BBC ending Shoutcast stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agbagb View Post
    I'm now getting that warning message on BBC R3 via the Sounds plug-in several times a day, on the hour. I'm listening in France.......
    Actually, thinking about it, I'd be interested to know, if you rewind the BBC Sounds live stream using the BBC sounds live rewind capability, do you hear the message again?
    Stuart McLean

ExpectingToFly Plugins :
    BBC Sounds, Global Player (UK), Times Radio, UK Radio Player, Virgin Radio (UK) and the Radio Favourites Plugin

For BBC Sounds help see the BBC Sounds Wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by expectingtofly View Post
      Actually, thinking about it, I'd be interested to know, if you rewind the BBC Sounds live stream using the BBC sounds live rewind capability, do you hear the message again?
      I'll try that when I can .......
      8.2.1 - 1639114554
      Win11
      Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
      External SSD, WiFi Laptop
      2 x Touch Wireless (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
      1 x SB Radio, LAN into Vonets WiFi Bridge (8.0.1-r16907)

Comment

Don’t you think this could be Auntie attempting more geo blocking?
        If you have ever had any dealings with overseas networking you will find that www.bbc.co.uk returns a different site entirely to the one we see in UK.
        Jim
        https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
        Dining Room SB Radio
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
          Don’t you think this could be Auntie attempting more geo blocking?
          If you have ever had any dealings with overseas networking you will find that www.bbc.co.uk returns a different site entirely to the one we see in UK.
          If I listen here in France direct on my laptop to the Beeb via their website, or direct via the Sounds replay facility - ie, not connected at all to the LMS world - there's almost never any geo blocking. Except for some live sports, and some live music. And that other oddity - Thought For The Day on BBC R4 is sometimes geo locked - I imagine that the contract they have with some of the independent contributors is for UK rights only (I know one chap who makes a decent income from selling his short "belief" essays to English language stations round the world, the Beeb merely being his largest and best customer.....).

So, I think that IF the Beeb wants to do more geo locking, this ending of Shoutcast and advertising Sounds would be an odd way of going about it. I don't think this is a commercial policy issue, but a techie one - and that the overseas addition of the message to a Sounds-derived LMS stream is probably a glitch of the type we've sometimes seen before.

Let's hope! BTW, I now haven't heard the message for 36 hours - but the week-end material on R3, R4 and R4Ex is much more heavily pre-recorded than the weekday stuff (even the Continuity), so that may be a factor too.
          8.2.1 - 1639114554
          Win11

Comment

Some stations have been completely off all weekend, for example BBC Radio Kent's mp3 stream.
            Either it's looping the message or it's completely silent as it is now.
            RadioFeeds UK & Ireland.. an up-to-date radio directory for your Squeezebox/Transporter/UE Smart Radio.. available from the mysqueezebox.com App Gallery.
            Bonus: our RadioFeeds LMS plugin also lists AAC and the BBC's high-quality HLS streams on top of what's available in our MSB app.
            Now with over 1000 registered users, it's available for Logitech Media Server (and Squeezebox Server, SqueezeCenter and SlimServer).
            Click for more info: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/squeeze

Comment

Originally posted by expectingtofly View Post
              I'm still listening out to try this - but I haven't in fact heard the message since 12th November....... which makes me think the message - on Sounds - was a Beeb glitch....
              8.2.1 - 1639114554
              Win11

Comment

Originally posted by agbagb View Post
                I'm still listening out to try this - but I haven't in fact heard the message since 12th November....... which makes me think the message - on Sounds - was a Beeb glitch....
                That's good to hear.
                Stuart McLean

ExpectingToFly Plugins :
                BBC Sounds, Global Player (UK), Times Radio, UK Radio Player, Virgin Radio (UK) and the Radio Favourites Plugin

For BBC Sounds help see the BBC Sounds Wiki.

Comment

The only Logitech AV product I now own is a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen which has served us well.

It'll be a shame to see it go but I haven't found a way of listening to BBC Radio and Times Radio other than via the MP3 streams.

Dave

Lounge: Vortexbox Microserver 2 (LMS 7.9.1), Sonore microRendu, CIAudio VDC7 Power Supply, Uptone USPCB A to B USB Adapter, Naim DAC-V1, Naim NAP200, PMC GB1i.
                  Conservatory: RPi 3B+ / HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro / piCorePlayer, DACMagic 100, B&W MM-1 Computers Speakers.
                  Kitchen: Squeezebox Radio.
                  Study: Windows 10 PC / Squeezelite-X, RPi 3B+ / HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro / piCorePlayer, Micromega MYDAC, B&W MM-1 Computer Speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by dave4jazz View Post
                    The only Logitech AV product I now own is a Squeezebox Radio in the kitchen which has served us well.

It'll be a shame to see it go but I haven't found a way of listening to BBC Radio and Times Radio other than via the MP3 streams.

Dave
                    Just checking .... but do you know that there are ways of doing it that means your SB Radio stays?
                    Paul Webster
                    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

No I don't. That's the bit I'm missing then.
                      Lounge: Vortexbox Microserver 2 (LMS 7.9.1), Sonore microRendu, CIAudio VDC7 Power Supply, Uptone USPCB A to B USB Adapter, Naim DAC-V1, Naim NAP200, PMC GB1i.
                      Conservatory: RPi 3B+ / HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro / piCorePlayer, DACMagic 100, B&W MM-1 Computers Speakers.
                      Study: Windows 10 PC / Squeezelite-X, RPi 3B+ / HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro / piCorePlayer, Micromega MYDAC, B&W MM-1 Computer Speakers.

Comment

No I don't. That's the bit I'm missing then.
                        See earlier in this thread - but basically ... if you had another computer available that could run LMS then you would have a great solution. There are lot of things that it runs on including any old Windows PC or MAC, a low-cost single board computer (e.g. Raspberry Pi) and sometimes a local file sharing system (NAS).
                        Paul Webster
                        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Info here

Hi I am receiving a message stating that the BBC4 stream I am listening to will stop working sometime in 2023 I think the URL I am using must have come from the Logitech BBC app. I have googled around and can't find anything that works, one suggestion gives an error message on the SB radio of '403 Forbidden' Could someone

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post

See earlier in this thread - but basically ... if you had another computer available that could run LMS then you would have a great solution. There are lot of things that it runs on including any old Windows PC or MAC, a low-cost single board computer (e.g. Raspberry Pi) and sometimes a local file sharing system (NAS).
                            I'm trying to get my head around possible solutions but I don't see one that involves only modifying the Squeezebox Radio software.

Perhaps I don't fully understand but as far as I can see any solution will involve using an external PC/Raspberry Pi and the SR aux. input.

Comment

Dave
                              From your Sig.

Lounge: Vortexbox Microserver 2 (LMS 7.9.1)

Update your LMS

ronnie

Comment

I'm trying to get my head around possible solutions but I don't see one that involves only modifying the Squeezebox Radio software.

Perhaps I don't fully understand but as far as I can see any solution will involve using an external PC/Raspberry Pi and the SR aux. input.
                                Get a Pi, run LMS on it and then your radio will connect to that over the network instead of to mySqueezebox.com. Aux In not used.
                                Jim
                                https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                                Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                                Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                                Dining Room SB Radio
                                Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                                Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                                Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Working...
                                X