-from-sleeping

What I think I understand from that is that hdparm might make it possible for you to change the drive's settings. hdparm is available in piCorePlayer extensions.

Another suggestion in that thread was to attach the drive to a Windows computer and change the settings there.

I should probably mention that I also found articles that suggested that drives may be designed to spin constantly, in which case spinning down when not in use may actually shorten the drive's lifespan.

My own experience when using a usb hdd for the LMS library was that the drive would spin down after about five minutes of inactivity. It would then take about a minute to spin up again, causing problems if LMS had buffered a long track. I had to prevent spin down while LMS was playing.
        Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info, I'm using an SSD for now.

Comment

If your thinking of buying a Hard Drive i normally go for Seagate drives as they have a bit of software (think its called Seagate dashboard) which before you use plug into your PC start the software and it lets you set a sleep timer for the drive which gets written to the hard drives memory so when you use on any other device ie Raspberry Pi or other it will go into sleep mode

Comment

Originally posted by RobbH View Post
              Isn't this usually a setting in the external drive's firmware, rather than on the computer?

Searching for the opposite of what you want, I found this page, mostly more than ten years old, but with one suggestion from last year:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-from-sleeping

What I think I understand from that is that hdparm might make it possible for you to change the drive's settings. hdparm is available in piCorePlayer extensions.

Another suggestion in that thread was to attach the drive to a Windows computer and change the settings there.

I should probably mention that I also found articles that suggested that drives may be designed to spin constantly, in which case spinning down when not in use may actually shorten the drive's lifespan.

My own experience when using a usb hdd for the LMS library was that the drive would spin down after about five minutes of inactivity. It would then take about a minute to spin up again, causing problems if LMS had buffered a long track. I had to prevent spin down while LMS was playing.
              The only issue I had which was caused by my HDD spinning down after a few minutes, was artwork going out of sync if a couple of consecutive Spotify tracks appeared in a Random playlist. The HDD could sleep during the Spotify tracks but I have never seen the HDD sleep while playing local tracks of any length.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
              Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
              Bedroom: Radio
              Bathroom: Radio

Comment

I made a change to hd-idle recently in an attempt to get my Seagate drive to spin down.
                Not for LMS/Player installation - but applies in set-up where there is a 64-bit OS but 32-bit userspace.
                Paul Webster
                Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
                  The only issue I had which was caused by my HDD spinning down after a few minutes, was artwork going out of sync if a couple of consecutive Spotify tracks appeared in a Random playlist. The HDD could sleep during the Spotify tracks but I have never seen the HDD sleep while playing local tracks of any length.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                  Yes, I remember discussions about that in the past. It's been long enough that I can't be absolutely certain, but I THINK I was having issues with LMS stalling when it was time to start a new track, because the drive had spun down. That's why I used to a script to prevent spin down whenever music was playing. You pointed out at the time that it would make more sense to only prevent spin down if LOCAL tracks were playing.
                  Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

Working...
                  X