MQA is apparently a hoax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heuer View Post
    There are three 'folds' IIRC that MQA makes to the file, two of which can be unfolded by software and the third fold requires MQA hardware.

It is a solution to a problem that really no longer exists for most of us - they were trying (in 2013) to reduce the size of high quality files like FLAC so they could be streamed over limited bandwidth internet connections. A strreamed FLAC file probably runs to 5Mbps maximum so for most homes today with fibre broadband there is no need to bother with MQA, just stream lossless.

They claim MQA improves the sound even though it is a lossy format and it could be the final result sounds better to some ears, hence the controversy.
    I think one of the drivers for MQA is harvesting licensing revenue at various stages of the MQA encoding/decoding process...

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
      I think one of the drivers for MQA is harvesting licensing revenue at various stages of the MQA encoding/decoding process...

Robert
      That must be the only driver. Nothing else makes sense. Has anyone said MQA is better than lossless?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
      Bedroom: Radio
      Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post
        That must be the only driver. Nothing else makes sense. Has anyone said MQA is better than lossless?

MQA Themselves !

Is MQA lossless? Yes. MQA comes in a lossless file from the rights owner, most often the music label, so you get exactly what was intended.

sigpic
        Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff07971 View Post
          MQA Themselves !

Is MQA lossless? Yes. MQA comes in a lossless file from the rights owner, most often the music label, so you get exactly what was intended.

Where's Mandy Rice-Davies when she's needed

Comment

Originally posted by Man in a van View Post
            Brilliant
            Jim
            https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
            Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
            Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
            Dining Room SB Radio
            Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
            Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
            Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

I’m actually quite surprised that RP have gone that route or am I? One of his biggest costs must be server hosting and connectivity. If he streams in compressed format then his bandwidth usage - it’s usually charged in and out - is significantly less or would be if people were to stream MQA instead of FLAC.

Personally I think MQA is a fraud and arguably the unfolding results in a non lossless piece of data and is therefore inferior.

As an end user we pay a flat monthly fee for our internet connection no matter how much bandwidth we use. Not the same for those that do the hosting.
              Jim
              https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
              Dining Room SB Radio
              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
              Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
                Brilliant
                I had to Google it but I agree [emoji3]

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                Bedroom: Radio
                Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Man in a van View Post
                  Yup !
                  sigpic
                  Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

Working...
                  X