PDA

View Full Version : accessing to a remote logitech media server

cdubet
2013-09-23, 14:10
Hello

I have at home a squeezebox and a small nas where the logitech media server is running. Everything is fine and as I was happy with it, I bough a new squeezebox for my parents
I wished them to be able to listen to the music stored in my NAS but it does not work: the squeezebox is unable to connect to the media server.:(
If I use from a pc an other program (like softsqueeze) it works. So the ports should be OK (and I have checked with nmap)
The squeezebox is even unable to connect to the media server from my home if I give the external IP address (with the internal one, it works fine)

Question:
Has anybody tried to connect to a local NAS from an other place ?
Is my problem a bandwidth/timeout problem ?

any idea why I cannot connect from the external IP even if the port 9000 and 9090 are opened (for UPD and TCP)

Thanks for any input

callesoroe
2013-09-23, 14:42
Hello

I have at home a squeezebox and a small nas where the logitech media server is running. Everything is fine and as I was happy with it, I bough a new squeezebox for my parents
I wished them to be able to listen to the music stored in my NAS but it does not work: the squeezebox is unable to connect to the media server.:(
If I use from a pc an other program (like softsqueeze) it works. So the ports should be OK (and I have checked with nmap)
The squeezebox is even unable to connect to the media server from my home if I give the external IP address (with the internal one, it works fine)

Question:
Has anybody tried to connect to a local NAS from an other place ?
Is my problem a bandwidth/timeout problem ?

any idea why I cannot connect from the external IP even if the port 9000 and 9090 are opened (for UPD and TCP)

Thanks for any input

Does softsqueeze Work when you are on your parrents Network ???
Do you have a fixed ip adress from your ISP ? If not maybe you should get a free DYNDNS at DYNDNS.ORG . Then you can choose a domain name and Automatic get your actual ip adress.
And then you can connect to "domainname.dyndns.org:9000"
You need to forward port 3483 instead of 9090

cdubet
2013-09-23, 22:52
Hallo,
First thanks for answering.
I have a fixed IP. With softsqueeze I am able to connect to my server from my home using the external IP address. With the squeezebox at home, I cannot access the server using the external IP address but using the internal one it works
I have tried also to forward the port 3483 but without any success. Anyway according to nmap, it seems that the port 3483 is not opened on the media server

cdubet
2013-09-24, 00:01
after spying what was going on on the server with tcpdump, I found the problem
It seems that the squeeze box was confused to have the 2 remote libraries (one was the local one, one was the external one) but leading to the same server name
While I was trying to connect to the external IP, I got tcp/IP meesages to the internal
I removed the local library, rebooted the squeezebox and it works :-)
I am not sure now it will work from an other place as at home I already have "connecting to xxx" from time to time when I go through my router.

Does somebody try to connect to his NAS located at home where youhave an ADSL/cable connection
Which upload speed do you have ?

callesoroe
2013-09-24, 00:14
after spying what was going on on the server with tcpdump, I found the problem
It seems that the squeeze box was confused to have the 2 remote libraries (one was the local one, one was the external one) but leading to the same server name
While I was trying to connect to the external IP, I got tcp/IP meesages to the internal
I removed the local library, rebooted the squeezebox and it works :-)
I am not sure now it will work from an other place as at home I already have "connecting to xxx" from time to time when I go through my router.

Does somebody try to connect to his NAS located at home where youhave an ADSL/cable connection
Which upload speed do you have ?

I have a 5 mbit upload and it Works fine with my hostname.dyndns.org:9000 soloution.
I use it in the train and at Work. I am able to stream in FLAC quality, but in the train the Network is not very fast, so I use bit limiting to 128 kb there.

yeomanspc
2013-09-25, 13:54
I do all the time. Slow upload (adsl max is ~440kb iirc)but it usually works ok, occasional re-buffering. But it was chewing up line capacity when being used, so just created a Raspberry Pi loaded with LMS with a 1gb USB disk for local serving instead of remote streaming (for daughter) and it's better if you do a lot. Only thing she misses with this is MusicIP ( and therefore Sugarcube).

adhawkins
2013-09-27, 12:44
Hi,

In article <yeomanspc.628r7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
yeomanspc<yeomanspc.628r7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I do all the time. Slow upload (adsl max is ~440kb iirc)but it usually
> works ok, occasional re-buffering. But it was chewing up line capacity
> when being used, so just created a Raspberry Pi with a 1gb USB disk for
> remote and it's better if you do a lot. Only thing I miss with this is
> MusicIP ( and therefore Sugarcube).

Works just fine for me, I have a decent upload, but I limit the rate on my
'remote' player to something like 128 or 192 kbps anyway.

Andy