MQA is apparently a hoax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MQA is apparently a hoax

This has got to be the most convincing video showing that MQA is truly “The Emperor’s New Clothes”, a hoax. I hope Deezer sticks with flac and do not force MQA on us like Tidal does.

A deep dive into MQA, and its problems.Testing starts at 5:45Come chat on discord: https://www.thegoldenone.co.uk Support me on patreon and join the private ...
    LMS 8.1.1 on Synology 213+ NAS. 3 x Squeezebox Touch with external Rega DAC.

Yup

sigpic
    Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

Yep - that's why I've dumped Tidal and gone Qobuz - nice, plain FLAC.

Comment

MQA have replied to this, so make sure you listen to their reply as well before you make up your mind.

Comment

Their reply has been replied to also

My response to the MQA "Bob Talks" post regarding my deep dive video.UPDATE: MQA has not yet responded to the request for encoding of natural sound files.UPD...
          sigpic
          Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

But i really have to respect the energy how coordinated MQA shills still spread the nonsense about lazy filtering and lousy upsampling is superiour because Bob says so.
            The climax obviously are MQA CDs
            Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

There are two VERY extensive threads at pinkfishmedia about it
              And Radio Paradise uses it now
              Last edited by Zombie; 2021-08-21, 18:28.

Comment

I think with the advent of HiRes FLAC streaming MQA is a solution without a problem
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff07971 View Post
                  I think with the advent of HiRes FLAC streaming MQA is a solution without a problem
                  Even with CD quality FLAC streaming [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                  Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                  Bedroom: Radio
                  Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie View Post
                    There are two VERY extensive threads at pinkfishmedia about it
                    And Radio Paradise uses it now
                    How one wonders? There isn’t that much pre encoded stuff available is there? Is it the same playlist as main mix?
                    Jim
                    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                    Dining Room SB Radio
                    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
                      How one wonders? There isn’t that much pre encoded stuff available is there? Is it the same playlist as main mix?
                      I've not heard the MQA Radio Paradise stream but as the MQA process can be applied to Albums in a "batch process" I guess that this is done to the stream.

Or, as Tidal is applying this "Batch Process" to all CD files it supplies, perhaps RP just uses that "converted" playlist

Or something

ronnie

Comment

Originally posted by Man in a van View Post
                        I've not heard the MQA Radio Paradise stream but as the MQA process can be applied to Albums in a "batch process" I guess that this is done to the stream.

Or, as Tidal is applying this "Batch Process" to all CD files it supplies, perhaps RP just uses that "converted" playlist

Or something

ronnie
                        Kinda puts the lie to the "authenticated" part of MQA, doesn't it? No involvement whatsoever by the original musicians or mastering engineers in an automated batch process...
                        piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

Comment

There are three 'folds' IIRC that MQA makes to the file, two of which can be unfolded by software and the third fold requires MQA hardware.

It is a solution to a problem that really no longer exists for most of us - they were trying (in 2013) to reduce the size of high quality files like FLAC so they could be streamed over limited bandwidth internet connections. A strreamed FLAC file probably runs to 5Mbps maximum so for most homes today with fibre broadband there is no need to bother with MQA, just stream lossless.

They claim MQA improves the sound even though it is a lossy format and it could be the final result sounds better to some ears, hence the controversy.
                          Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
                          Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
                          Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
                          Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
                          Shed: Radio
                          Workshop: Boom
                          Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
                          Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

Originally posted by Man in a van View Post

Or something

ronnie
                            So after they apply the MQA process to an album it miraculously sounds better I suppose. Or it sounds worse until you play it back on an MQA certified DAC to make it sound exactly the same as it did before [emoji3]

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                            Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
                              So they apply the MQA process to an album

I have to say that this is whot I read ont'interweb

But it make sense that it has to be a process similar to this, as doing a remix using the real, original master for each Album would be / is a time consuming process. If the masters still exist, can be located, still play

ronnie

Comment

Working...
                              X