Synology Docker LMS Step by Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikesquid View Post
    Not exactly sure where to post this… apologies if my aim is off.
    Running Logitech Media Server 8.2.1 via Docker on a Synology DSM 7.x box.
    All works fine, but although it can find playlists it can’t seem to save them or update one after loading/removing a song. No errors other than this within LMS:[22-09-12 08:40:40.4446] Slim::Formats::Playlists::Base::_filehandleFromNam eOrString (86) Error: Could’t open /playlist/60’s.m3u for writing.

I realize it’s a permissions issue, I just don’t know where/how to fix.
    Within Docker the PUID is assigned to an admin account. PGID 100. The playlists volume mount path is rw.
    Within DSM shared folder - Permmision for the mapped user is rw, the admin group as well, http has no access and users are RO. There are no NFS permissions set for the volume.
    I’m missing something, but no idea what. Any nudge in the right direction much appreciated!
    Hmm ... your description looks all fine to me so not really sure what to advise.

I would probably check if your playlist folder is not inside music folder which is mapped as RO
    (That's just wild guess not sure if that's relevant at all)

Also maybe try changing Docker folder owner from 'nobody' to your 'admin' account..

Other then that maybe try setup again from scratch to eliminate gremlins ;p

Sorry I can't be more helpful and good luck

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaca View Post
      Hmm ... your description looks all fine to me so not really sure what to advise.

playlist folder is not inside music folder which is mapped as RO
      changing Docker folder owner from 'nobody' to your 'admin' account..
      Thanks for the ideas... folder is outside but same level as music - i.e. /media/music /media/playlists
      Docker owner is setup as an admin acct, there is no nobody...

In the end I did figure it out... i think. So in case it helps someone else, The PUID AND PGID both have to be admin, I had 100(users) as the PGID, changing that to 101(admin) and a restart and now it's groovy baby. my 60's playlist got updated.

Comment

Thank you to the community, Jaca and Carlos for their descriptions of how to install LMS on Docker. I updated my Synology DS 6.2 to 7.1 today (Synology had about 15 v. 7 updates since my last DSM upgrade) and so it was time to go for a Docker solution.

With kind regards,
        Claus

Comment

Now that LMS 8.3.0 (8.3.1 already!) is out, I'd like to update my Docker image file.
          Per Jaca's instructions you download the new image from the Image tab, but I only have Launch - Add - Delete - Export, no option to download.
          This is what works for me (almost follows Jaca's instructions as per Michael Herger):

Open the Docker app.
          1. In Registry tab - Search 'lms' and it should be the first hit.
          2. Click download and select the version you wish to download (in my case the 'stable' version = latest build of the stable branch)
          3. In Container tab - select Action => Stop
          - Action => Reset, you will be warned it deletes all settings, accept and continue.
          - Action => Start

Now LMS 8.3.1 is running. It was upgraded from 8.2.1.
          Is there any cleanup that one should do? For example, does the files from the previous container disappear?

Initially in FileStation I was able to specify owner = nobody of the /config directory (/docker/lms).
          With this setup, LMS was unable to complete a scan of my music library but halts when Pre-caching Artwork, it doesn't reach beyond 0 out of 548.
          Changing owner to the administrator account made it work.

Best regards,
          Claus

Comment

Here's a small add-on comment. When I updated LMS, my settings were reverted to default values.

One of my beloved features is that LMS can show 'Random Album' picks, where a list of 50 albums are randomly selected and shown.
            I love it because I regularly get to listen to music I haven't thought about for a while.
            To re-enable the feature:
            LMS => Server Settings => Player => piCorePlayer (in my case) => Additional Browse Modes => Random Albums (check)

Best regards,
            Claus

Comment

Originally posted by mherger View Post
              >Did you set up your container correctly? In particular did you correctly
              configure the path where to store the settings, caches etc.? This must
              be outside the container, or you'll loose content whenever you update.
              Probably not. I have followed the instructions by Jaca and Carlos and /config is set to the /docker/lms directory.
              Please let me know how to setup where settings are stored.

Best regards,
              Claus

Comment

Originally posted by cfuttrup View Post
                Probably not. I have followed the instructions by Jaca and Carlos and /config is set to the /docker/lms directory.
                Please let me know how to setup where settings are stored.

Best regards,
                Claus
                Hey Claus,

That's strange as I performed many updates using this method and all my settings were always intact.

I remember initially I was also backing up whole folder (the one mapped to /config .. Or As per above message /docker/LMS) just in case, but never experienced problems or needed to actually restore it.

Not entirely sure what to suggests.

Upon container RESET content of my /config (in my case /docker/LMS) is never deleted.

Sorry I'm not much help :/

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
                3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

Hi Jaca

Thanks for your input. It is still helpful because I then assume my setup is correct, and maybe we conclude it was a 'fluke' of some sort - you know - computers do not always behave in a logical way (or to put it differently: shit happens).

/Claus

Comment

In terms of lms docker on Synology and updates I tend to use a docker-compose file below setup in a Portainer stack:

version: "3.8"
                    services:
                    logitech-media-server:
                    image: lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
                    container_name: logitech-media-server
                    environment:
                    - PUID=1029 # docker
                    - PGID=100 # users
                    - TZ=Europe/London
                    - HTTP_PORT=9002
                    - LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
                    - LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8
                    volumes:
                    - /volume1/docker/lms:/config:rw
                    - /volume1/music/Lossless:/music:ro
                    - /volume1/music/Playlists:/playlist:rw
                    - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
                    - /etc/TZ:/etc/TZ:ro
                    ports:
                    - 9002:9002/tcp #web port
                    - 9090:9090/tcp
                    - 3483:3483/tcp
                    - 3483:3483/udp
                    network_mode: synobridge
                    labels:
                    - 'wud.tag.include=stable'
                    - 'wud.watch.digest=true'
                    - 'wud.link.template=http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/$${major}.$${minor}/Changelog$${major}.html'
                    restart: unless-stopped

I use what's Up Docker (WUD) to notify me of version updates.
                    Then manually use Portainer to update the container (if you want you can WUD to trigger an automatic update or Watchtower)

Hopefully this answers the question earlier in the thread on how to manage updates of the docker container.

Comment

Oh I used this guide as the original basis for my LMS setup https://wiki.condrau.com/syno:docker

Comment

Working...
                      X