Any experiences with Dirac Live Room Correction / NAD C 658

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> Am 30.11.2021 um 15:14 schrieb beneix <beneix.abxkon (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
    > Thanks - I'll think about it. Here in Europe the price of the SHD is on
    > par with the NAD. The SHD doesn't seem to have 12V trigger output for my
    > power amplifier, and the NAD has a built-in streamer, so that may sway
    > the choice.

If you or anyone is interested in buying a MiniDSP SHD Studio just let me know. I’d sell my unit because I was only using the CleanWolver solution during the last year and I do not think this will change in future. So the MiniDSP is more usefull for someone who likes to ply with it.

I am in Germany and the unit has been a display item before and was only used in a Hifi store. All accessories and the original box is available and if anyone is interested I can also sell a Ifi Power supply for the unit.

Cheers,

Schoepp

RPi 3B+ with HiFiBerry DAC+ADC running piCorePlayer v8.1.0 – LMS 8.2.0
    Music library on NAS via network mount
    SB3 firmware 137
    SB Radio Community firmware 8.0.1-r16867
    RPi 3B with PiCorePlayer 8.1.0
    SqueezeLite-X

I have the opportunity to purchase a NAD C 658 at a decent price. It has a digital room correction circuit built-in.

I have always been a bit conservative and strived for "pure path" HiFi (my current amp doesn't even have tone controls!), so I have no experience of room correction in a HiFi context.

Does anyone have experience of using either the NAD C 658, or the Dirac algorithms (I believe they are built into equipment from several other manufacturers)? Does it work? Do you get the desired effect (a more perfect in-room frequency response) without the traditional issues from e.g. equalizers?
    SB3 firmware 137
    SqueezeLite-X

Comment

Any experiences with Dirac Live RoomCorrection / NAD C 658

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 08:00:02AM +0000, beneix wrote:
      >
      >Does anyone have experience of using either the NAD C 658, or the Dirac
      >algorithms (I believe they are built into equipment from several other
      >manufacturers)? Does it work? Do you get the desired effect (a more
      >perfect in-room frequency response) without the traditional issues from
      >e.g. equalizers?

Sorry, I have no experience with NAD and I didn't use equalizers, but using
      DSP was the biggest improvement in sound I had after tweaking room
      acoustic. I do not like listen without DSP anymore :-).

I have a MiniDSP Studio with a squeezelite running on it and the results are
      very good. Dirac is easy to use and making measurements is no big deal.

But I have even gotten better results by using a meassurement software
      called Acourate:

Mr. Brueggemann, the master mind behind Acourate, created the filters for me
      via a Team Viewer Online session, because understanding and using Acourate
      needs a bit of expirience.

I've included the filters into a little Linux box called CleanWolver, which
      is also offered by Mr. Brueggemann. Its a Rasberry PI which sits between
      your streamer and DAC and which does the sound convolution. Ofcourse you
      need an external DAC for such a setup and the streamer and DAC have to be
      connected via USB, at least this was necessary in my setup.

So, the easiest and not to complex way, and for sure also the cheaper
      solution, is the NAD with Dirac. Maybe it is the first step to get in touch
      with DSP for you.

But if you like to have real control on the filters you use, e.g. Acourate
      might be the better solution. But this needs also more time and means a lot
      of learning, trying, measuring, listening, measuring again, e.g...., or buy
      support from Mr. Brueggemann, he knows all the tricks reagring DSP and his
      software :-).

Ciao,

Schoepp

>
      >
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >beneix's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=59783
      >View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=115482
      >
      >

Comment

Hi,

I habe no experience with NAD, but use the minidsp shd including Dirac for some time now. Dirac is great and improved my system drastically. I would consider buying an shd and a separate power Amp. This could not only be cheaper than the NAD but be more flexible than having an all in one box. The shd also runs squeezelite, so is compatible with a lms environment without separate pi or similar as a player.
        Greets
        Christian.
        Raspi 4 as server for various things besides lms
        Raspi 3 feeding a SPL Phonitor xe for headphones
        Minidsp shd running squeezelite feeding a poweramp and a pair of Nubert nuvero 70 and 2 elac Sub 2070
        2 Squeezebox Radios (kitchen and bath)
        Nubert NuPro A200, AW350 Sub , raspi 3 with hifiberry digi+ for the bedroom
        raspi A with M2Tech HiFace usb dac and JBL Control 1 for the balcony :-)

Comment

Originally posted by schoeppi View Post
          Sorry, I have no experience with NAD and I didn't use equalizers, but using
          DSP was the biggest improvement in sound I had after tweaking room
          acoustic. I do not like listen without DSP anymore :-).

I have a MiniDSP Studio with a squeezelite running on it and the results are
          very good. Dirac is easy to use and making measurements is no big deal.

But I have even gotten better results by using a meassurement software
          called Acourate:

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Really interesting; I had not heard of this company before. They even have a similar piece of equipment to the NAD (but without the streaming capability). Now you've given me something to think about...
          SB3 firmware 137
          SqueezeLite-X

Comment

Originally posted by chrissy View Post
            Hi,

I habe no experience with NAD, but use the minidsp shd including Dirac for some time now. Dirac is great and improved my system drastically. I would consider buying an shd and a separate power Amp. This could not only be cheaper than the NAD but be more flexible than having an all in one box. The shd also runs squeezelite, so is compatible with a lms environment without separate pi or similar as a player.
            Greets
            Christian.
            I have also toyed with the idea of buying something from MiniDSP and putting it in my path. My problem is that I have a balanced connection between my preamp and my active speakers, so I can't really use any of the MninDSP equipment if I want all of my sources to be processed.
            SB3 firmware 137
            SqueezeLite-X

Comment

Hi,

The shd has 4 balanced outputs and replaces your preamp. This should work fine.
              Greets
              Christian
              Raspi 4 as server for various things besides lms
              Raspi 3 feeding a SPL Phonitor xe for headphones
              Minidsp shd running squeezelite feeding a poweramp and a pair of Nubert nuvero 70 and 2 elac Sub 2070
              2 Squeezebox Radios (kitchen and bath)
              Nubert NuPro A200, AW350 Sub , raspi 3 with hifiberry digi+ for the bedroom
              raspi A with M2Tech HiFace usb dac and JBL Control 1 for the balcony :-)

Comment

Originally posted by chrissy View Post
                Hi,

The shd has 4 balanced outputs and replaces your preamp. This should work fine.
                Greets
                Christian
                Thanks - I'll think about it. Here in Europe the price of the SHD is on par with the NAD. The SHD doesn't seem to have 12V trigger output for my power amplifier, and the NAD has a built-in streamer, so that may sway the choice.
                SB3 firmware 137
                SqueezeLite-X

Comment

Room EQ Wizard and SoX are also a good option, you need a calibrated mic (like a miniDSP mic) but no other hardware.

Comment

Room correction with REW and Moodeaudio

I'm living in a small room with hard walls therefore the bass is my problem. Using a Behringer ECM8000 microphone and REW I measured the plain sound (green). Then I buildt a room correction with parametric equalizers in Moodeaudio and measured again (red). Listening is far better now.
                    Attached Files
                    LMS 8.4 on MacbookPro 11.1 from 2014 running Ubuntu Budgie | 1x Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W + moOde 7 UPnP as USB-Player + TEAC UD-501 USB-DAC + Phonitor Mini Headphone Amplifier + AKG K812 headphones | 5x Squeezbox Radio (red, White, Black) | 1x Raspbery Pi4 + Allo Boss 2 + Arcam FMJ A22+P25 BiAmping + B&W Nautilus 805

Comment

I very highly and enthusiastically recommend Dirac room optimization. IMO it is *the* top breakthrough in optimizing system performance of the last 20 years.
                      ...pablo
                      Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
                      System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
                      Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
                      Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Comment

Review of the NAD, none too impressive.
                        This is a review and detailed measurements of the NAD C658 streamer and DAC. It also acts as a preamplifier with Phono and line in. A cool feature is inclusion of Dirac Room EQ and balanced out and you get a killer feature set. For that, you need to pay though to the tune of US $1,650. The...

Comment

Working...
                        X