PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier advice - small form factor - old speakers - help needed

castalla
2013-08-01, 04:23
I have a pair of Mordant Short MS 3.40 speakers - 120w 8ohms - which sound great, using an old Sony amp.

I want to replace the amp with a smaller unit (with DAC).

Two amps seem to fit (bearing in mind the WAF variable) but would they be suitable for the MS speakers:

a. Topping TP32 - only 10 w at 8ohms

b. Teac H01 - claims 22 w

There's a big price difference - and I can't discover if the Teac is linux compatible for the usb dac.

Any comments? Advice?

Thanks.

d6jg
2013-08-01, 16:07
I have a Topping TP21 (no DAC) which has 25w x 2 iirc. Sounds good with a pair of Wharfedale Cubes but I think 10w is too low for your MS speakers. Have you considered a Behringer UAC202 about 25 coupled with a decent small amp? Definitely Linux compatible.

castalla
2013-08-01, 16:28
I have a Topping TP21 (no DAC) which has 25w x 2 iirc. Sounds good with a pair of Wharfedale Cubes but I think 10w is too low for your MS speakers. Have you considered a Behringer UAC202 about 25 coupled with a decent small amp? Definitely Linux compatible.

Thanks. There are so many factors I have to satisfy - the MS speakers have to stay (other half swears by them!). Amp should have remote control - and not look like something out of a Soviet-era Mig fighter. The TEAC looks good but is too expensive really for me to justify - also I'm not sure it'll work with squeezelite. Also, there's a unit number limit on how many boxes are strewn around. Told you there are many factors to encompass!

Oh dear ...

callesoroe
2013-08-08, 00:02
I have a pair of Mordant Short MS 3.40 speakers - 120w 8ohms - which sound great, using an old Sony amp.

I want to replace the amp with a smaller unit (with DAC).

Two amps seem to fit (bearing in mind the WAF variable) but would they be suitable for the MS speakers:

a. Topping TP32 - only 10 w at 8ohms

b. Teac H01 - claims 22 w

There's a big price difference - and I can't discover if the Teac is linux compatible for the usb dac.

Any comments? Advice?

Thanks.

The Teac A-H01 seems like a very fine product. And with the build in Bang & Olufsen ICE-power amps, you can expect very
good sound.