PDA

View Full Version : Is there a plugin to adjust stereo balance or play just one channel as mono?

hoffsta
2013-09-16, 23:02
So I have a Squeezelite instance installed on a Raspberry Pi hooked to a featureless amp board for my patio stereo. Sometimes I'd like to just listen to one of the speakers and not blast music out across the entire yard but my amp has no tone or balance controls. It would be great if I could just mute one channel, or even better, join both stereo channels into one mono channel. Is there a LMS plugin that can achieve this? Ideally the controls would be accessible from iPeng somewhere. Thanks!

d6jg
2013-09-17, 11:40
Why don't you just buy a two into one cable

ralphy
2013-09-17, 12:10
Have you tried going to Settings->Player->Audio->Output Channel Mode at the bottom you can choose to have only left, only right or both?

adamdea
2013-09-19, 08:25
So I have a Squeezelite instance installed on a Raspberry Pi hooked to a featureless amp board for my patio stereo. Sometimes I'd like to just listen to one of the speakers and not blast music out across the entire yard but my amp has no tone or balance controls. It would be great if I could just mute one channel, or even better, join both stereo channels into one mono channel. Is there a LMS plugin that can achieve this? Ideally the controls would be accessible from iPeng somewhere. Thanks!
Yes the inguz plugin will do that, as well as a while lot more (eg equalisation, time delay between channels, drc). Bit tricky to get it working though. Assuming it will work under Squeezelite.

SeanMiddleton
2016-03-06, 03:31

Easiest way to do this is to log into your Player (I'm using PiCorePlayer) using your favourite SSH/terminal programme (I use Bitvise Tunnelier). Once logged in at the prompt type 'alsamixer' (no quotes). Use F6 to select your soundcard and then use the letters QWE and ZXC on your keyboard to increase (QWE) or decrease (ZXC) volume of Left/Both/Right channels respectively. Once you're happy save the changes by typing 'alsactl store'

hoffsta
2016-03-07, 09:26
Cool, thanks!

mooblie
2016-03-08, 05:01
Why don't you just buy a two into one cable

Technically not a good idea, as you will be effectively shorting together the L and R outputs - it probably won't, but MIGHT damage the player's output drivers.

You need at least a passive mixer in the cable, with a resistor in each core of the L and R signals, BEFORE they are shorted together.