No announcement yet.

Wiim Mini and Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything about the WiiM and Linkplay can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...treamer.31182/

The reason Roon is significant is this review:

This is a review and detailed measurements of the WiiM Mini Wifi/Bluetooth streamer. It is on kind loan from a member and is on sale on Amazon for US $89. As you can see the former factor is a "hockey puck." An included phone charger needs to be used to power the unit over USB-C. It did not...

Amir’s site has overtaken even Stereophile in views. His reviews are, thankfully, mostly objective, but he is obsessed with Roon.
    piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

Comment

I just recommended this to a friend who is looking for a Sonos replacement. I’ll eventually hook him up with LMS. He liked Material skin and how he can use his tv as a now playing. Our idea is to setup a few bluetooth speakers hidden away around his living, family and dining room. Where he has the Wiim player, it will be connected to his main system using his Peachtree dac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m going to have to downgrade my views on this slightly.

It works perfectly via optical with what I think are the default settings for UpnpBridge when playing local music or internet radio. In this scenario the WiiM will play whatever codec/resolution you throw at it up to the capability on the device it’s plugged into.

However it seems I ignored Qobuz during my initial round of testing. In default mode it doesn’t play the next track. Despite some fiddling I could only sort this by initiating transcoding with flow mode. Now plays perfectly but 24/96 and 24/192 is of course transcoded to 16/44.1 and there is no metadata only “streaming from LMS”. I don’t think the lack of metadata is at all a problem as if you are using from LMS you’d be controlling with Material not the WiiM app. The lack of HiRes would be an issue for many.

I really hope they add Squeezelite it would then be a perfect alternative to a Pi + HAT
        Last edited by d6jg; 2022-11-26, 12:45.
        Jim
        https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
        Dining Room SB Radio
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Originally posted by chicks View Post
          Everything about the WiiM and Linkplay can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...treamer.31182/

The reason Roon is significant is this review:

This is a review and detailed measurements of the WiiM Mini Wifi/Bluetooth streamer. It is on kind loan from a member and is on sale on Amazon for US $89. As you can see the former factor is a "hockey puck." An included phone charger needs to be used to power the unit over USB-C. It did not...

Amir’s site has overtaken even Stereophile in views. His reviews are, thankfully, mostly objective, but he is obsessed with Roon.
          Somebody send Amir a Touch to play with!
          Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.2
          Router: Netgear R700P
          File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
          Music Service: Qobuz
          Logitech Boom

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
            I’m going to have to downgrade my views on this slightly.

It works perfectly via optical with what I think are the default settings for UpnpBridge when playing local music or internet radio. In this scenario the WiiM will play whatever codec/resolution you throw at it up to the capability on the device it’s plugged into.

However it seems I ignored Qobuz during my initial round of testing. In default mode it doesn’t play the next track. Despite some fiddling I could only sort this by initiating transcoding with flow mode. Now plays perfectly but 24/96 and 24/192 is of course transcoded to 16/44.1 and there is no metadata only “streaming from LMS”. I don’t think the lack of metadata is at all a problem as if you are using from LMS you’d be controlling with Material not the WiiM app. The lack of HiRes would be an issue for many.

I really hope they add Squeezelite it would then be a perfect alternative to a Pi + HAT
            I'm still waiting for the Pro, but I'd want to run Qobuz on it, so this is troubling news. Have you asked WiiM if that's expected behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by whitman View Post
              I'm still waiting for the Pro, but I'd want to run Qobuz on it, so this is troubling news. Have you asked WiiM if that's expected behaviour?
              I’m talking about Qobuz via LMS and uPnP Bridge. It’s fine using the native client.

uPnP is a crap protocol. The WiiM is the best I’ve found so far.
              Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

By native client do you mean Qobuz's own app? Played how to WiiM?

Comment

Originally posted by whitman View Post
                  By native client do you mean Qobuz's own app? Played how to WiiM?
                  No I mean the WiiM App
                  Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

Got it! Sorry for being dim...

Comment

Over at the WiiM forum they've just posted this update on LMS/Squeezelite implementation, which bodes well:

"We'll raise this with our team. Our current plan is to work on this after we complete the "Roon Ready" effort and hope to get it done in the Q1, 23. We'll see if we can get it released earlier. Please stay tuned!"

Comment

Can/how do you play local files from an SSD on these things?
                        Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.2
                        Router: Netgear R700P
                        File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
                        Music Service: Qobuz
                        Logitech Boom

Comment

Originally posted by Fahzz View Post
                          Can/how do you play local files from an SSD on these things?
                          You can’t directly.
                          It sees upnp servers on your network where of course the files could be stored on SSD.
                          Same will apply when they add Squeezelite
                          Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

Good news it appears.

An update to uPnP/DLNA Bridge has appeared.

After installing this appeared to break the WiiM Mini's ability to play Qobuz - I had reported earlier that it needed the bridge to be set up in Flow mode for Qobuz to work.
                            With these original flow mode settings tracks did not automatically advance - which was exactly the reason why flow mode was ON in the first place.
                            I turned off flow mode just to see and bingo it works!
                            This also means that Qobuz is now at full throttle (24/192) and the bridge passes metadata to the WiiM App!
                            In flow mode it was 16/44.1 and no metadata.

This means that the WiiM Mini works perfectly as a SB player in conjunction with the latest uPnP/DLNA Bridge with zero additional configuration as far as my use case is concerned.

I have tested with

Local files
                            Qobuz
                            Spotify
                            Radio Paradise

All work and pass metadata to the WiiM App.

BBC Sounds, Virgin Radio & Radio Now Playing - all work but have limited metadata passed to the WiiM App.

I can't recommend the onboard DAC but the Optical out is excellent.

EDIT.
                            Following many changes to uPnPBridge in last few days I can report 2.1.8 works but now requires Flow again to achieve gapless.

EDIT 13/12/2022
                            uPnPBridge at 2.1.10. Still requires Flow for gapless but otherwise fully works with no other config change.

EDIT 01/2023
                            UPnP/DLNA Bridge 2.1.11. Fully working without Flow mode being required.
                            Last edited by d6jg; 2023-01-05, 11:48.
                            Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post
                              This means that the WiiM Mini works perfectly as a SB player in conjunction with the latest uPnP/DLNA Bridge with zero additional configuration as far as my use case is concerned.
                              I installed the uPnP/DLNA Bridge but I'm lost. I know Phillipe has a rather detailed and robust setup guide, but has anyone come up with any quick and dirty setup list for when you have LMS installed on Windows 10?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kwolter View Post
                                I installed the uPnP/DLNA Bridge but I'm lost. I know Phillipe has a rather detailed and robust setup guide, but has anyone come up with any quick and dirty setup list for when you have LMS installed on Windows 10?
                                In a "typical" simple set-up there is nothing to do.
                                If you do not see your UPnP-AV device being listed as a player in LMS then go to the plugin settings page and check to see if the plugin is running (top of the page).
                                If it is not, and you are running on Windows (as you are) then you might have to install some Windows modules - there is a link at the top of the page.
                                Paul Webster
                                Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                                and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X