PDA

View Full Version : Adding audio to an extra room.

Swiftie
2013-09-13, 09:51
My aged mother-in-law has moved in with us, and I'm resisting installing her mini HiFi with its 3-CD changer. She has a TV, with audio in which is adequate for her listening needs.

I'm wondering which Squeezebox products would work for her? I use a duet, and I can buy a used one, so I know this would work, and I'd be on familiar territory.

Or should I go for a Boom, and forget the tinny speakers in the TV? I suspect this may be easier, as the room has ethernet, but marginal WiFi.

Apesbrain
2013-09-13, 10:49
Are you sure about this strategy? I love my mother but she can barely operate a CD player. (A feat I hope I can still manage when I'm her age.) If I did what you're considering, I'd be signing up for constant technical support.

Dogberry2
2013-09-13, 11:55
Though a Duet would surely work, the Controller might be a bit confusing. I do think a Boom would be a good option, although the navigation interface might also take a bit of time for her to master. I suppose the question is, what will she be listening to, and how much browsing or searching will she be likely to engage in? If her needs are simpler, such as dedicated Internet radio stations or playlists, the preset buttons on either Boom or Radio would be ideal. Anyone can use them. If she will want to select her own specific music, the navigation will take a bit longer to learn, but for an older person with lessened visual acuity and manual dexterity, the Boom's interface might be preferable to the Controller's.

aubuti
2013-09-13, 12:29
I suppose the question is, what will she be listening to, and how much browsing or searching will she be likely to engage in? If her needs are simpler, such as dedicated Internet radio stations or playlists, the preset buttons on either Boom or Radio would be ideal. Anyone can use them. If she will want to select her own specific music, the navigation will take a bit longer to learn, but for an older person with lessened visual acuity and manual dexterity, the Boom's interface might be preferable to the Controller's.
Exactly. The key questions are (1) what does she want to listen to, and (2) how much does she _want_ something different from her mini-hifi with CD changer? If she only wants to listen to broadcast radio and/or her CD collection, let her use the mini-hifi that she knows.

If, on the other hand, she's really itching to listen to the music collection on your server, or internet radio, or online services like Pandora then it may be worth introducing her to an SB. Like Dogberry2 says, the preset buttons on a Radio or Boom are great for internet radio or pre-made playlists. Going the tv route with a Duet (or Touch or SB3 etc) is probably adding more complexity for no real benefit.