Browsing from Sonos and streaming to Roon Ready Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsing from Sonos and streaming to Roon Ready Devices

With the UPnPBridge, CastBridge and AirPlay Bridge, I am able to use LMS to stream to most devices at home. Thanks Philippe and everyone else who supports this wonderful community. As the title suggests, I have 2 questions:

1) I can stream to Sonos using both the UPnPBridge and the AirPlay Bridge, but I can't browse LMS from Sonos (which would be nice to have, though not a deal breaker in any way). Subsonic and a few other media servers (Plex?) have the ability to be browsed from Sonos controllers. Can this functionality be added to the UPnPBridge or a separate Sonos plugin?

2) While everyone seems to be drooling over Roon, I don't see any great advantage of Roon over LMS with all the plugins installed. I can stream from all the services I care about, I can stream to most devices at home, and I've been using MusicIP integration for as long as I can remember, and I certainly don't think think Roon sounds better in any way. That said, there are an increasing number of devices that are Roon Ready, and it would be nice to be able to stream to them straight from LMS. Would it be possible to build an LMS plugin to stream to RoonReady devices, using the RAAT protocol?

TIA,

N

Originally posted by Nikhil View Post
    With the UPnPBridge, CastBridge and AirPlay Bridge, I am able to use LMS to stream to most devices at home. Thanks Philippe and everyone else who supports this wonderful community. As the title suggests, I have 2 questions:

1) I can stream to Sonos using both the UPnPBridge and the AirPlay Bridge, but I can't browse LMS from Sonos (which would be nice to have, though not a deal breaker in any way). Subsonic and a few other media servers (Plex?) have the ability to be browsed from Sonos controllers. Can this functionality be added to the UPnPBridge or a separate Sonos plugin?

2) While everyone seems to be drooling over Roon, I don't see any great advantage of Roon over LMS with all the plugins installed. I can stream from all the services I care about, I can stream to most devices at home, and I've been using MusicIP integration for as long as I can remember, and I certainly don't think think Roon sounds better in any way. That said, there are an increasing number of devices that are Roon Ready, and it would be nice to be able to stream to them straight from LMS. Would it be possible to build an LMS plugin to stream to RoonReady devices, using the RAAT protocol?

TIA,

N
    I think the UPnP/DNLA media interface plugin should allow you to browse LMS from Sonos.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
    Bedroom: Radio
    Bathroom: Radio

Comment

As far as I can tell, it doesn't. But I'm happy to stand corrected if there are some settings within LMS or the ability to add LMS as a service from within Sonos, to enable this.

Comment

Just to double-check ...
        there are two different UPnP plugins and they do different things.
        They are "UPnP/DLNA Bridge" and "UPnP/DLNA Media Interface".

Do you have them both installed?
        Paul Webster
        Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
        and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Answering the Roon question. AFAIK the RAAT protocol is proprietory - you would need to be given access to the code by Roon and that would come at a cost.
          Jim
          https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
          Dining Room SB Radio
          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
          Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Yes, I have both Andy's original UPnP plugin and Philippe's newer UPnP Bridge installed. I also have the 'show UPnP media servers' enabled within Sonos. But I don't see any place where I can browse for UPnP servers. I don't know if some ports need to be open on the LMS instrument though.

Again this is not a huge deal because I can browse using the LMS web interface and the SqueezeBox apps on my Mobile Devices, but it would be nice to be able to see LMS from Sonos as well.

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
              Answering the Roon question. AFAIK the RAAT protocol is proprietory - you would need to be given access to the code by Roon and that would come at a cost.
              I see. One can only wish.

Are Airplay and Chromecast also not similarly proprietary or have those protocols been published so 3rd party developers can make servers, renderers and clients?

Comment

I see. One can only wish.

Are Airplay and Chromecast also not similarly proprietary or have those protocols been published so 3rd party developers can make servers, renderers and clients?
                A hardware manufacturer has to pay for the inclusion of the official software. However AirPlay has been reverse engineered with unofficial code available. Not sure about Chromecast. Philippe is the man to ask.
                Jim
                https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                Dining Room SB Radio
                Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Yes, I have both Andy's original UPnP plugin and Philippe's newer UPnP Bridge installed. I also have the 'show UPnP media servers' enabled within Sonos. But I don't see any place where I can browse for UPnP servers. I don't know if some ports need to be open on the LMS instrument though.

Again this is not a huge deal because I can browse using the LMS web interface and the SqueezeBox apps on my Mobile Devices, but it would be nice to be able to see LMS from Sonos as well.
                  was anyone able to make this work?
                  LMS 8.2 on QNAP Ts-h1886XU-RP R2
                  8 wired Touch End Points plus Transporter
                  Jolida Tube DAC III
                  Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
                  Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Comment

Working...
                  X