Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LInux client (controller) currently maintained

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by kidstypike View Post
    A Raspberry pi is a Linux computer, it isn't necessarily a player only.

    Jivelite is a standalone Squeezebox controller. It does not run in a web browser.
    But there does not appear to be a jivelite build that's compatible with brainchild's (presumably X86) Linux computer. Maybe squeezeplay would be a better option?


    https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezeplay/linux/
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

    Comment


      #17
      just create a captive browser session that runs material only, its way netter anyway unless you want VU, metres
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 on Allo Digi One Signature (Lounge)
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry Digi+ Material running on PI for control (Office)
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 with pi official touchscreen and Hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
      Radio (Bedroom)
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Allo BOSS DAC (Bedroom)
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+. Squeezelite=x for control (Garage)
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)
      PiCorePlayer 8.2 with Hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)

      LMS 8.3 on unRaid 6.11.5 Server (Seneca HDS)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by RobbH View Post
        But there does not appear to be a jivelite build that's compatible with brainchild's (presumably X86) Linux computer.
        There may be a package available for the distro he's running, but unless I missed it, he hasn't provided that info.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by sodface View Post
          There may be a package available for the distro he's running, but unless I missed it, he hasn't provided that info.
          I am running Linux Mint 21 on an x86 laptop.

          What I have come to understand is that Jivelite is targeted for a player device such as a RPi running piCorePlayer, and that Squeeze Player is a desktop application that functions as a player for a media server, not a controller for an external player.

          It seems that my information is not consistent with the knowledge being offered on this forum, though it has seemed to be in some sense confirmed by the sparse, remaining documentation. It has further seemed that these packages are not well maintained at the moment, which makes me hesitant about choosing to adopt them.

          The three-year-old readme file for Squeeze Play opens as follows:

          Debian packages for squeezeplay x86_64 and i386 are no longer available, you'll need to use the tarballs going forward.
          Meanwhile, I have not found a build of Jivelite available for download targeted for any device other than a RPi. To repeat, the purpose of my inquiry is to determine whether there is a native application for Linux Mint 21 (x86 architecture) for controlling a network player.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by brainchild View Post
            I am running Linux Mint 21 on an x86 laptop.

            What I have come to understand is that Jivelite is targeted for a player device such as a RPi running piCorePlayer, and that Squeeze Player is a desktop application that functions as a player for a media server, not a controller for an external player.

            It seems that my information is not consistent with the knowledge being offered on this forum, though it has seemed to be in some sense confirmed by the sparse, remaining documentation. It has further seemed that these packages are not well maintained at the moment, which makes me hesitant about choosing to adopt them.

            The three-year-old readme file for Squeeze Play opens as follows:



            Meanwhile, I have not found a build of Jivelite available for download targeted for any device other than a RPi. To repeat, the purpose of my inquiry is to determine whether there is a native application for Linux Mint 21 (x86 architecture) for controlling a network player.
            Good luck finding that for which you seek, with an attitude like yours you'll need it.
            Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

            Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
            Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
            Bedroom - Echo Show 8

            Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by kidstypike View Post
              Good luck finding that for which you seek, with an attitude like yours you'll need it.
              I am only trying to understand what is currently available. I have preferences and constraints just as everyone else. There is no need for you to invoke a judgmental tone.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by brainchild View Post
                I am running Linux Mint 21 on an x86 laptop.
                I'm a bit slow sometimes, but why can you not use the LMS web interface ?

                And I thought Linux Mint has been x64 only, since 20

                As I said, I'm sometimes a bit slow

                ronnie

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Man in a van View Post
                  I'm a bit slow sometimes, but why can you not use the LMS web interface ?
                  Of course I can use it. I am just asking whether a native alternative is available, for Linux, as there has been for Windows and MacOS, that remains well maintained and easy to install.

                  Originally posted by Man in a van View Post
                  And I thought Linux Mint has been x64 only, since 20
                  Yes. I was just being completely thorough, in light on various comments, to ensure everyone understood each other.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by brainchild View Post
                    Of course I can use it. I am just asking whether a native alternative is available, for Linux, as there has been for Windows and MacOS, that remains well maintained and easy to install.



                    Yes. I was just being completely thorough, in light on various comments, to ensure everyone understood each other.
                    I suggest that you accept defeat and accept that there isn't what you are looking for. Just use one of the workarounds which people have described.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                    Comment


                      #25
                      hi brainchild,

                      Like Ronnie, I am a bit slow as well.

                      As Squeeze/LMS is a very mature product it has hundreds (thousands?) of options, with lots of confusing names. LMS has had 3 or 4 different names.

                      For control on any computer with a browser I would use the LMS GUI with the "material" skin plugin.

                      Jivelite on all the devices I use, can control any player on the network, not just the one it is loaded on.

                      Generally, whatever you can think of has probably been done, and probably over 10 years ago.

                      regards
                      Greg

                      Comment


                        #26
                        The Material Skin is excellent, can be made to "look and feel" just like a native Linux app easily enough. I use it on my ChromeBox and on my iPhone most every day to control any/all of my squeezelite endpoints. I don't really see a need for a native app, at all. YMMV.
                        piTouchâ„¢ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          The O2 Joggler is X86 running Linux.
                          The source code for Jivelite is available.
                          There is a lengthy thread about building Jivelite for Joggler.
                          This might be a good starting point


                          As stated in a few posts in this tread - Jivelite is a controller (not a player ... SqueezePlay is a player with, in essence, Jivelite built in as the front end).

                          Jivelite can be used to control any player on any system that is connected to LMS.

                          There are examples here of Jivelite on Alpine Linux.
                          Paul Webster
                          Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                          and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Greg Erskine View Post
                            hi brainchild,
                            For control on any computer with a browser I would use the LMS GUI with the "material" skin plugin.
                            To be clear, "LMS GUI" refers to the web page that is served by LMS when a browser requests from the machine on which LMS is running, correct?

                            Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                            The O2 Joggler is X86 running Linux.
                            As stated in a few posts in this tread - Jivelite is a controller (not a player ... SqueezePlay is a player with, in essence, Jivelite built in as the front end).
                            It certainly is confusing that the one build of Jivelite shown on the SourceForge site is targeted for a RPi.

                            Does the SqueezePlay controller have control over only the local player, or any on the network?

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by brainchild View Post
                              To be clear, "LMS GUI" refers to the web page that is served by LMS when a browser requests from the machine on which LMS is running, correct?
                              I can read this 2 ways.

                              LMS GUI refers to the web page(s) that are served by LMS. There is a little web server built into LMS. Any computer with a browser can access it.

                              The most significant point is the "material" skin plugin. It's a vast improvement over the standard skin. It is maintained almost daily. I think it is fair to say that "material" is taking over from the numerous apps that have been developed for numerous OSes.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Greg Erskine View Post
                                I can read this 2 ways.

                                The most significant point is the "material" skin plugin. It's a vast improvement over the standard skin. It is maintained almost daily. I think it is fair to say that "material" is taking over from the numerous apps that have been developed for numerous OSes.
                                There's a screenshot in the below post of the LMS material skin in a full screen browser. Like Greg and everyone have said, this is just a browser accessing LMS with the material skin plugin installed. There are multiple ways to make it look like a native app rather than a browser:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X