LMS 8.4 treatment of ALBUMARTISTS in browsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMS 8.4 treatment of ALBUMARTISTS in browsing

I feel like LMS's treatment of browsing to ALBUMARTISTs is problematic, with at least one edge case that falls through the cracks.

With the following in Settings->My Music:
    • Browse Artists: Use single, configurable list of artists
    • Compilations: Group compilation albums together
    • Filter Contributor Roles at the Album & Track Level: Show all albums and tracks for an artist
    ALBUMARTISTs who exist ONLY in compilation albums cannot be browsed to in the webUI either directly via Artist or via Genre->Artist. Effectively, those ALBUMARTISTs are orphaned. They can only be found via advanced search on the ALBUMARTIST name or via browsing Albums or Genre->Various Artists->Album.

If, however, at least 1 album exists for that ALBUMARTIST which is NOT a compilation, then both albums (the non-compilation and the compilation) can be browsed to by Artist or Genre->Artist.

The "Show all albums and tracks for an artist" setting especially seems misleading here, since the help text for the setting states: "Filtering can be done when Browsing Artists to only show the albums & tracks that match the selected role (eg. ALBUMARTIST, COMPOSER etc.).

Even if the ALBUMARTIST name is also duplicated as COMPOSER in the tags and the My Music setting:
    • Composer, Band and Orchestra in Artists->Composer
    ..is checked, again, the ALBUMARTIST/COMPOSER cannot be browsed to via Artists or Genre->Artists.

What are folks' feelings about this? Is this behavior by design? Or should ALBUMARTISTs always be browse-able as artists?

A compilation only artist isn't an album artist. Therefore it is not listed as an artist. Might be disappointing at times, but it's what I'd expect to happen.
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

Originally posted by mherger View Post
      A compilation only artist isn't an album artist. Therefore it is not listed as an artist. Might be disappointing at times, but it's what I'd expect to happen.
      I have an album where I have two album artists which I separated with a semi colon. It shows up as a compilation. I have another album where I separated the album artists with a double back slash and that one doesn't appear as a compilation.
      Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
      Bedroom: Radio
      Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by slartibartfast View Post

I have an album where I have two album artists which I separated with a semi colon. It shows up as a compilation. I have another album where I separated the album artists with a double back slash and that one doesn't appear as a compilation.
        That's not a like for like comparison.

I think I am correct in saying that where no COMPILATION tag exists LMS will treat an Album as a compilation IF it contains tracks by more than one artist i.e. it works off the TRACKARTIST tags.

Are you sure that Album 1 in your example does not have a COMPILATION tag?

BTW the subtle difference between ARTIST1;ARTIST2 and ARTIST1\\ARTIST2 in mp3tag is that the former writes 1 ALBUMARTIST tag and the latter writes 2. LMS can intereprate both at scan stage as separate entries
        Last edited by d6jg; 2023-02-08, 16:08.
        Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
        Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
        Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
        Dining Room SB Radio
        Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
        Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
        Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Originally posted by d6jg View Post

That's not a like for like comparison.

I think I am correct in saying that where no COMPILATION tag exists LMS will treat an Album as a compilation IF it contains tracks by more than one artist i.e. it works off the TRACKARTIST tags.

Are you sure that Album 1 in your example does not have a COMPILATION tag?

BTW the subtle difference between ARTIST1;ARTIST2 and ARTIST1\\ARTIST2 in mp3tag is that the former writes 1 ALBUMARTIST tag and the latter writes 2. LMS can intereprate both at scan stage as separate entries
          You're right the first album does have a COMPILATION tag but I'm not sure where it came from. It does hide one of the album artists from the single artist list though.

Edit. I figured out why the COMPILATION tag was added by the ripping software. It's a Classical album and the Composer's have been added to the ARTIST tags instead of the COMPOSER tags. I should really fix the tags.
          Last edited by slartibartfast; 2023-02-08, 16:46.
          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
          Bedroom: Radio
          Bathroom: Radio

Comment

Originally posted by mherger View Post
            Here's an example of one of these albums. The file is tagged as a compilation and LMS says that "Bonefont, S" is the album artist.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bonefont_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	1629688

Here are the tags dumped from the flac file:

Code:
            METADATA block #3
              type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
              is last: false
              length: 4364
              vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.3.3 20190804
              comments: 2
                comment[0]: CUESHEET=CATALOG 5412217016821
            REM DISC_ID 11A2E87
            REM CDDB_ID 8e0dab0b
            REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN +3.01 dB
            REM REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK 0.968903
            PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
            REM COMPOSER "Bonefont, S"
            TITLE "Missa pro mortuis - Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel"
            REM GENRE "b_Renaissance"
            REM YEAR "2018"
            FILE "Missa pro mortuis - Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel.flac" WAVE
            REM COMMENT "Simone de Bonefont (c1500); Arnold van Bruck (1500-1554); Jacobus de Kerle (1531-5191); Orlandus Lassus (1531-1594); Nicolas Gombert (1495-1560); Missa pro mortuis cum quinque vocibus (1556); Huelgas Ensemble; Axelle Bernage, Rosemary Galton, Helen Cassano, Sabine Lutzenberger, cantus; Achim Schulz, Paul Bentley-Angell, Ozan Karagöz, Adriaan De Koster, Tom Phillips, Matthew Vine, tenors; Romain Bockler, Guillaume Olry, bassus; Paul Van Nevel, dir.; "
              TRACK 01 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018201
                TITLE "Missa pro mortuis cum quinque vocibus (1556) -1 Introitus: Raquiem aeternam"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     COMPOSER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     GENRE "b_Renaissance"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +2.99
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.536591
                INDEX 01 00:00:00
              TRACK 02 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018202
                TITLE "  2 Kyrie"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +3.01
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.444977
                INDEX 01 06:11:57
              TRACK 03 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018203
                TITLE "  3 Graduale: Si ambulem"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +4.18
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.572815
                INDEX 01 08:21:59
              TRACK 04 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018204
                TITLE "  4 Offertorium: Domine Jesu Christe"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +4.38
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.498413
                INDEX 01 13:35:65
              TRACK 05 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018205
                TITLE "  5 Sanctus"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +1.26
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.663574
                INDEX 01 22:59:31
              TRACK 06 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018206
                TITLE "  6 Agnus Dei"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +7.24
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.378479
                INDEX 01 27:10:19
              TRACK 07 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018207
                TITLE "  7 Communio: Lux aeterna"
                PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +6.48
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.327423
                INDEX 01 32:27:23
              TRACK 08 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018208
                TITLE "Mitten wir im Leben sind"
                PERFORMER "Bruck, A"
                REM     COMPOSER "Bruck, A"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +4.54
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.512543
                INDEX 01 35:48:00
              TRACK 09 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018209
                TITLE "Media vita in morte sumus"
                PERFORMER "Kerle, J"
                REM     COMPOSER "Kerle, J"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +0.40
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.769226
                INDEX 01 40:43:48
              TRACK 10 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018210
                PERFORMER "Lassus, O"
                REM     COMPOSER "Lassus, O"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +0.71
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.968903
                INDEX 01 46:30:31
              TRACK 11 AUDIO
                ISRC BEE642018211
                PERFORMER "Gombert, N"
                REM     COMPOSER "Gombert, N"
                REM     YEAR "2018"
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN +3.92
                REM     REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK 0.556641
                INDEX 01 51:55:58

comment[1]: COMPILATION=1
            ​
            Last edited by gharris999; 2023-02-08, 18:31.

Comment

I'm not too familiar with cuesheets. But the compilation only seems to be in a comment, rather than at the album level as "REM COMPILATION=1"? What would LMS report if you drilled down to the track's "View Tags"?
              Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
              (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

From my experiments, it seems like either method of compilation tagging with whole-album flacs is cool with LMS & the latest 8.4 commits. I.e. you can either put a "REM COMPILATION 1" before the TRACKs list in the vorbis comment embedded CUESHEET tag, or you can just add a separate vorbis comment COMPILATION=1 tag to the multi-track flac file.

For the former ("REM COMPILATION 1" in the embedded cuesheet), I think your last change to Slim/Formats/Playlists/CUE.pm in commit 80c0e53 on Mar 21, 2021 enabled that.

For the latter (separate COMPILATION=1 tag in the file), e.g:

Code:
                metaflac --preserve-modtime --no-utf8-convert --set-tag=COMPILATION=1 "$FLACFILE"
                ..that seems to work just as well. Here's a pic of the "View Tags" from that Bonefont album, referenced above:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bonefont_3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	1629782

With my library, scanning with a bash script, I've identified 49 albumartists who are "orphaned" this way, meaning the 58 flac files (and I'm guessing ~600 tracks) belonging to them are inaccessible via browsing ARTISTs->ALBUMs or GENRE->ARTISTs->ALBUMs (because the orphaned ARTISTs are invisible in the browse webUI.

My short-term, laughably ugly kluge solution has been to create one-track-two-seconds-of-silence non-compilation "albums" tagged with the genre & names of those orphaned albumartists. With that, all the orphaned albumartists become browse-to-able.

Last edited by gharris999; 2023-02-09, 18:27.

Comment

Originally posted by gharris999 View Post

Here's an example of one of these albums. The file is tagged as a compilation and LMS says that "Bonefont, S" is the album artist.
                  Here are the tags dumped from the flac file:

Code:
                  PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"
                  REM COMPOSER "Bonefont, S"
                  TITLE "Missa pro mortuis - Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel"
                  REM GENRE "b_Renaissance"
                  REM YEAR "2018"
                  FILE "Missa pro mortuis - Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel.flac" WAVE
                  REM COMMENT "Simone de Bonefont (c1500); Arnold van Bruck (1500-1554); Jacobus de Kerle (1531-5191); Orlandus Lassus (1531-1594); Nicolas Gombert (1495-1560); Missa pro mortuis cum quinque vocibus (1556); Huelgas Ensemble; Axelle Bernage, Rosemary Galton, Helen Cassano, Sabine Lutzenberger, cantus; Achim Schulz, Paul Bentley-Angell, Ozan Karagöz, Adriaan De Koster, Tom Phillips, Matthew Vine, tenors; Romain Bockler, Guillaume Olry, bassus; Paul Van Nevel, dir.; "
                  TRACK 01 AUDIO
                  ISRC BEE642018201
                  TITLE "Missa pro mortuis cum quinque vocibus (1556) -1 Introitus: Raquiem aeternam"
                  PERFORMER "Bonefont, S"​
                  ....​
                  The PERFORMER tag that precedes the file declaration and first track definition is equivalent to Album Artist. PERFORMER tags within track definitions are equivalent to Track Artist. That's purely based on my experience, not any official standards.
                  Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbH View Post

The PERFORMER tag that precedes the file declaration and first track definition is equivalent to Album Artist. PERFORMER tags within track definitions are equivalent to Track Artist. That's purely based on my experience, not any official standards.
                    Yes, I think that's exactly how Slim/Formats/Playlists/CUE.pm parses embedded cuesheets.

Comment

Working...
                    X