Backup piCorePlayer without removing SD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup piCorePlayer without removing SD card

I have piCorePlayer on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the official 7" touchscreen fitted inside a touchscreen case that doesn't allow access to the SD card. I've removed the back of the case a couple of times already to get the to the SD card, which has already caused the screw threads on the back of the touchscreen to loosen, making the touchscreen slightly loose in the case.

I'd like to create periodic backup copy/image of the piCorePlayer SD card to another SD card without having to take apart the touchscreen case, ideally using a USB SD card adapter plugged into the Pi's USB socket - in the same way as 'SD Card Copier' works in Rasbperry OS.

Is there anyway I can achieve this within the piCorePlayer OS - or perhaps another way via SSH or SFTP to another PC? Ideally, I'd like to be able to put the backup SD Card I create straight into another Pi and boot piCorePlayer straight from that (in case I want to use it in a Pi case without a touchscreen in future).

Any tips?

Thanks

Andy
    • Synology D218+ running LMS 8.1.1 in Docker container
    • 1 x Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 x Squeezebox Receiver, Squeeze Player & Squeeze Ctrl apps on Galaxy Tab S5e & Galaxy A40
    • Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB (with 7" Touchscreen in case & Flirc USB IR dongle) & Pi 4B 8GB in Flirc case, both running piCorePlayer 8.0.0 & LMS 8.1.1, connecting over Wi-fi to DS218+, or LMS library copy on 2TB USB hard drive plugged into Pi when no Wi-fi available
    • LMS library of ALAC, ACC/M4A and MP3 files

Originally posted by AndyTwizzle View Post
    I have piCorePlayer on a Raspberry Pi 4 with the official 7" touchscreen fitted inside a touchscreen case that doesn't allow access to the SD card. I've removed the back of the case a couple of times already to get the to the SD card, which has already caused the screw threads on the back of the touchscreen to loosen, making the touchscreen slightly loose in the case.

I'd like to create periodic backup copy/image of the piCorePlayer SD card to another SD card without having to take apart the touchscreen case, ideally using a USB SD card adapter plugged into the Pi's USB socket - in the same way as 'SD Card Copier' works in Rasbperry OS.

Is there anyway I can achieve this within the piCorePlayer OS - or perhaps another way via SSH or SFTP to another PC? Ideally, I'd like to be able to put the backup SD Card I create straight into another Pi and boot piCorePlayer straight from that (in case I want to use it in a Pi case without a touchscreen in future).

Any tips?

Thanks

Andy
    You can create a backup image in the latest versions of pCP. Main page > SD card image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	backup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1572982
    Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

Originally posted by kidstypike View Post
      You can create a backup image in the latest versions of pCP. Main page > SD card image.

[ATTACH]35380[/ATTACH]
      Thanks. Can that backup to an SD Card plugged into the Pi via a USB adapter?
      • 1 x Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 x Squeezebox Receiver, Squeeze Player & Squeeze Ctrl apps on Galaxy Tab S5e & Galaxy A40
      • Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB (with 7" Touchscreen in case & Flirc USB IR dongle) & Pi 4B 8GB in Flirc case, both running piCorePlayer 8.0.0 & LMS 8.1.1, connecting over Wi-fi to DS218+, or LMS library copy on 2TB USB hard drive plugged into Pi when no Wi-fi available

Comment

Thanks. Can that backup to an SD Card plugged into the Pi via a USB adapter?
        Not sure, but you can save the backup image to an attached USB thumbstick, it needs burning to an SD card to be able to use it.
        Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Comment

Not sure, but you can save the backup image to an attached USB thumbstick, it needs burning to an SD card to be able to use it.
          Thanks. I've put a blank SD card into a USB adapter, rebooted the Pi and shutdown LMS. When I go to select image locaton, I see two options:

/mnt/LMSfiles/images
          /tmp/images

Not sure if the card is mounted - how tell and/or mount it?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks. I've put a blank SD card into a USB adapter, rebooted the Pi and shutdown LMS. When I go to select image locaton, I see two options:

/mnt/LMSfiles/images
            /tmp/images

Not sure if the card is mounted - how tell and/or mount it?

Thanks
            I see similar to the 2 options you get, they are both on the SD card in use.

I also put a blank SD card into an adapter, on the LMS page I see picture below.

No matter what you save the image to you will still need to burn it to a SD card to use it, it isn't a copy of the files, it's an image, it needs burning to use it. You may as well use an attached USB stick.

Examples below.

Name:	invalid.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1572987

Name:	images.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1572988

Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Comment

OK, I reformatted the SD card in Windows, now it appears usable.

On the LMS page I mounted it as crabtree.

On the main page it appears in the list of available save locations.

Creating an image now . . . it took 12mins, although true I didn't install extension pigz.tcz.

Name:	crabtree01.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1572989

Name:	crabtree02.jpg
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1572990

Name:	crabtree03.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1572991

Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Comment

OK, I reformatted the SD card in Windows, now it appears usable.

On the LMS page I mounted it as crabtree.

On the main page it appears in the list of available save locations.

Creating an image now . . . it took 12mins, although true I didn't install extension pigz.tcz.

[ATTACH]35387[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35388[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35389[/ATTACH]
                Tried this all out last night with a USB stick and managed to get an image onto my PC which I then put on a backup SD card with Raspberry Pi imager writer software. Have another Pi on the way I'll be putting in a Flirc case and using on the move with a USB hard drive clone of my home NAS music library, so will be very handy to just pop the backup SD card straight into it and get it up and running immediately without having to reinstall pCP and recreate all the LMS settings yet again!

A fun bit of Friday night geeking out - many thanks for your help!

Andy

Comment

Now I've saved an image backup to USB stick, and written that image to a spare SD card, how would I go about restoring that image back onto the original piCorePlayer I took it from without having to open up the touchscreen case and swap out that cards?

Is there a way I can restore it from a USB stick?

Thanks

Comment

How to get the option to mount?

Hello,

I formatted a USB stick on windows as fat32.

Plugged it into the USB3.0 on the raspberry pi4.

There is only one entry on the mount
                    /tmp/images

Am I missing a step?

Thanks

Comment

For historical reasons the mount options are on the LMS page.

Comment

I realize that this is not directly related to your question, but have you considered adding an SD micro card extender in your pi case. I had the same issue with not having access to my sd card. After having to dismantle the case a couple of times when it became necessary to swap out an sd card, I modified my case to allow access using a UCTRONICS Micro SD to Micro SD Card Male to Female Flexible Extender. I just cut a small hole in the case and secured the extender with screws so that it protruded out a fraction. It may not be an option with your pi enclosure, but maybe something to consider. Note, I tried a couple of extenders that didn't work consistently, but the Uctronics extender is part of their rack systems and is dependable.

Good luck

Anthony
                        Pi 4 - JustBoom Digi - Topping E30
                        Pi 4 - HiFiBerry Dac2 Pro
                        Pi 4 - Topping D10s

Comment

@greg, thanks, found it!

@agburnsky thanks for the suggestion, I might do this as getting the SD card in our is difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by bengaldave View Post
                            @greg, thanks, found it!

@agburnsky thanks for the suggestion, I might do this as getting the SD card in our is difficult.

Tweezers

ronnie

Comment

@ronnie

Not sure if you are joking or serious but I am using tweezers.

I am using the official pi display and the ribbon connector is right around the sd slot so there is not enough room for fingers.

I am very reluctant to ever disconnect the display ribbon, as the retainer clip for the ribbon on the display is very fragile.

So need to use tweezers and approach from the side.

I did buy the sd extension and that solves this issue.

Also bought a right angle Ethernet adapter as Ethernet port has the same issue, no clearance to get fingers there.

Comment

Working...
                              X