Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IP Addresses PiCore

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    IP Addresses PiCore

    Hi - This is quite trivial I know, but I thought I'd ask and see if there is a simple solution. I'm running LMS 8.3.0 on PiCore 8.1.0. This is on 24x7. Attachment to my router is wireless and wired is not convenient.

    For some reason The IP address of piCore is getting changed by my router. This means that favourites on my PC for the pcP main page and access to the server, change. I also have to fine tune some of the settings in Material which are reset to the defaults. It's happened only 2 or 3 times but all in the last few months and is a minor irritation. Prior to that the IP address never changed. This felt like a router issue so my first step was to make some changes there via a setting "Always use this IP address:" .When I tried that it caused more problems with other address conflicts. The advice I was given was that I should set a static address outside the DHCP range on PiCore not in the router. I found the static address setting in PiCore but it gives a strong warning to only use it on a wired connection. I followed this advice and took no action

    I'm tempted to factory reset the router which is a bit brutal. So I thought I'd run it all past all of you helpful people first.

    Any advice?
    Nicholas

    RPi4 / piCorePlayer v8.1.0 /Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0/ Hifiberry Digi+
    3 Chromecast (2 mini x1 Chromecast Audio) 2 UPNP devices
    also use a Gramofon off platform

    #2
    Originally posted by The Groundsman View Post
    Hi - This is quite trivial I know, but I thought I'd ask and see if there is a simple solution. I'm running LMS 8.3.0 on PiCore 8.1.0. This is on 24x7. Attachment to my router is wireless and wired is not convenient.

    For some reason The IP address of piCore is getting changed by my router. This means that favourites on my PC for the pcP main page and access to the server, change. I also have to fine tune some of the settings in Material which are reset to the defaults. It's happened only 2 or 3 times but all in the last few months and is a minor irritation. Prior to that the IP address never changed. This felt like a router issue so my first step was to make some changes there via a setting "Always use this IP address:" .When I tried that it caused more problems with other address conflicts. The advice I was given was that I should set a static address outside the DHCP range on PiCore not in the router. I found the static address setting in PiCore but it gives a strong warning to only use it on a wired connection. I followed this advice and took no action

    I'm tempted to factory reset the router which is a bit brutal. So I thought I'd run it all past all of you helpful people first.

    Any advice?
    Reserving an IP address on your router should be all that is necessary. Which router are you using?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
      Reserving an IP address on your router should be all that is necessary. Which router are you using?

      Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      Thanks for helping.

      I use a BT Hub 6 on Plusnet. I tried the always use this IP address but this then caused conflicts with other DHCP assigned ones. I couldnt find a setting for an address outside the DHCP range
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ip .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1576014
      Nicholas

      RPi4 / piCorePlayer v8.1.0 /Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0/ Hifiberry Digi+
      3 Chromecast (2 mini x1 Chromecast Audio) 2 UPNP devices
      also use a Gramofon off platform

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by The Groundsman View Post
        Hi - This is quite trivial I know, but I thought I'd ask and see if there is a simple solution. I'm running LMS 8.3.0 on PiCore 8.1.0. This is on 24x7. Attachment to my router is wireless and wired is not convenient.

        For some reason The IP address of piCore is getting changed by my router. This means that favourites on my PC for the pcP main page and access to the server, change. I also have to fine tune some of the settings in Material which are reset to the defaults. It's happened only 2 or 3 times but all in the last few months and is a minor irritation. Prior to that the IP address never changed. This felt like a router issue so my first step was to make some changes there via a setting "Always use this IP address:" .When I tried that it caused more problems with other address conflicts. The advice I was given was that I should set a static address outside the DHCP range on PiCore not in the router. I found the static address setting in PiCore but it gives a strong warning to only use it on a wired connection. I followed this advice and took no action

        I'm tempted to factory reset the router which is a bit brutal. So I thought I'd run it all past all of you helpful people first.

        Any advice?
        Have you tried addressing the Pi by http://picore.local ?
        It usually works (but not always) and if it does it will survive an IP address change

        Edit
        It might be http://pcp.local
        Last edited by d6jg; 2022-11-15, 13:15.
        Jim
        https://jukeradio.double6.net


        VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
        Dining Room SB Radio
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

        Comment


          #5
          As per Jim's reply

          I would also consider restricting that pi to the 2.4GHz band.

          And maybe research a better wireless dongle, that is more Linux friendly. There is a thread somewhere here ......?

          Edit: check with the pCP devs before any purchase though

          ronnie
          Last edited by Man in a van; 2022-11-15, 13:30.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by The Groundsman View Post
            Thanks for helping.

            I use a BT Hub 6 on Plusnet. I tried the always use this IP address but this then caused conflicts with other DHCP assigned ones. I couldnt find a setting for an address outside the DHCP range
            [ATTACH]39121[/ATTACH]
            The router gives out all IP addresses and shouldn't give out conflicting ones. Sorry I don't know anything about BT routers but surely the router wouldn't allocate the same address to more than one device.

            Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
            Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
            Bedroom: Radio
            Bathroom: Radio

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks

              http://pcp.local worked for me in windows but not on an android phone

              I only connect at 2.4Gh.

              @Slartibartfast - I also assumed that with DHCP allocated addresses the router would stop the same address being used twice but I found that not to be the case, even after a restart it was reporting 2 devices for the same address. I tried to use the "always use this ip address" and overtyped the address with one outside the DHCP range but while it saved it in the router it didnt seem to take effect.

              All seems to be more trouble than its worth tbh. Thanks for helping though
              Nicholas

              RPi4 / piCorePlayer v8.1.0 /Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0/ Hifiberry Digi+
              3 Chromecast (2 mini x1 Chromecast Audio) 2 UPNP devices
              also use a Gramofon off platform

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by The Groundsman View Post
                For some reason The IP address of piCore is getting changed by my router. This means that favourites on my PC for the pcP main page and access to the server, change. I also have to fine tune some of the settings in Material which are reset to the defaults. It's happened only 2 or 3 times but all in the last few months and is a minor irritation. Prior to that the IP address never changed.
                I have seen the occasional change of IP address of my pcp LMS server you describe. It usually came from a power down period (i.e. if I travel I shut everything down). I also hated updating all of my bookmarks, so I eventually (with help from d6jg - Jim) reserved an ip address is the upper end of the range on my Asus router. Jim also provided good reasons for doing it in the router (maybe I can find the post). Problem solved.

                I was curious, so I looked into doing this on your router and it appears that the function either isn't working (as of 2021) or elusive: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devic...2/td-p/2120364
                In the thread factory reset is suggested, but the majority of the discussion seems to be around "it should work but doesn't". There seems to be the opinion that this is more of a plug and play vs customizable device. But, I no nothing about it other than what I read.

                Jim

                Comment


                  #9
                  The reasons
                  DHCP reservation v fixed
                  When using WiFi, connection occurs in two phases 1. The SSID connection and 2. IP address from router. 2 can only happen if 1 has worked.
                  If you attempt to fix an IP address at device level for something that connects over WiFi and it doesn’t work you have a lot of troubleshooting to do.
                  The other reason is that it makes things like changing DNS servers dead easy.

                  I’m afraid BT Hub is worth exactly what you paid for it!
                  Jim
                  https://jukeradio.double6.net


                  VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                  Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                  Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                  Dining Room SB Radio
                  Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                  Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                  Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by The Groundsman View Post
                    Thanks

                    http://pcp.local worked for me in windows but not on an android phone

                    I only connect at 2.4Gh.

                    @Slartibartfast - I also assumed that with DHCP allocated addresses the router would stop the same address being used twice but I found that not to be the case, even after a restart it was reporting 2 devices for the same address. I tried to use the "always use this ip address" and overtyped the address with one outside the DHCP range but while it saved it in the router it didnt seem to take effect.

                    All seems to be more trouble than its worth tbh. Thanks for helping though
                    What if you allocate a unique address for all devices [emoji3]

                    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                    Bedroom: Radio
                    Bathroom: Radio

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by The Groundsman View Post
                      .
                      I tried to use the "always use this ip address" and overtyped the address with one outside the DHCP range but while it saved it in the router it didnt seem to take effect.

                      All seems to be more trouble than its worth tbh. Thanks for helping though
                      That's the behavior that was reported on the thread I posted, so it appears nothing has changed in a year or two.

                      Are you devoted to your router? A new one is not that expensive. Also, you could get a separate inexpensive router for you sb family (2 networks)

                      Jim

                      <edit - in that thread, some suggested it might work after a factory reset to the router>

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Redrum View Post
                        That's the behavior that was reported on the thread I posted, so it appears nothing has changed in a year or two.

                        Are you devoted to your router? A new one is not that expensive. Also, you could get a separate inexpensive router for you sb family (2 networks)

                        Jim

                        <edit - in that thread, some suggested it might work after a factory reset to the router>
                        I know it sounds bizarre but this BT Hub is miles better than the one I got "free" from my isp so in a funny sort of way I am quite devoted. You are right - it cost me nothing as it was a gift from my dear daughter.

                        Like I said at the start of the thread it's only a very minor inconvenience and the marvellous material skin discovers the server wherever the router decides to put it. Hopefully after all my tinkering it will settle down. I did consider extending the default lease time from 1 day to something longer as a bit of a work around. Which is a bit like increasing the timeout to hide software errors - bad practice - but it might help.

                        Thanks again for taking the trouble. This is such a great and helpful community.
                        Nicholas

                        RPi4 / piCorePlayer v8.1.0 /Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0/ Hifiberry Digi+
                        3 Chromecast (2 mini x1 Chromecast Audio) 2 UPNP devices
                        also use a Gramofon off platform

                        Comment


                          #13
                          It's not recommended, but maybe lock the IP address on the piCore itself using the piCoremenu instead of the router?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hi The Groundsman,

                            Have you found the IP range for DHCP? You really need to know this information, before setting fixed IP addresses. One duplicated IP address will cause network havoc.

                            You should check your IP reservation time. If that has been set low, IP addresses will change more often.

                            It is best policy to set static IPs at your router.

                            For debugging squeezelite IP addresses, there is [Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs] > "squeezelite ip"

                            regards
                            Greg

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Greg Erskine View Post
                              Hi The Groundsman,

                              Have you found the IP range for DHCP? You really need to know this information, before setting fixed IP addresses. One duplicated IP address will cause network havoc.

                              You should check your IP reservation time. If that has been set low, IP addresses will change more often.

                              It is best policy to set static IPs at your router.

                              For debugging squeezelite IP addresses, there is [Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs] > "squeezelite ip"

                              regards
                              Greg
                              Thanks.

                              Yes I know the DHCP range but it seems like my router is designed to limit too much tinkering, so it works well for the average user. I think I must have pushed it too hard and as a result I ended up with the "Network Havoc" you are cautioning against.

                              Reservation is set for 1 day but I'm tempted to up that. The maximum allowed is 21 days. I think that is as much as I can do without buying a more flexible router.
                              Nicholas

                              RPi4 / piCorePlayer v8.1.0 /Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0/ Hifiberry Digi+
                              3 Chromecast (2 mini x1 Chromecast Audio) 2 UPNP devices
                              also use a Gramofon off platform

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X