Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stream LMS remotely (internet/data, not on home network) to android phone

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    stream LMS remotely (internet/data, not on home network) to android phone

    Hi-
    Sorry if this is covered, but I did several searches and couldn't find an answer.
    Is there a way to stream music from my LMS server to my phone when I'm away from home - i.e. not on the home network with my LMS server? In other words over internet/data?
    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Isol Line conditioner/protection. iFi AC iPurifiers>CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS >Kii Control>Kii Three speakers.iFi iOne+ Schiit Freya Pre for analog. An SB Touch, Duet Controller, a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator in additional rooms.

    #2
    VPN to your home network and player software on your phone (e.g. on Android, SB Player).

    Originally posted by firedog View Post
    Hi-
    Sorry if this is covered, but I did several searches and couldn't find an answer.
    Is there a way to stream music from my LMS server to my phone when I'm away from home - i.e. not on the home network with my LMS server? In other words over internet/data?

    Comment


      #3
      By coincidence this came up yesterday

      Paul Webster
      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

      Comment


        #4
        What's the point? I have 9500 tracks with sufficient quality on an SD card in my phone. Also use it in the car through Bluetooth. No need to complicate things.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Paul Webster View Post
          By coincidence this came up yesterday

          https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...53#post1065953
          thanks, I will try that.
          GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Isol Line conditioner/protection. iFi AC iPurifiers>CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS >Kii Control>Kii Three speakers.iFi iOne+ Schiit Freya Pre for analog. An SB Touch, Duet Controller, a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator in additional rooms.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Zombie View Post
            What's the point? I have 9500 tracks with sufficient quality on an SD card in my phone. Also use it in the car through Bluetooth. No need to complicate things.
            What's the point of your response?
            It in no way answers my question or helps me.

            Guess what? Not everyone uses devices or has the same needs and desires as you. Shocking, isn't it?

            And you know what else? My phone doesn't have an SD slot - just like lots of phones.

            Any more useful suggestions?
            GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Isol Line conditioner/protection. iFi AC iPurifiers>CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS >Kii Control>Kii Three speakers.iFi iOne+ Schiit Freya Pre for analog. An SB Touch, Duet Controller, a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator in additional rooms.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by firedog View Post
              What's the point of your response?
              It in no way answers my question or helps me.

              Guess what? Not everyone uses devices or has the same needs and desires as you. Shocking, isn't it?

              And you know what else? My phone doesn't have an SD slot - just like lots of phones.

              Any more useful suggestions?
              Hopefully this will be seen as a helpful suggestion - I used to use a VPN connection to stream to my workplace, but had some significant issues with it.

              What I ended up doing was to make a tiny portable server with a Raspberry Pi Nano version 2 and a 2Tb SSD drive, small, portable, and can be used as a standalone device not needing to connect to a wifi network (but of course it can do).

              Another approach I've used, since I usually travel with my laptop, is to have LMS on the laptop and just carry a portable hard drive copy of the library.

              Robert
              Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
              Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
              2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
              Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
              Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by firedog View Post
                What's the point of your response?
                Any more useful suggestions?
                The point was to show you a much simpler solution than to fiddle with VPN etc. and expose your server.
                You ask for a quite advanced solution and then play the luddite card that you have no SD card in your phone...get a modern smartphone. Problem solved.
                Last edited by Zombie; 2022-11-28, 19:20.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Zombie View Post
                  The point was to show you a much simpler solution than to fiddle with VPN etc. and expose your server.
                  You ask for a quite advanced solution and then play the luddite card that you have no SD card in your phone...get a modern smartphone. Problem solved.
                  Not all modern smart phones have an SD card slot, such as the iPhone.

                  The point is if there is sufficient storage space, transferring songs to your phone would eliminate the need for a more complex VPN setup and using mobile data. I use this method to listen to my music in the car and it is useful when not in mobile phone coverage. It does not have my entire collection, but more than enough to keep me happy.

                  Paul

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Zombie View Post
                    The point was to show you a much simpler solution than to fiddle with VPN etc. and expose your server.
                    You ask for a quite advanced solution and then play the luddite card that you have no SD card in your phone...get a modern smartphone. Problem solved.
                    Really? Is a Samsung S22 Ultra modern enough for you?
                    Do you participate at forums in order to give unhelpful arrogant answers? And the irony is that you actually show ignorance: "modern phones have SD cards" couldn't be more wrong.
                    Last edited by firedog; 2022-11-29, 06:47.
                    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Isol Line conditioner/protection. iFi AC iPurifiers>CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS >Kii Control>Kii Three speakers.iFi iOne+ Schiit Freya Pre for analog. An SB Touch, Duet Controller, a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator in additional rooms.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by firedog View Post
                      modern phones have SD cards
                      I'm not interested in anything Apple. Tax-evading and ripping their users off.
                      So, yes I am ignorant.
                      My suggestion still stands as the easiest and best: Get a modern smartphone with a 128 GB SD card and copy thousands of tracks onto it. Problem solved.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Zombie View Post
                        I'm not interested in anything Apple. Tax-evading and ripping their users off.
                        So, yes I am ignorant.
                        My suggestion still stands as the easiest and best: Get a modern smartphone with a 128 GB SD card and copy thousands of tracks onto it. Problem solved.
                        To be fair it isn't just Apple that don't have SD cards. Same for Pixels and Samsungs. Old Samsungs on the other hand did take SD cards (and had easily replaceable batteries).

                        Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                        Bedroom: Radio
                        Bathroom: Radio

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X