Asus Vivobook Flip as LMS Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Vivobook Flip as LMS Player

Using Asus Vivobook Flip 11.6 inch as a Squeezebox Player.

The goal here was to get a large touchscreen device setup as a player and for it to not look home-made (by me!). I have had some raspberry pi based players and whilst they function OK. They aren't that living room friendly.

With this in mind I bought an Asus Vivobook flip which has an 11.6 inch touchscreen and can be pivoted so that the keyboard acts as a stand with the keys out of sight. The unit is fan-less and comes pre-installed with windows 10 pro for 179 GBP.

What follows is a vast simplification of my steps, as many approaches did not work or were improved on with experimentation.

Objectives

Must haves
    • Use Material skin as front-end
    • Touch screen to be fully operational
    • Boot straight to front end, no logins or application selection. i.e. switch on wait a minute and play music
    • Music Player to be available and selected as default for Front end. i.e. local player must be available when the front-end
    • USB DAC with bit perfect setup

Should haves
    • Should behave like a device rather than a laptop, this means
    • customising background desktops
    • customising user image
    • starting application full-screen
    • configuring material skin to be appealing
    • Minimise boot up time
    • Minimise time starting at the desktop whilst Front-end starts.

Originally I had intended to install Linux mint on it as this boots up faster and I would not get clobbered by unplanned Windows updates, but could only get this working via a USB drive. So I reverted back to Windows.

Create a login with admin rights - in this case I created a local account with a password.
    Create a login with no password. I called this account Music.
    Plugin the DAC

Download and install USB Driver for my DAC. I have a Sabaj A20d 2022 and it uses an XMOS driver.
    - I needed to download 7zip from the Microsoft Play store, I ignored prompts to login with a microsoft account.
    - I then ran the installer and rebooted

Test
    • Open control panel and select hardware and sound -> manage audio devices
    • Select your USB Dac and then properties.
      [
      *] I set levels to 100%
    • advance 2 channel 24 bit and 44100 Hz
    • Enable both checkboxes under exclusive mode
    • Enable audio enhancements under signal enhancements (I think this is important for ausynchronous USB Dacs to detect the sample rate)
    • Download and install Squeezelite-X from Microsoft Play Store on my admin account. This is for testing purposes, I was prompted to install an additional library when I opened the app. Ignore all prompts to login with a microsoft account, it still works OK.
    • Open Squeezelite-X, do the usual setup for server, for the player select the ASIO option vs your USB DAC.
    • Try playing music at different sample rates, and see if your DAC displays these correctly.
    • If the above doesn't work then using Direct Sound vs your USB DAC is a fallback. Note that this will resample to the rate set in the control panel, so you might want to bump this up if you have a lot of high-res.

vs Music Account
    1. Now you want to sign-out and Open your Music account - the one without a password.
    2. Repeat these steps - note some steps will require you to enter the password for your admin account
    3. Open control panel and select hardware and sound -> manage audio devices
    4. Select your USB Dac and then properties.
    5. I set levels to 100%
    6. advance 2 channel 24 bit and 44100 Hz
    7. Enable both checkboxes under exclusive mode
    8. Enable audio enhancements under signal enhancements (I think this is important for ausynchronous USB Dacs to detect the sample rate)
    9. Download and install Squeezelite-X from Microsoft Play Store on my admin account. This is for testing purposes, I was prompted to install an additional library when I opened the app. Ignore all prompts to login with a microsoft account, it still works OK.
    10. Open Squeezelite-X, do the usual setup for server, for the player select the ASIO option vs your USB DAC.
    11. Try playing music at different sample rates, and see if your DAC displays these correctly.
    12. If the above doesn't work then using Direct Sound vs your USB DAC is a fallback. Note that this will resample to the rate set in the control panel, so you might want to bump this up if you have a lot of high-res.

Customisations
    Assuming you are hearing music and you are happy with the touchscreen capability of Squeezelite-x (It just worked for me), you now want to do a little customisation.
    • Create a local folder for this step. Mine was c:\music\squeezelite
    • write click and create a new short-cut. e.g. SLX
    • now right-click the shortcut and select properties
    • In the target field enter "explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\16237RGregDawson.Squeezelite-X_qhedj8x0bjmhg!SqueezeliteX"
    • (i.e the values inside the quotes)
    • Select Run Maximised - I am not convinced this makes a difference, but give it a go.
    • Save by pressing OK.

I suggest closing squeezelite-x down and try running the shortcut by double clicking it.
    Now copy the short-cut and paste it into your startup folder. This can be found by opening a new file-explorer and pasting shell:startup in the folder path.

Does it work
    Test by re-starting your flip book and it should automatically login and start squeezelite-x.
    You may need to maximise squeezelite-x in order for it to Open full screen.

Optimisations.
    Personalise the background of your music account - right click on the desktop and select personalise
    Background - choose a suitable background picture that will display when logged in
    Lock Screen - choose a suitable background that will display at the login prompt
    click on the account and change the account picture for something suitable.

Improve startup times
    Caution - don't do any of the steps below if you are happy with the startup times or if you are nervous about reversing the steps.

Enable fast start in bios - (this should be done by default, but just in case you have been fiddling around)

Decrease the Boot Menu Time-Out - by default windows can wait up to 30 seconds to allow you time to enter the bios menu. We can reduce this
    • Press the Windows + R Keys
    • Type in SystemPropertiesAdvanced
    • Click on Settings in Startup and Recovery
    • Change Time to display list of operating systems to 5 seconds (or whatever you think is more suitable.

By default windows waits 10 seconds before starting applications is the auto-start folder. This is to allow drivers, and essential services to start. Given that this is a minimal install we can reduce this time instructions here:
    Remove unnecessary programmes from startup (this can be done in task manager)

Disable any unnecessary services (Type Services in search bar).
    Last edited by foxesden; 2022-11-07, 21:47. Reason: removing white-space

I was reading all the good stuff and what popped into my head was Windows Kiosk mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I started taking a look at that as an approach, but the instructions were more complex than I was expecting, especially as you can't run an app-store app in kiosk mode (without hacks). So I decided not to go down that rabbit hole.

Comment

Working...
      X