Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiim Mini and Pro

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wiim Mini and Pro

    Wiim have a new forum at a new site, and the discussion about adding LMS/Squeezelite capability to its Mini (and forthcoming Pro) has been given a new thread there. Would be good if we added some more posts there to encourage Wiim to get on with this!


    #2
    I get a page not found with the link. I’ll logon there later and chime in. It would be nice to use these and get more of my family using LMS Will also convince my cousin and friends to not use Roon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      Done [emoji106]

      Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #4
        Threshold, this is the link, works for me...

        Moving this here from the thread at the old forum (https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/discussions/topics/72000741459?page=1) I quote cc, who started that: > There was a suggestion from Wiim Support that LMS was already useable via UPnP/DLNA, which is true, but using that is quite techy and...


        If not for you, go to...

        Community platform by XenForo®


        ...and look for the "LMS/Squeezelite Support Mini" thread.

        Comment


          #5
          A promising note from Support over at the WiiM Mini forum about implementing LMS:

          "Your suggestion on the Squeezelite is well noted. I'll raise it with our team and we should be able to support it via the software update. Please stay tuned!"

          Comment


            #6
            Squeezelite support is now on their roadmap, under “future updates”.

            piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by chicks View Post
              Squeezelite support is now on their roadmap, under “future updates”.

              https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap
              That’s encouraging even though it’s on the bottom of future enchantments. I hope the Roon integration doesn’t block implementing Squeezelite.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by threshold350 View Post
                That’s encouraging even though it’s on the bottom of future enchantments. I hope the Roon integration doesn’t block implementing Squeezelite.
                The Roon integration is necessary to get a recommendation from Amir at ASR, sadly, despite Roon's tiny user base.
                piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by threshold350 View Post
                  That’s encouraging even though it’s on the bottom of future enchantments. I hope the Roon integration doesn’t block implementing Squeezelite.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  The company has more to gain from supporting squeezelite than roon.

                  As Roon can already stream to squeezelite devices, the only gain is a Roon ready certification. And Since Roon is aimed mostly at audiophiles that do not care for the price, a 100$ streamer can easily be overlooked by Roon’s crowd.

                  However, seeing they’re also behind Arylic which offers a complete product listing for DIY and tinkerers, the match with Logitech Media Server makes more sens business-wise.

                  More so because Logitech Media Server has been proven quite stable, and many features could benefit their ecosystems (looking at you alarm clock!)

                  And many LMS users will be more than happy to integrate native devices in their setup.


                  Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gobuleberbu View Post
                    The company has more to gain from supporting squeezelite than roon.

                    As Roon can already stream to squeezelite devices, the only gain is a Roon ready certification. And Since Roon is aimed mostly at audiophiles that do not care for the price, a 100$ streamer can easily be overlooked by Roon’s crowd.

                    However, seeing they’re also behind Arylic which offers a complete product listing for DIY and tinkerers, the match with Logitech Media Server makes more sens business-wise.

                    More so because Logitech Media Server has been proven quite stable, and many features could benefit their ecosystems (looking at you alarm clock!)

                    And many LMS users will be more than happy to integrate native devices in their setup.


                    Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
                    I agree on that there is more audience to gain with LMS.

                    IMO, marketing ppl and most audiophiles view

                    Roon = Apple
                    LMS = Android


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by threshold350 View Post
                      I agree on that there is more audience to gain with LMS.

                      IMO, marketing ppl and most audiophiles view

                      Roon = Apple
                      LMS = Android


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      In all honesty, LMS is a well guarded secret. If it weren’t from Darko, I would never have fallen in this ecosystem.

                      At first glance, it looks like an outdated abandonware... but the truth is far from it. Material skin is a huge step forward, but don’t judge a book by its cover: lms is the best piece of software I’ve used in ages.

                      We might just need a decent portal and perhaps a certified Squeeze Ready program.


                      Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I picked up a WiiM Mini today to test with.
                        It works perfectly with Philippe's uPnPBridge - gapless, crossfade etc and metadata to the WiiM app.
                        My initial - less than one day - opinion is that it is better than a Dac32 or Digi32 mainly because it has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz capability. I found that the Dac/Digi couldn't cope with Qobuz 24/192 over 2.4Ghz This can.
                        The range of services it provides natively are very impressive.
                        If they add squeezelite which they say they will this is definitely one to watch.
                        Jim
                        https://jukeradio.double6.net


                        VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                        Dining Room SB Radio
                        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Gobuleberbu View Post
                          In all honesty, LMS is a well guarded secret. If it weren’t from Darko, I would never have fallen in this ecosystem.

                          At first glance, it looks like an outdated abandonware... but the truth is far from it. Material skin is a huge step forward, but don’t judge a book by its cover: lms is the best piece of software I’ve used in ages.

                          We might just need a decent portal and perhaps a certified Squeeze Ready program.


                          Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
                          Just don't tell anybody!
                          Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.2
                          Router: Netgear R700P
                          File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
                          Music Service: Qobuz
                          Logitech Boom

                          Comment


                            #14
                            An update after a few days with the Mini. Testing on my 5Ghz WiFi.

                            First the on board DAC is ok but only ok. The optical out is however bit perfect up to 24/192 as far as I can make out. This is the recommended mode of usage.

                            Second. This is an Airplay 2 device but it does work with Philippe’s Airplay Bridge however I experienced some “drift” in channel volume and the occasional dropout. I have never had this with other Airplay devices albeit all my others are Airplay 1.

                            I tried using iPeng in player mode on my iPhone and playing out to the WiiM via Airplay. Something weird going on. There was audio but at a very low volume and heavily distorted. I gave up.

                            Using Phillipe’s uPnP bridge I was surprised to find that the WiiM just works! I’ve posted my settings in another thread. The bridge even passes coverart and metadata to the WiiM Home app ok. Using Material to control it is nice and snappy with play / pause etc responding like we are used to.

                            The list price on Amazon UK is £90 odd but I paid £76 via a Black Friday deal. If you can use this with its optical out then I’d say it’s a nice little player.

                            Is it better than a Pi? No probably not but actually it’s close and quite a bit cheaper when you factor in the price of a case, HAT etc. It is also much easier to set up being almost plug and play.

                            Is it better than a DAC 32 (or Digi 32 which is probably it’s nearer competitor)? Yes. Simply because it supports 5Ghz WiFi. I had major “choppy” issues with both DAC 32 and Digi 32 when playing Qobuz 24/192 to them on 2.4Ghz. So much so that they’ve been removed from my live system.

                            The WiiM Home app is interesting. It contains access to almost all of the major streaming services all in one place and includes some internet radio services plus the ability to add custom urls.

                            One of the Radio menu items is BBC Radio but it isn’t BBC Sounds so it will be interesting to see whether it survives Auntie’s announced cuts. In LMS mode this of course doesn’t really matter.

                            Interestingly it includes Amazon Music so the people at WiiM must have access to some API or other. The notable omission in this area is Apple Music. I don’t use it but I guess if you are wedded to Apple you can just Airplay your tunes from your iOS device to it.

                            Multi room is supported through three mechanisms. Airplay 2. Amazon / Alexa Echo and other WiiM devices but it looks like only the latter would work with LMS where one WiiM would connect to LMS and then sync that with other WiiM devices if required but I only have one WiiM so can’t test.

                            The underlying OS is a flavour of Linux and a native Squeezelite client is on their Roadmap but for some reason the WiiM people see gaining Roon certification as a higher priority.

                            I noted the other day that Roon’s website claims “Over 100,00 users ….” If you make a statement in such terms then the real numbers can’t be much over that number. If it was 150,000 then that’s the number you’d state. Michael has always been a bit reticent in estimating a number for LMS users but my instinct thinks we may actually outnumber our Roon compatriots. If we do we should push to be higher up the list.

                            Back to the WiiM Mini. There is an Aux In which can be sent to synced devices eg streaming Turntable audio etc

                            The Pro version will add Ethernet, an Optical In (TV?) and a Coaxial out plus Chromecast built in.

                            This is definitely a device to keep an eye on.
                            Jim
                            https://jukeradio.double6.net


                            VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                            Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                            Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
                            Dining Room SB Radio
                            Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                            Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                            Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Since it’s Linux based, it would be interesting if ssh was left open so we could install squeeezelite ourselves.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X