Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed up starting piCoreplayer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Speed up starting piCoreplayer

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 22:01:44 +0000, Greg Erskine
    <Greg.Erskine.aowu9b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

    > My advice is "throw piCorePlayer and the Raspberry Pi away".
    > Ask the wife/family what they want and buy that.


    LOL...

    Unfortunately my wife is disabled and uses a special tablet application to
    control things like playing CDs. So whatever alternative, it must have a
    decent API to control it.

  • #2
    Speed up starting piCoreplayer

    Hi,

    I use an RPi1 with piCoreplayer connected to an amplifier to play LMS music.
    Network connection is an USB WiFi (RealTec8192cu).

    This has been okay for many years. But there is one thing that is still
    bugging me: it takes a long time (60 seconds or so) for the RPi to become
    ready to play. Even the RPi3 requires 25 seconds or so.

    I can live with that but other members of the household do not understand
    that you cannot switch it on and then hit play...

    Are there ways to speed up the boot time?

    -- Johan

    Comment


      #3
      Speed up starting piCoreplayer

      How about side-stepping the issue and instead consider it like your TV and leave it always connected to the power?
      Depending on how your amp is connected to the Pu for the audio signal, you might need some user rules or scripting to handle the amp being powered on.
      Paul Webster
      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

      Comment


        #4
        Speed up starting piCoreplayer

        > Are there ways to speed up the boot time?

        Consider getting one of Philippe44's SqueezeAMPs ;-)
        Michael

        "It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
        (LMS: Settings/Information)

        Comment


        • #5
          Speed up starting piCoreplayer

          On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 13:44:52 +0000, Paul Webster
          <Paul.Webster.aow7an (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

          > How about side-stepping the issue and instead consider it like your TV
          > and leave it always connected to the power?


          Very few devices in our home are always connected to the power.
          Most notably not the main media centre (tv + set top box + router +
          amplifier + RPi (kodi) + chromecast + hdmi switch) and audio center (RPi
          (piCoreplayer) + amplifier).

          The startup time for the media center (mostly the set top box) is two
          minutes but that is not considered a problem. Maybe because it clearly
          indicates when it is ready.

          Can LMS play an audio signal when the piCoreplayer becomes ready?

          -- Johan

          Comment


          • #6
            Speed up starting piCoreplayer

            On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:07:30 +0200, Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:

            > Consider getting one of Philippe44's SqueezeAMPs ;-)


            Definitely an option. Thanks for the pointer!

            -- Johan

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              ....
              Can LMS play an audio signal when the piCoreplayer becomes ready?

              -- Johan
              Look at the "Tweaks" page in piCorePlayer's web interface. (I don't know if it's necessary to enable Beta mode in order to have access to this page.)

              About 1/3 of the way down the page is the "Auto start tweaks" section. You can select one of your Favorites to be played automatically when pCP boots. I have never tried this, so I am not at all certain that it will do what you want, but it appears to be worth a try.
              Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by RobbH View Post
                Look at the "Tweaks" page in piCorePlayer's web interface. (I don't know if it's necessary to enable Beta mode in order to have access to this page.)

                About 1/3 of the way down the page is the "Auto start tweaks" section. You can select one of your Favorites to be played automatically when pCP boots. I have never tried this, so I am not at all certain that it will do what you want, but it appears to be worth a try.

                This does work, at one time I had a rpi / LMS / squeezelite / usb dac . Digital pre-amp into active speaker (with input auto-sensng).


                All plugged into a power strip

                Switch on the power and after a few seconds, music

                ronnie

                Comment


                • #9
                  Speed up starting piCoreplayer

                  On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:35:46 +0000, RobbH
                  <RobbH.aowkpz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

                  > the "Auto start tweaks" section.
                  > You can select one of your Favorites to be played automatically when pCP
                  > boots.


                  Excellent! It even works as documented.

                  -- Johan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Speed up starting piCoreplayer

                    Hi Ronnie,

                    Hope you are doing well.

                    On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 19:39:37 +0000, Man in a van
                    <Man.in.a.van.aownon (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

                    > This does work, at one time I had a rpi / LMS / squeezelite / usb dac .
                    > Digital pre-amp into active speaker (with input auto-sensng).
                    > All plugged into a power strip
                    > Switch on the power and after a few seconds, music


                    Almost the same here. Except that it still takes substantially more than 'a
                    few seconds' .

                    The music I play is a short jingle so the wife knows the player is ready.

                    Regards,
                    Johan

                    Comment


                      #11
                      My advice is "throw piCorePlayer and the Raspberry Pi away".

                      Ask the wife/family what they want and buy that.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        Hi Ronnie,

                        Hope you are doing well.

                        On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 19:39:37 +0000, Man in a van
                        <Man.in.a.van.aownon (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

                        > This does work, at one time I had a rpi / LMS / squeezelite / usb dac .
                        > Digital pre-amp into active speaker (with input auto-sensng).
                        > All plugged into a power strip
                        > Switch on the power and after a few seconds, music


                        Almost the same here. Except that it still takes substantially more than 'a
                        few seconds' .

                        The music I play is a short jingle so the wife knows the player is ready.

                        Regards,
                        Johan
                        Hey Johan,

                        "Mustn't grumble" as we say


                        groetjes

                        ronnie

                        Sterk blijven

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X