Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darko Audio's recent video tribute to the Squeezebox (GOAT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think I should offer him to try a SqueezeAMP? It's tempting but first it is not a commercial venture (by no means) and second, it is very unlikely going to fit his expectations of audio quality so it might be a waste of time with frustration for everybody.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

Definitely think these videos touch on the thing that still blows me away: Squeezebox was so far ahead of it's time, it's still advanced 17+ years later!

Every Squeezebox I bought over the years is still working perfectly (a decent selection - see below), and thanks to this community (and Michael in particular) they more than keep pace with changes over time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Squeeze.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1576347

Without a doubt the best Tech Investment I've made!

oh - and the Controller is arguably the only part that has become redundant thanks to Smartphones, so doesn't get a lot of love these days. In fairness it's easy to forget that the Controller was seen as a must have component for the battle with Sonos 'back in the day'....sigh....does make you wonder what might have been.

Blows my mind really that Squeezebox still wipes the floor with Sonos even after they've had over a decade to try to catch up!!

And final memory for me.....I bought a Nokia N770 to use as a squeezebox remote once upon a time....anyone still got a working one of those!!?? Bet that looks clunkier than a Squeezebox Controller now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Browny View Post
        And final memory for me.....I bought a Nokia N770 to use as a squeezebox remote once upon a time....anyone still got a working one of those!!?? Bet that looks clunkier than a Squeezebox Controller now!!!
        That set me off looking ... and I have just powered up my Nokia N770 ... however, I could find Squeezeplay for N800 but not N770. Was there one?

Edit:
        N770 support was via a skin (from bklass) which I think stopped working before LMS 8.
        Last edited by Paul Webster; 2022-12-22, 18:19.
        Paul Webster
        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Browny View Post

Without a doubt the best Tech Investment I've made!
          +1

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
          3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
            That set me off looking ... and I have just powered up my Nokia N770 ....
            Wow! It booted up…..nice! Pity the skin has been demised to actually use it, but you’re probably the first person to try in a decade I guess!!

Comment

I didn't get to try it from the N770 but I could see that it still had a bookmark set to access it with an IP address of my Windows machine ... from when I used to run LMS in Windows ... so I suspect I might still have the Nokia770 skin on that system if I migrated machines by copying all of the data.

To try it out from the N770 has another hurdle though ... it cannot do modern WiFi security so cannot connect to my LAN so I would have to put in a special access point for it.
              Paul Webster
              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                I didn't get to try it from the N770 but I could see that it still had a bookmark set to access it with an IP address of my Windows machine ... from when I used to run LMS in Windows ... so I suspect I might still have the Nokia770 skin on that system if I migrated machines by copying all of the data.

To try it out from the N770 has another hurdle though ... it cannot do modern WiFi security so cannot connect to my LAN so I would have to put in a special access point for it.
                Sometimes “just because I can” doesn’t stand up as a valid argument. You know that you have many better things to do today!

PS Let us know if it works.
                Jim
                https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                Dining Room SB Radio
                Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

I think maybe the appearance of Darko's GOAT review for LMS explains the 5x increase in daily installs of MediaServer and LMS-lite over the past month or so. I was wondering where all the sudden interest was coming from

Comment

Hey that’s interesting. Where can one see the download count?

Comment

£50-60 a few weeks ago now hitting £90 - £140 on eBay

Comment

Originally posted by bengaldave View Post
                        Hey that’s interesting. Where can one see the download count?
                        That’s not the LMS download count. It’s the number of new users registering for my Alexa skills which I can see in the Amazon logs.

Comment

Working...
                        X