PDA

View Full Version : Current performance of ALAC?

usc95
2013-07-11, 14:03
I am using an Atom powered Win 7 nettop to host my LMS. I have been ripping to FLAC for years but would now like to use ALAC since I have just bought a Mac and Itunes is so dead simple to rip and tag with on the Mac. I have two radios, a classic, a boom and pogoplug running squeezelite in my Squeezebox family I would like to play these ALAC files with. Will my Atom powered nettop have enough grunt to transcode the ALAC files easily or should I learn how to rip to FLAC on my Mac and forget ALAC?

pippin
2013-07-11, 14:19
Transcoding ALAC to FLAC doesn't require an awful lot of processing power, even a NAS should have no problem with that.
The limitation is usually that you need an ALAC decoder and some NAS don't have that.
Under Windows this probably means you'll need to have iTunes/QuickTime installed.

garym
2013-07-11, 14:20
I am using an Atom powered Win 7 nettop to host my LMS. I have been ripping to FLAC for years but would now like to use ALAC since I have just bought a Mac and Itunes is so dead simple to rip and tag with on the Mac. I have two radios, a classic, a boom and pogoplug running squeezelite in my Squeezebox family I would like to play these ALAC files with. Will my Atom powered nettop have enough grunt to transcode the ALAC files easily or should I learn how to rip to FLAC on my Mac and forget ALAC?

If you're interested in lossless files, you probably care about accuracy of rips as well. Itunes is not a "secure" ripper (such as EAC, dbpoweramp, CueTools), nor does it use ACCURATERIP comparisons. Of course 99% of the time it really doesn't matter. But for the OCD among us, worrying over the 1% non-bitperfect rips keeps us up at night. ;-)

usc95
2013-07-11, 14:45
Thank you both for the reply. Glad to hear my little nettop should be able to get the job done. I am considering using Itunes to rip since I am tired of maintaining two libraries. I guess the first time I hear any issues with the files I might change my mind but as of now the convenience factor of maintaining just one library will likely win out.

garym
2013-07-11, 14:48
Thank you both for the reply. Glad to hear my little nettop should be able to get the job done. I am considering using Itunes to rip since I am tired of maintaining two libraries. I guess the first time I hear any issues with the files I might change my mind but as of now the convenience factor of maintaining just one library will likely win out.

Understand. There is the option of ripping to ALAC with dbpoweramp. Then you get the benefit of a secure ripper that uses accuraterip and a single library.

Wombat
2013-07-11, 17:30
If you really consider switching your ripping over to the Mac i suggest using XLD ripper converting to ALAC. Its ripping security should be superior to itunes. It also creates neat logs comparable or even more detailed as the ones in EAC and dbpoweramp.

GeeJay
2013-07-13, 17:33
I switched over to Mac at the beginning of the year, and am also using XLD for ripping. I miss dbpoweramp, but XLD at least gets the job done. Plus, it will rip to FLAC, too.