Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darko Audio's recent video tribute to the Squeezebox (GOAT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
    Is Roon really that good?
    It's not $700 better than "Roon Lite": LMS + Material Skin + Music And Artist Information.

Comment

Originally posted by Apesbrain View Post
      It's not $700 better than "Roon Lite": LMS + Material Skin + Music And Artist Information.
      My thinking entirely
      Jim
      https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
      Dining Room SB Radio
      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
      Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Originally posted by mherger View Post
        Haha... and it doesn't stop there - thanks to an amazing response to the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPwLSb4vzJU
        Congrats!

I agree with John Darko that 'Random Album' is a GREAT feature of the system.

Sorry to say, I also wasn't blown away with the quality of the sound from the Duet. On my website, in 2009, I wrote "The Squeezebox Duet is not a real Hi-Fi piece of equipment. I may be a bit sharp here, since probably 80 % of the population (the average consumer) can live with it the way it is. The Duet combo is a low-cost lifestyle piece of equipment, and I guess that's where the money is for Logitech."

With kind regards,
        Claus

Comment

Originally posted by cfuttrup View Post
          Congrats!

I agree with John Darko that 'Random Album' is a GREAT feature of the system.

Sorry to say, I also wasn't blown away with the quality of the sound from the Duet. On my website, in 2009, I wrote "The Squeezebox Duet is not a real Hi-Fi piece of equipment. I may be a bit sharp here, since probably 80 % of the population (the average consumer) can live with it the way it is. The Duet combo is a low-cost lifestyle piece of equipment, and I guess that's where the money is for Logitech."

With kind regards,
          Claus
          But you have to give credit to the remote part of the duet. I think it was absolutely amazing for it’s time
          LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

Originally posted by philippe_44 View Post
            But you have to give credit to the remote part of the duet. I think it was absolutely amazing for it’s time
            Ha!

The Duet was the only Squeezebox that I bought and sold on shortly after.

The remote I couldn't get to grips with. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing design, great to look at, but trying to use it! The main problem was the wheel's sensitivity, I'd select a menu and go for the centre button to enter it, but the selection would move and I'd end up entering a menu I didn't want, back out of that menu and forget exactly what it was I was trying to do in the first place!

Or maybe it was just me?
            Server - LMS 8.4.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
            Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
            Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

Originally posted by kidstypike View Post
              Ha!

The Duet was the only Squeezebox that I bought and sold on shortly after.

The remote I couldn't get to grips with. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing design, great to look at, but trying to use it! The main problem was the wheel's sensitivity, I'd select a menu and go for the centre button to enter it, but the selection would move and I'd end up entering a menu I didn't want, back out of that menu and forget exactly what it was I was trying to do in the first place!

Or maybe it was just me?
              The worst part of the controller was entering WiFi passwords and search terms. Painful...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
              Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
              Bedroom: Radio
              Bathroom: Radio

Comment

But at the time, wasn’t it a gigantic leap in term of ease of use to navigate a library? I found it fantastic
                LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

Originally posted by philippe_44 View Post
                  But at the time, wasn’t it a gigantic leap in term of ease of use to navigate a library? I found it fantastic
                  Before smart phones it was definitely the best way to control Squeezeboxes. I still have mine on a side table ready for use. At the time it seemed like I was always having to reset both the controller and the receiver because the receiver had lost contact with the server for some reason. Those were the days when I was using a Windows PC and Wake On Lan and probably hadn't reserved an IP address for the server on the router so I might have better luck now with a Pi server. I should retrieve the receiver from the loft and try it again sometime.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                  Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by cfuttrup View Post
                    Congrats!

With kind regards,
                    Claus
                    I tend to agree. I used my Duet once!

One of my mates connected my Controller up as a player, it sounded a lot better, probably as good as the Touch.

I still use the Controller as one of my control devices.

Comment

I never had a Duet. I started off in 2008 with an SB3 and relatively quickly discovered iPeng so never needed one.
                      Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
                      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

Nice show, true to the end.
                        I have 2 duets and one additional receiver.
                        No problems other than the power supplies for the receiver.
                        Did replace the batteries in the duet remotes, but otherwise awesome.
                        2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
                        1 X SqueezeAmp + Edifier S1000DB
                        1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
                        1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
                        Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 7.0 Audioengine A5 ( passive mode )
                        Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
                        SqueezeAmp 3 Monsoon MM-700 flat panels + Infinity sub
                        HTC 10 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
                        ReadyNAS 516 LMS 8.30

Comment

Never had a touch. I went for the Duet as an upgrade from a classic, and had frequent wireless issues, but the killer was a hardware failure with the remote charger. I like that Darko emphasizes the software and the community as a big part of his GOAT award.
                          Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.2
                          Router: Netgear R700P
                          File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
                          Music Service: Qobuz
                          Logitech Boom

Comment

never really liked my duet. Eventually gave it away to someone on this forum. but I still use two different duet controllers to this day (easy for my wife) and I have a 3rd new one in a box somewhere as a backup.
                            Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                            Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                            Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                            The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                            Controllers: iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
                            Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

My Controller is starting to play up - I suspect the battery is coming towards end of its life.
                              It gets used most days to control a SqueezeAMP in the kitchen which is also controlled by 2 Jogglers (at opposite ends of the room).

SB2 used every morning and many evenings - screen still good but I think that is because I have screensaver set to blank it after 30 seconds, even when playing.

Openpeak2 (Joggler in a bigger case and with 2 front facing speakers) sits in the bathroom and is used every day.

Joggler on my desk, connected by USB to a Behringer mixer and then to HiFi Amp is probably the most used.

I just put LMS on an old RPi1 to ship to a family member who currently uses a Squeezebox Radio with MySqueezebox. The LMS is to keep him running when BBC switches of Shoutcast streams next year ... hopefully they will not kill off opensource use of BBC Sounds API at the same time.

Another family member is waiting for their shipping container to arrive having just changed country ... in it is their LMS on a RPi, Joggler and 2 AirPlay devices they they were using in UK ... A new SqueezeAMP from the next batch is destined for them to add to their set as they have more rooms in their new place.

Grandson has a Joggler in his bedroom that connects to LMS on an old RPi 1 powered by USB socket on their router. They gave me back their SB2 (that was connected to a DJ mixing desk) because it stopped working ... turns out it was just the power supply that was faulty so it will be making the return trip soon with a replacement power brick.

Another family member has another of my my old RPi with original IQaudio HAT plus 3 Jogglers - one with USB connection to good small B&W speakers and another to a mini HiFi and another in a bedroom using the built-in speaker.

I love it.

Edit:
                              PS - I forgot to mention the other ones that are in place but not used much ... 2 SB Radios plus another SqueezeAMP (used when the ironing has to be done).
                              Last edited by Paul Webster; 2022-11-19, 23:28.
                              Paul Webster
                              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
                                My Controller is starting to play up - I suspect the battery is coming towards end of its life.
                                It gets used most days to control a SqueezeAMP in the kitchen which is also controlled by 2 Jogglers (at opposite ends of the room).

SB2 used every morning and many evenings - screen still good but I think that is because I have screensaver set to blank it after 30 seconds, even when playing.

Openpeak2 (Joggler in a bigger case and with 2 front facing speakers) sits in the bathroom and is used every day.

Joggler on my desk, connected by USB to a Behringer mixer and then to HiFi Amp is probably the most used.

I just put LMS on an old RPi1 to ship to a family member who currently uses a Squeezebox Radio with MySqueezebox. The LMS is to keep him running when BBC switches of Shoutcast streams next year ... hopefully they will not kill off opensource use of BBC Sounds API at the same time.

Another family member is waiting for their shipping container to arrive having just changed country ... in it is their LMS on a RPi, Joggler and 2 AirPlay devices they they were using in UK ... A new SqueezeAMP from the next batch is destined for them to add to their set as they have more rooms in their new place.

Grandson has a Joggler in his bedroom that connects to LMS on an old RPi 1 powered by USB socket on their router. They gave me back their SB2 (that was connected to a DJ mixing desk) because it stopped working ... turns out it was just the power supply that was faulty so it will be making the return trip soon with a replacement power brick.

Another family member has another of my my old RPi with original IQaudio HAT plus 3 Jogglers - one with USB connection to good small B&W speakers and another to a mini HiFi and another in a bedroom using the built-in speaker.

I love it.

Edit:
                                PS - I forgot to mention the other ones that are in place but not used much ... 2 SB Radios plus another SqueezeAMP (used when the ironing has to be done).
                                Great stuff!

I use Jogglers but only as Now Playing / Control devices except one which bizarrely is connected to a Behringer mixer! Said mixer is also connected to a Trio KD1033B turntable (70’s) and also to my main PC.
                                Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

Working...
                                X