PDA

View Full Version : Touch + LMS .... radio stream volume levels ?

castalla
2013-08-19, 05:00
I have LMS running on both a Pi and a Joggler.

If I select the Pi and play a BBC stream from iPlayer the volume on my Touch is a few degrees lower than the same stream accessed from the Joggler LMS.

Are there any obscure settings in LMS which could be different between the two systems?

bpa
2013-08-19, 05:14
Are they both playing the exact same URL ?
If using the BBCiPlayer plugin it is possible one is playing WMA and another AAC.

castalla
2013-08-19, 05:30
Are they both playing the exact same URL ?
If using the BBCiPlayer plugin it is possible one is playing WMA and another AAC.

Hmmm .... thought they were the same ... maybe not!

One is set for an iplayer url, the other is a spdr:

I've just tried again using the same url (radiotime) from mysb.com - there still a small difference in volume. All AAC streams.

jimbobvfr400
2013-08-19, 05:54
What LMS versions are on the pi and joggler?

I believe recent 7.8 versions have a global gain setting for gain, added so people running plug ins that can mix local and online tracks (I. E. Smartmix) don't get big variations in volume level.

It's possible that setting might be doing something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

castalla
2013-08-19, 06:11
What LMS versions are on the pi and joggler?

I believe recent 7.8 versions have a global gain setting for gain, added so people running plug ins that can mix local and online tracks (I. E. Smartmix) don't get big variations in volume level.

It's possible that setting might be doing something.

Both running 7.8 latest nightly.

Can't see any obvious differences in audio settings on both lms setups.

jimbobvfr400
2013-08-19, 06:52
I'm not running 7.8 yet but I believe the settings I mentioned are actually under the player settings and are per device. That's just from memory so I could easily be mistaken.

aubuti
2013-08-19, 06:54
I'm guessing you have checked this, but just in case, the setting to which jimbobvfr400 refers is Settings > Player > [choose your Touch] > Audio > Default adjustment for remote streams

bpa
2013-08-19, 06:56
I've just tried again using the same url (radiotime) from mysb.com - there still a small difference in volume. All AAC streams.

You are sure about AAC - the radioTime url allows for a number of formats to be returned in a playlust and player picks a playable one.
Are you in the UK or outside the UK using a proxy or outside the UK with no proxy ?

Why are you testing with a live stream as you are comparing on the same player but the stream will be different - why not pick a "Play Again" program which means it is identical.

That aside. The LMS Setting Adavnced "FileTypes" for AAC setting is identical on both Joggler and Pi ?

castalla
2013-08-19, 07:07
You are sure about AAC - the radioTime url allows for a number of formats to be returned in a playlust and player picks a playable one.
Are you in the UK or outside the UK using a proxy or outside the UK with no proxy ?

Why are you testing with a live stream as you are comparing on the same player but the stream will be different - why not pick a "Play Again" program which means it is identical.

That aside. The LMS Setting Adavnced "FileTypes" for AAC setting is identical on both Joggler and Pi ?

Okay .. outside without proxy.

I'll try your suggestion with a Listen Again stream - good idea. I'll dig into the File Types settings.

It's not a great difference - I'm not complaining ... just wondering

bpa
2013-08-19, 08:15
Okay .. outside without proxy.

I'll try your suggestion with a Listen Again stream - good idea. I'll dig into the File Types settings.

It's not a great difference - I'm not complaining ... just wondering

These things are intersting curiousities but comparing loudness without a meter is very hard.

MY underlying thoughts (assuming the LMS volume level is numerically exactly the same) are
1. AAC stream for UK vs outside UK are different speeds but also use different AAC quality options.
2. If one LMS is transcoding - perhaps fixed point vs floating point decoders of AAC.

castalla
2013-08-19, 08:59
These things are intersting curiousities but comparing loudness without a meter is very hard.

MY underlying thoughts (assuming the LMS volume level is numerically exactly the same) are
1. AAC stream for UK vs outside UK are different speeds but also use different AAC quality options.
2. If one LMS is transcoding - perhaps fixed point vs floating point decoders of AAC.

I think it's down to the Pi - I notice the same volume difference when comparing the Touch with the Pi and LMS on a Cubieboard.

bpa
2013-08-19, 11:37
I think it's down to the Pi - I notice the same volume difference when comparing the Touch with the Pi and LMS on a Cubieboard.

To check the numeric volume level sent by the LMS - you could enable logging for slimproto and look for the audg command.

castalla
2013-08-19, 11:50
To check the numeric volume level sent by the LMS - you could enable logging for slimproto and look for the audg command.

So, does the logging go to the main server log?

I think I'd need precise directions on what to select, etc I tried enabling Slimproto debug - but can't see any audg in the server log.

bpa
2013-08-19, 12:34
So, does the logging go to the main server log?

I think I'd need precise directions on what to select, etc I tried enabling Slimproto debug - but can't see any audg in the server log.

I just did a test - unfortunately the log shows the audg command but does not show the volume data so to show the values of audg would need to modify the LMS source files.

How are you setting to volume at the moment to ensure both LMS have the same numerical value ?

castalla
2013-08-19, 12:45
I just did a test - unfortunately the log shows the audg command but does not show the volume data so to show the values of audg would need to modify the LMS source files.

How are you setting to volume at the moment to ensure both LMS have the same numerical value ?

Good question! I don't know. I just start each server - select a stream on the Touch - adjust volume say to 32.

Switch LMS server - select stream -then increase or decrease the volume to adjust for the difference.

bpa
2013-08-19, 17:13
Good question! I don't know. I just start each server - select a stream on the Touch - adjust volume say to 32
How do you do this. The Touch volume control is a slider with no numbers and my WebUI vol control goes up into 10's