PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox is (not) dead... One year later.

MeSue
2013-09-28, 15:46
Well, one year after Logitech pulled the plug on Squeezebox, and I am enjoying my system more than ever thanks to an upgraded server machine and LMS 7.8. Thanks to Michael, Erland, pippin, cparker and all the others who are still working on cool stuff and improvements. I don't come here often enough because everything just keeps working. :-)

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

ModelCitizen
2013-09-28, 15:53
Yup, and I'm with Sue on that one. It just keeps working for me too.

:-)

Thanks very much all.

AndreE
2013-09-29, 02:09
Yep
The same on my side.
It is already quite some time passed since I have my installation working with no issues.
Family just loves it.
It is pity to know that such great offering is not developed further.
It has great potential and possibly would exist well being an independent company.

SlimChances
2013-09-29, 07:36
I just bought a new "back up" Touch. I am pretty confident that I can keep my system running for a long while to come

vrette
2013-09-29, 08:19
Well, one year after Logitech pulled the plug on Squeezebox, and I am enjoying my system more than ever thanks to an upgraded server machine and LMS 7.8. Thanks to Michael, Erland, pippin, cparker and all the others who are still working on cool stuff and improvements. I don't come here often enough because everything just keeps working. :-)

Here too. I wish Logitech would come to its senses and introduce a new Touch and Boom. I just checked eBay and a used Touch is typically selling for over the $299 original retail list price. They are missing out on a great opportunity.

pippin
2013-09-29, 10:53
How should they do that? The developers are obviously all gone (except for Michael).

It's probably easier for a 3rd party to com up with something Squeezebox compatible than for Logitech themselves.

Ikabob
2013-09-29, 16:28
Here too. I wish Logitech would come to its senses and introduce a new Touch and Boom. I just checked eBay and a used Touch is typically selling for over the $299 original retail list price. They are missing out on a great opportunity.

I totally agree with you. A new Touch and Boom is definitely needed. I love my Squeezebox ecosystem and would like to recommend it to my friends, but there is no longer any SB device that I can recommend. A UE Radio that is reset to Squeezebox software is nice, but not for a complete stereo SB system.

I really think that Logitech is "missing the boat" on this. The UE could readily be used by those who would like the simplicity of a basic listening system. The "downgraded" SB device could be available for the sophisticated audiophile who is willing to accept the learning curve to get the complex versatile functionality of the Squeezebox products.

A new Touch and new Boom would be very nice. Any chance?

vrette
2013-09-29, 20:25
How should they do that? The developers are obviously all gone (except for Michael).

It's probably easier for a 3rd party to com up with something Squeezebox compatible than for Logitech themselves.

I have no idea. Just wishful thinking I guess. I just hate to see such a great system with such great potential die a slow, long death.

JohnSwenson
2013-09-29, 21:55
I totally agree with you. A new Touch and Boom is definitely needed. I love my Squeezebox ecosystem and would like to recommend it to my friends, but there is no longer any SB device that I can recommend. A UE Radio that is reset to Squeezebox software is nice, but not for a complete stereo SB system.

I really think that Logitech is "missing the boat" on this. The UE could readily be used by those who would like the simplicity of a basic listening system. The "downgraded" SB device could be available for the sophisticated audiophile who is willing to accept the learning curve to get the complex versatile functionality of the Squeezebox products.

A new Touch and new Boom would be very nice. Any chance?

We ARE working on it! See the Community Squeeze project (www.communitysqueeze.org). We hope to have our first player in beta test this year. The software can already be used with a Wandboard if you wish to hook up to a USB DAC or HDMI. Our first player is going to be a headless "receiver" type unit so we can get something out there as soon as possible. Other incarnations will be coming out later.

John S.

Ikabob
2013-09-30, 16:07
We ARE working on it! See the Community Squeeze project (www.communitysqueeze.org). We hope to have our first player in beta test this year. The software can already be used with a Wandboard if you wish to hook up to a USB DAC or HDMI. Our first player is going to be a headless "receiver" type unit so we can get something out there as soon as possible. Other incarnations will be coming out later.

John S.

Thanks John. That is encouraging. I'll look forward to seeing some products!

hvb83
2013-10-01, 01:59
That seems very nice John! I for myself am looking forward to a headless client once more, one that exceeds the abilities of the Duet in terms of FLAC-capabilities and ease of setup. If stability can be maintained at the same time, we definitely have a winner there.

Muele
2013-10-01, 07:32
Did Logitech pull the plug?

I didn't notice. I'm happily running 7.7.2 without any issues at all.

Of course I'm kidding, I did know that Logitech pulled the plug. But except for devices only being available second hand, there really is no difference. Says something about how poorly Logitech did handle things.

bomboloni
2013-10-01, 16:03
A year ago when I first read that Logitech had pulled the plug I was running a single Squeezebox Duet on a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo with 2TB of storage in my living room. The discontinuation of the line caused me to upgrade to a Squeezebox Touch and I upgraded my NAS to a NetGear Ultra 2 with 4TB of storage. I now have a more powerful system and I doubled the amount of storage. I've since installed a second zone in the bedroom with the Duet and I bought a second Touch on sale a week after the product was cancelled, and I'm holding onto that as a backup.

So a year later, I have a faster, more robust system with double the storage. I've upgraded to 7.8 and with the Smartmix and Music & Artist Information plugins the system is significantly improved over what was available when Logitech pulled the plug.

leafygreens
2013-10-01, 17:38
With the availability of cheap smart phones and the Android app, it's quite easy to set up your own Squeezebox player. Connect the smartphone's output to an AMP and speakers, or just go directly into a set of computer speakers. The phone's interface lets you do the controlling. You can customize how big the speakers are, from small computer speakers to full size monitors.

You can even use a USB OTG cable connected to a USB dac to get better SQ.

HeadBanger
2013-10-02, 05:37

If the Squeezebox was resurrected then surely any new or existing staff with the relevant skills could pick it up? Not overnight of course.
A moot point though as we all know it ain't gonna happen!

djfake
2013-10-02, 06:58
Just out of curiosity, is there a fail safe plan to continue the community if Logitech really pulls the plug and kills this forum, etc?

Soulman
2013-10-02, 11:42
I recently purchased a (used) SB classic and a SB radio to replace my old SB2. Running a 7.5.4 server with about 6 TB data on a MacMini, I have almost no problems.

I hope I will be able to use the whole stuff for some time. Given the amount of stuff available on e-Bay and Community Squeeze, iPeng etc. I don't see too much problems in the next years.

Maybe I am better off then some other people, since I don't use any of the mysb.com etc. services.

erland
2013-10-02, 14:03
Just out of curiosity, is there a fail safe plan to continue the community if Logitech really pulls the plug and kills this forum, etc?

I'm sure someone will post a link to a new forum on Logitech official support forum at http://forums.logitech.com if this forum would suddenly disappear.
It's impossible to say what will happen with the old forum content in such scenario, but I believe it's at least mirrored to some mailing list archive so it won't be completely lost.

garym
2013-10-02, 15:54
I'm sure someone will post a link to a new forum on Logitech official support forum at http://forums.logitech.com if this forum would suddenly disappear.
It's impossible to say what will happen with the old forum content in such scenario, but I believe it's at least mirrored to some mailing list archive so it won't be completely lost.

for example:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices.general

go to about page 1860 (upper right side of page menu) and you'll see posts going waaaay back.

GeeJay
2013-10-04, 10:08

John S.

I haven't been following developments that closely, so I REALLY appreciate the work y'all have done to consolidate all the efforts on one site. Even if I don't need a player when some of these get to the production stage, I plan to purchase just so I can keep up to date...and support the community.

Many thanks!

shacky
2013-10-05, 11:50
I'm dreading the day I can no longer boot my Duet as my remote LCD is just about gone. I only use it now to get it back on line when necessary and iPeng all other times. Have Touch in my living room (Duet is in office) feeding outboard DAC.

I love SB!!!

willsy
2013-10-08, 04:25
When I heard recently that they are officially supporting the transistion of a UE radio to a Squeezebox radio, I thought Logitech had finally seen sense and were maybe bringing back Squeezebox! From everyone's comments here, I think this is not the case!! I think maybe they did this to cover warranties...

It's such a shame as I love my Squeezebox... I have 3 radios and the server running on a Synology NAS. Recently I've stopped tinkering with it because I know some time soon they will pull the plug on mysb.com. As I use Internet radio a lot, this is a lot of my functionality missing and I will look for something else.

Such a shame... I only bought my Radio's 6 months before they annouced the new and improved UE radio!! :mad:

Cheers

Will.

asplundj
2013-10-08, 04:39
When I heard recently that they are officially supporting the transistion of a UE radio to a Squeezebox radio, I thought Logitech had finally seen sense and were maybe bringing back Squeezebox! From everyone's comments here, I think this is not the case!! I think maybe they did this to cover warranties...

It's such a shame as I love my Squeezebox... I have 3 radios and the server running on a Synology NAS. Recently I've stopped tinkering with it because I know some time soon they will pull the plug on mysb.com. As I use Internet radio a lot, this is a lot of my functionality missing and I will look for something else.

Such a shame... I only bought my Radio's 6 months before they annouced the new and improved UE radio!! :mad:

Cheers

Will.

But you don't need mysb.com to listen to internet radio. half of my SB use is internet radio and I haven't even entered my mysb.com user info into LMS. I simply store direct URL's to radio stations as favorites. I've also saved podcast feeds as favorites to listen to podcasts. Besides as I understand it TuneIn should work without mysb.com on LMS 7.8

garym
2013-10-08, 07:01
But you don't need mysb.com to listen to internet radio. half of my SB use is internet radio and I haven't even entered my mysb.com user info into LMS. I simply store direct URL's to radio stations as favorites. I've also saved podcast feeds as favorites to listen to podcasts. Besides as I understand it TuneIn should work without mysb.com on LMS 7.8

all correct. The only thing I'd lose today if mysb.com went away is ability to play Pandora or SiriusXM (as both need the mysb.com handshake). I'd still have internet radio (I use direct URLs for stations), spotify (because of Triode's 3rd party plugin), and of course my own music files.

bklaas
2013-10-08, 11:33
A year removed from the official end of the line for Squeezebox, and at least in my case several years past when I considered it a dead product as far as Logitech was concerned, Squeezebox remains a huge part of my daily life. I have *11* "in production" squeezeboxes, with a few more in reserve.

Typical weekday:
* First thing in the morning, reach over to the SB Touch (controlling an SB Touch across the room) and queue up Staff Picks->Ben's Picks->Podcasts->NPR News Hourly Summary. Listen to the 5 minute news cast to hear about the latest Washington D.C. buffoonery.
* While making dinner, use Kitchen SB Touch (controlling an SB Classic in the other room) to queue up audio entertainment. Radio Paradise gets the most airplay during dinner prep. I also am a heavy user of Local Music->New Music at this time in the day. Not sure what I'd do without the chronological album sort that menu item provides.
* At dinner, play something appropriate for the meal from my local collection. For example, Calexico is the Official Band of Taco Tuesday(TM). Emiliana Torrini is half-italian, so she works great for pizza and pasta (and, if I ever cook Icelandic, she'd get the occasional nod over Bjork and Sigur Rios). On soup night I can't think of anything better than The National, because so good. but so sad.

Typical Saturday:
* Saturday is waffle day ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?39864-Anyone-with-a-Waffles-recipe&p=247602&viewfull=1#post247602 ). Depending on mood, stream either TSF Jazz from Paris or NPR Weekend Edition (pro tip: It's pledge week for your NPR affiliate? Go find one from a different part of the U.S. by browsing the Internet Radio menu. No more pledge week!)
* Play some table tennis during the day to anyone who dares take on my crazy ninja ping-pong skills. Table tennis playing is best accompanied by the "mega mix" Local Music->Random Mix->Song Mix.
* Saturday night my daughters launch a dance party in their room using the SB Boom. Downstairs, I play prankster and, using either the smartphone app or the web browser, keep pushing "Bangarang" by Skrillex ( http://www.kottke.org/12/05/kids-review-a-skrillex-song) on to their playlist, replacing Kelly Clarkson. This goes over poorly, so I go easy and don't do it more than 10 times.

Typical Sunday:
* Drink tea to relieve the cobwebs caused by excessive Skrillex playing, listen to the current Staff Picks->Ben's Picks->Podcasts->Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
* Oh boy, the house is a huge mess. Sync up the first floor with the second floor and play something awesome, loudly, from the local library. Lately: Silversun Pickups, Girl Talk ( not safe for work, but highly recommended: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/All+Day/5235582), Alt-J, Dragonette.

There is no existing product on the market that can deliver that level of aural awesomeness. Not even the vaunted Sonos (the UI is your smartphone or tablet) can give me the whole house control that my existing Squeezebox setup does, largely because of the prominent use of SB Touches as tabletop controllers through the house. Or, to put it a different way, I can only control everything through my smartphone or tablet if I a) can remember where I put the *!@#! thing, and b) if I can take it from the steely grip of one of my daughters. Squeezebox in its role as an audio unitasker actually has a native UI, which for all of the other plusses of the ecosystem is THE differentiator for me.

Squeezebox is dead. Long live Squeezebox!

cheers,
#!/ben

Basement: 2x SBRadio in table-tennis/billiards room. Synced and configured to do L channel through one and R channel through the other. Controlled with an SB Touch in a more accessible spot.
First Floor: SBClassic into an A+B Stereo Denon Receiver. A speakers are in living room, B speakers in Kitchen. Kitchen counter has an SB Touch which functions as a controller.
Second Floor: Boom in the kids room, Boom in the guest room. Master bedroom/bath SB Touch hooked up to A+B Stereo NAD Receiver. A speakers in bedroom, B speakers in bathroom. SB Touch on my nightstand to control it, SB Radio on the other nightstand.
Bonus: floating SB Radio with Battery. Mostly used on the back deck.

MeSue
2013-10-08, 11:52
Bklaas, FTW! Awesomest post in this thread!

avp1
2013-10-08, 21:33
I haven't been following developments that closely, so I REALLY appreciate the work y'all have done to consolidate all the efforts on one site. Even if I don't need a player when some of these get to the production stage, I plan to purchase just so I can keep up to date...and support the community.

Many thanks!

I follow CommunitySqueeze project since April. And I should say that it is close to production quality now (at least on original Wandboard). Today I ran Wandboard player for the full day without any glitches. Both digital output and USB DAC work very well after initial setup. USB DAC connection is MUCH MORE stable than from SB Touch (which I also have) at all audio formats, including DSD64 over WiFi (wich chokes Touch). I can now recommend trying this thing to people who need universal network player.

maggior
2013-10-09, 07:09
I play prankster and, using either the smartphone app or the web browser, keep pushing "Bangarang" by Skrillex

I used to do this to my wife while I was at work. She would be playing something mellow like 10,000 maniacs and I would change it to play Megadeth :-).

My squeezeboxes are all very actively used along with android and iOS players.

Right on Ben - nothing else compares!

jhonsberger@msn.com
2013-10-10, 13:43
Give it one more year.

Labarum
2013-10-13, 05:28
Are there any hints about when mysb.com might vanish?

Of course I can reconfigure to do without it, but my Boom does what I want via mysb.com while the Classic works to the local server.

No sign of second hand Squeezeboxes falling in price, which is an indication of how wrong Logitech have got it.

erland
2013-10-14, 15:07
Are there any hints about when mysb.com might vanish?

No.

bernt
2013-10-17, 23:11
Just got my hands on a second Slimdevices SB3 (Silver). I love it!!! :D