No announcement yet.

piCorePlayer 8.0.0 - Bluetooth Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, quick question. I am looking for a way to make my RPI3B+ a squeezelite, shaiport and bluetooth client (only) using piCorePlayer and headphones output (or usb dac). Squeezelite and Shairport-sync are working like a charm (I have an other device in my network working as a LMS server and music database, and the iTunes from Windows device) but I am not sure how to set the built-in bluetooth receiver to play music from connected phone (using the best possible codec) to the built-in headphones output or usb dac. Is it possible?

Comment

Yes it should work. But using LMS, shairport and Bluetooth are likely going to cause conflicts.
      piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
      Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

Bluetooth for controlling playback, not for audio output

Currently my phone is my gui which works like charm, but... I ordered a simple bt steering wheel controller (play/pause/skip/volume) and it appears as a bt-keyboard when pairing with my phone. Is it possible to connect it directly to my PiCoreplayer as a keyboard to control playback directly without having to pay my phone any attention? I could not find any discussion about this, if possible I appreciate any help. Rgds Magnus

Comment

Originally posted by paul- View Post
          Yes it should work. But using LMS, shairport and Bluetooth are likely going to cause conflicts.
          Would you be so kind and help me with the setup, please?

On the pcp only squeezelite and shairport are running. BT would be the third option. Or Chromecast, but as far as I know it is hard to achieve (getting it to work).

Here is my current configuration:

Be advise that:
          - I am currently using the USB dac, which is set under Squeezelite settings/Output setting as hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0. The Audio output device settings is set to None because I did not find the correct option to use just any usb connected device,
          - I can't set the BT to be always discoverable - the Save button is not available for this option,
          - device connected to pcp is my phone, Samsung A52S - I can not set the codec option for it on the phone and pcp too - option is not available to choose.

Thank you!

Comment

Codec can only be set for the encoding to a Bluetooth speaker. The phone is going to dictate the codec.

Comment

Unable to control Bluetooth volume via MacBook

I am using Bluetooth in Player mode. Streaming audio works from all my devices, but volume control does not: I can control the volume when playing music from an Android phone, but when using a Mac as the source, the Mac's volume setting is ignored. I experimented a bit and found that this is because bluetoothd was started without the --plugin=a2dp flag.

This daemon is started by /usr/local/etc/init.d/bluez, which is part of /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional/bluez.tcz. I patched the squashfs file to launch it as /usr/local/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd --experimental --plugin=a2dp and now volume control works with all my devices.
              Last edited by Plush; 2022-11-19, 21:34.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for The info.

Comment

Codec can only be set for the encoding to a Bluetooth speaker. The phone is going to dictate the codec.
                  Not sure why I can not set the codec from my Samsung. But finally I managed to get it to work.

I set the main squeezelite settings as follow (Audio output device settings to USB audio and Output setting leaved empty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	squeeze1.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1576071

The BT Output Device to default (probably will work with blank field too) and the Shairport-sync settings all default (blank fields).

All three outputs working without issues now.

Comment

Adding support for Realtek-based Bluetooth devices

I was pretty disappointed by the Raspberry Pi's internal Bluetooth module but none of the Bluetooth USB dongles I had was working with piCorePlayer because of missing firmware:

[ 26.545192] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: firmware file rtl_bt/rtl8761bu_fw.bin not found

Hence, I created a firmware extension adding support for Realtek-powered devices in piCorePlayer. You can find it here: https://www.dl6er.de/pCP/firmware-bluetooth-rtl.tcz
                    The firmware has been taken from git.kernel.org.

I'd like to ask for inclusion in the piCorePlayer repository for simplicity reasons as other users might find this useful, too.

With this extension loaded at boot time, I succeeded in testing seven out of seven different Bluetooth 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 dongles.
                    I particularly enjoy being able to stream to my piCorePlayer from everywhere in the house to my EDUP 100M USB Bluetooth Dongle.

Best,
                    Dominik

Comment

I do not get many requests for these, but I specifically do not include support for realtek products, since managing their poorly built drivers takes way too much time.

Comment

I do not get many requests for these, but I specifically do not include support for realtek products, since managing their poorly built drivers takes way too much time.
                        can you recommend a usb AC wifi device, Paul?

I bought a generic realtek one on walmart and compiled drives to see if I could get it workig on Ubuntu 22.04 and had no luck.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Is there a list of recommended USB BT adapters? I'm having lots of troubles with the built-in RPi one.

I checked the PCP docs but there isn't a list. A forum search turned up a Maxesla v4.0 adapter on Amazon but it's no longer available.
                          Knowing the supported chipsets would help too. I know Realtek ones are not supported but I didn't quite understand the reason why. Nor do I understand how one would use the Realtek firmware posted recently or if it's going to cause problems. All a bit confusing. :-(

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no list. Manufacturers are well known for using many different chips in their products, and no way to identify them until you stick them in the system.

For WiFi, mediatek chips are well supported in the linux kernel. But Bluetooth is a lot more hit and miss. As long as it’s just firmware, I’ll create a package, but would rather not bloat the systems by adding by default.
                            Last edited by paul-; 2022-12-22, 02:31.

Comment

Hello, I dream a little about BT5 (bluetooth 5) compatibility...
                              Hello every body, I wish an happy new year to all of you. As the Pi4 has BT5 implemented (but unusable) with a range and rate so enhanced regarding to BT4, I would like to know if there is any project about supporting Bluetooth 5 on Picoreplayer. I know it should be an extension but I'm really not competent enough to make it.

Comment

What do you mean about BT5?. Bluez should support it. Your problems are more likely with the pi4 BT chipset.

Comment

Working...
                                X