Squeezeplay now under BSD License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeezeplay now under BSD License

It is with great pleasure that I am announcing that we've gained final approval for changing Squeezeplay to be licensed under BSD.

I'm checking in the changes to the files right now on the 7.4/trunk branch, and will pull them up the ladder to 7.5 following that.

This is a big victory for us, and want to thank Andy, Michael, our past leader Matt Cuson, as well as several others that didn't give up on pressing for this approval.

I want to emphasize that we have a long way to go in building/rebuilding our 3rd party development community, and I've been having some discussions offline with some of you on how to strengthen that. I'm also getting some positive indications (really) from our new management that they are indeed interested in not only embracing 3rd party development but to doing it right. To do this right will take time and effort, and that's not going to happen until Squeezebox Touch is on the market. So for now I'd like for all to be cautiously optimistic. And patient.

On this particular issue however, the BSD license for Squeezeplay, I pressed (and pressed and pressed) that it was a critical olive branch worth doing immediately, and I really feel it's cause for celebration that this finally got approved.

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Well done Ben, I really didn't think that would happen. So I for one see that as a very good sign.

Comment

+1
      Congratulations, !
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
      Bedroom/Office: Boom
      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Congratulations,

one small step for man, giant leap for ...
        Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
        Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
        Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
        Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Comment

Bravo.
          2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

Rock n' Roll!

Well done Ben and the team. It is great to have some good news on this front.
            Congratulations indeed!
            Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
            Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
            And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

I think this is good news, that should restore faith in the productline for many users.
              BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Comment

Originally posted by bklaas View Post
                This is a big victory for us, and want to thank Andy, Michael, our past leader Matt Cuson, as well as several others that didn't give up on pressing for this approval.
                Congratulations. That's great news! And thanks to all of you for not giving up on this.
                I'm also getting some positive indications (really) from our new management that they are indeed interested in not only embracing 3rd party development but to doing it right.
                This is just as good news!

One more thing regarding the license:
                I understand that there are parts of the code that you can't sub-license so it will still not be possible to redistribute whole builds of SqueezePlay.
                For this reason: would it be possible to build SP, especially for the devices (Touch, Radio, Controller) in a way that you can distribute the "Core" with the 3rd party licenses separately from the higher level stuff that is purely Logitech (mainly the UI part)?
                This would making distributing modified versions of SP much easier since you could distribute not only add-ons but also changed versions.

This especially applies to the firmware update process. It would be good to have a way to not overwrite changes in the higher level part when updating the low-level stuff.

I understand this is not something we'll see for 7.5.0.
                ---
                learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                at penguinlovesmusic.com
                New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

Well Done

both to Logitech for seeing the light and Ben for perservering.

let's look forward to both the Touch and more collaboration afterwards.
                  2 * SB3, 1 * Boom, 2 * Radio and 1 * Touch
                  controlled by IR, SBC [and iPeng on iPhone]
                  7.5.4 r32171 on WHS on HP MediaSmart (EX470) upgraded to 2G RAM
                  http://www.last.fm/user/digimich

Comment

+1 here. I suspect an awful lot of effort went into this behind the scenes, which is appreciated (even by those of us who don't develop but just try hard to break things at the beta stage).
                    Who am I on LAST.FM?
                    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

To do this right will take time and effort, and that's not going to happen until Squeezebox Touch is on the market.
                      You make that sound so far away
                      Boom - Controller - Touch - Radio

Comment

It is with great pleasure that I am announcing that we've gained final approval for changing Squeezeplay to be licensed under BSD.
                        This is good news, definitely a big step in the right direction for Logitech.

I want to emphasize that we have a long way to go in building/rebuilding our 3rd party development community, and I've been having some discussions offline with some of you on how to strengthen that. I'm also getting some positive indications (really) from our new management that they are indeed interested in not only embracing 3rd party development but to doing it right. To do this right will take time and effort, and that's not going to happen until Squeezebox Touch is on the market.
                        And this is even better, really good news.
                        It's still a long way to go, but just going public with this indication is a big step in the right direction.

Time for celebration, let's make some applets...
                        Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                        Developer of many plugins/applets
                        Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

Indeed good news(*) ... (the license change & upcoming improved 3rd party development support). thanks to all who made it possible, SlimDevices aehm, Logitech deserves it!

kind regards,
                          Markus

(*)For me the best news in the last months...

Comment

Distributing binaries

Originally posted by pippin View Post
                            I understand that there are parts of the code that you can't sub-license so it will still not be possible to redistribute whole builds of SqueezePlay.
                            Which parts are those? I had a quick look at the third-party stuff included with the SqueezePlay source and it all seems distributable.

Freefont, libmad and freetype are licensed under the GPL, all SDL-related things use the LGPL, the Xiph.org codecs use the BSD license, zlib123 and libpng use the zlib license (which is a free software license), PortAudio and most Lua-related packages use the MIT license, and the remaining (InnoSetup, tolua++, libjpeg and luamd5) all have licenses that permit modification and distribution.

So unless "BSD license for Squeezeplay" means "BSD license for some parts of Squeezeplay", both the Logitech code and the third-party code should be possible to distribute.

Or are you talking patent licenses? That shouldn't be a problem in Europe at least, as all software patents are luckily still invalid.

Comment

Originally posted by erland View Post
                              This is good news, definitely a big step in the right direction for Logitech.

And this is even better, really good news.
                              It's still a long way to go, but just going public with this indication is a big step in the right direction.

Time for celebration, let's make some applets...
                              Does this imply some new applets from erland?

Comment

Working...
                              X