PDA

View Full Version : HDMI audio out on SqueezePlug -- analog or digital?

the nightfly
2013-07-10, 18:00
If I hook a SqueezePlug device up to the HDMI input on my A/V receiver, is it going to send a PCM bitstream to the receiver's built-in DAC, or is it going to send analog audio processed by the Pi's own DAC? If the latter, is there any way to switch it to PCM digital, or am I going to have to give up on HDMI entirely, and spring for a USB to SPDIF interface to get a digital bitstream to the receiver?

sbp
2013-07-10, 22:52
Hi if you try the piCorePlayer on your raspberry I have seen reports that you will be able to get 96/24 audio out of the HDMI (192/24 produces noise)
Edit: It is digital output.

Look here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97803-piCoPlayer-Squeezelite-on-Microcore-linux-An-embedded-OS-in-RAM-with-Squeezelite&p=749872&viewfull=1#post749872

Steen

Julf
2013-07-11, 02:52
If I hook a SqueezePlug device up to the HDMI input on my A/V receiver, is it going to send a PCM bitstream to the receiver's built-in DAC, or is it going to send analog audio processed by the Pi's own DAC?

The audio on a HDMI connection is digital, so it will use the DAC in the receiver.