text editor in piCore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

text editor in piCore

I wanted to look at the contents of a few files in piCore to see how the Samba implementation works. I used ssh to get in and found the files I wanted (fstab, smb.conf). Nano was not present. Maybe there's another text editor. I was still able to see the contents by copying the files to the shared drive and then opening that in windows, but I'm guessing they just put in an alternate editor. Thanks

Originally posted by dmozell View Post
    I wanted to look at the contents of a few files in piCore to see how the Samba implementation works. I used ssh to get in and found the files I wanted (fstab, smb.conf). Nano was not present. Maybe there's another text editor. I was still able to see the contents by copying the files to the shared drive and then opening that in windows, but I'm guessing they just put in an alternate editor. Thanks
    I think vi is installed instead.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by dmozell View Post
      Nano can be installed. Check "Extensions" from the pCP main page.

I think the vi editor is pre-installed. It's a good editor to know, but if you have never used it before, it is frustrating and counter-intuitive. Fortunately, plenty of guides to vi are available online.

Also, there is a text file viewer -- not an editor -- called less. I think it is pre-installed on pCP. And it's much more intuitive than vi!
      Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbH View Post
        Nano can be installed. Check "Extensions" from the pCP main page.

I think the vi editor is pre-installed. It's a good editor to know, but if you have never used it before, it is frustrating and counter-intuitive. Fortunately, plenty of guides to vi are available online.

Also, there is a text file viewer -- not an editor -- called less. I think it is pre-installed on pCP. And it's much more intuitive than vi!
        For a non Linux person by far the easiiest method to edit a file is by using WinSCP. https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

WinSCP connects exactly like an ssh client but gives you a graphical Windows like interface. Find the file you want to edit and right click on it and do Edit. For those that do this regularly add Notepad++ as the default Editor.
        Last edited by d6jg; 2022-11-28, 17:17.
        Jim
        https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
        Dining Room SB Radio
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

If you only want to "see" the file, there are the Linux commands cat, more, and less.

vi is a default Linux editor.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbH View Post
            I think the vi editor is pre-installed. It's a good editor to know, but if you have never used it before, it is frustrating and counter-intuitive.
            Understatement of the year!
            vi vi vi is the number of the beast for good reason.
            Until recently: Transporter -> ATC SCM100A, now sold :-(
            House move forced change to: piCorePlayer(RPi2/HiFiBerry DIGI2 Pro) -> Meridian 218 -> Meridian M6

Comment

Originally posted by cliveb View Post
              Understatement of the year!
              vi vi vi is the number of the beast for good reason.
              I probably should have added that if you are already familiar with vi, it is merely annoying and counter-productive.

Of course, there are some who love it. There was a time when I used edlin in DOS, so I understand how vi could be seen as a vast improvement. But it boggles my mind that anyone could prefer it.

All of this is entirely off-topic for the OP's question, but I hope by now he has settled on WinSCP, as recommended by Jim, or installed nano, if he's already familiar with that.
              Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

The only caveat to WinSCP and a windows based editor. Even if you use Notepad++ or another editor that understands Unix Line endings, WinSCP can do text file Line ending conversions on the fly, and if not configured properly can leave you with quite a mess. WinSCP should automatically detect the linux server and automatically configure line endings.......but make sure to double check
                piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
                Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Comment

The secret to getting to love vi is to use ed for a few days

Nano is available as an extension for those sick of typing q!

Bonne chance S

Comment

Working...
                  X